NFL Draftcountdown 2 round mock draft.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that Jerry is gonna trade our 2nd round pick to DET for WR Roy Williams, draft the best available CB at #22, and trade down at the #29 pick to get back a 2nd rounder and possibly a 1st or 2nd next year. There's no way we draft two 1st rounders (cough WARE and Spears)

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
i just don't understand the fascination with jones at the end of the first. why would you possibly draft a backup RB with your first pick... especially when you drafted your starter in the 4th.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Muhast;1936678 said:
he is a playmaker. I bet the pats grab him at 7. If he drops to us, i'd flip out.

Talib at 7?

Whoa.....hold on there.

Maybe its just be but I don't think Talib is top 20 talent. Hes a great athlete but as some have said, including me, his speed isn't there.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Teague31;1937066 said:
i just don't understand the fascination with jones at the end of the first. why would you possibly draft a backup RB with your first pick... especially when you drafted your starter in the 4th.

Because that backup is going to play a vital role in the two-back set.

Or look at it this way:

At 22 and 28, who are you really going to get that makes a significant impact next year?

A wide out? He's going to likely sit for a year, especially with TO and Crayton starting, Glenn possibly back next year and Hurd and Stanback in the wings.

A corner? He's likely going to be a nickel back anyway.

An offensive lineman?
Linebacker?
Defensive end, tackle?

The only position that has consistently proven to yield strong starters in the first year is at running back.

If Julius Jones goes, we're going to need a running back to spell Marion Barber, especially since it was reported that MBIII tired at the end of the Giants game.

That's why you draft a running back in the first round.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;1936477 said:
LOL @ the idea that Cason will go late 2nd.

after the combine etc. Talib will be going much higher IMO

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1937082 said:
Because that backup is going to play a vital role in the two-back set.

Or look at it this way:

At 22 and 28, who are you really going to get that makes a significant impact next year?

A wide out? He's going to likely sit for a year, especially with TO and Crayton starting, Glenn possibly back next year and Hurd and Stanback in the wings.

A corner? He's likely going to be a nickel back anyway.

An offensive lineman?
Linebacker?
Defensive end, tackle?

The only position that has consistently proven to yield strong starters in the first year is at running back.

If Julius Jones goes, we're going to need a running back to spell Marion Barber, especially since it was reported that MBIII tired at the end of the Giants game.

That's why you draft a running back in the first round.

i don't see why a first round WR could not start over Crayton.. did you see the playoffs? as far as RB's are concerned, the league is chock full of quality RB's that were drafted after round 1..... westbrook, portis, gore, jones-drew, etc.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Teague31;1937090 said:
i don't see why a first round WR could not start over Crayton.. did you see the playoffs? as far as RB's are concerned, the league is chock full of quality RB's that were drafted after round 1..... westbrook, portis, gore, jones-drew, etc.

Well, I just don't see this receiving class as being that good. I could be wrong. But if so, I definitely don't think a WR in the first is going to replace Crayton.
Very rarely do receivers make an impact in their first season. But running backs always seem to make a big impact in their rookie year.

Yes, there is depth at the position. But I would just soon as get a good one early (one with less guess work) then one later after the, pardon the pun, run on them has already begun.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1937088 said:
after the combine etc. Talib will be going much higher IMO
I think Talib is going to plummet after running a 4.5-4.6.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
burmafrd;1936705 said:
I have seen Talib get burned. He is a smart kid but he just does not have the recovery speed you need.

I agree with your assessment....and hope we do not go there.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;1937109 said:
I think Talib is going to plummet after running a 4.5-4.6.

we'll see -- I'd hope he's smart enough to be working with a legit trainer right now b/c he's the best player in that CB group - not having super speed has served him well as he's developed his game more than most of the other cb prospects

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Woods;1936960 said:
I just wonder if M Jenkins, McKelvin and Cromartie will be gone by 22.
If that's the case, that still leaves Cason and T Porter, I suppose.

I think we'll have to do a re-rating after the Combine. If Cason run sub 4.5, I would think he'll be top 15-20 again.
The Texans are looking for a CB w/ the 18th overall pick. :( I would be very happy w/ Tracy Porter at 22.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
abersonc;1937319 said:
we'll see -- I'd hope he's smart enough to be working with a legit trainer right now b/c he's the best player in that CB group - not having super speed has served him well as he's developed his game more than most of the other cb prospects
The Guys a playmaker, I could live with his lack of Top end speed, look at how fast Reeves is but he has no coverage Skills.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1937390 said:
The Guys a playmaker, I could live with his lack of Top end speed, look at how fast Reeves is but he has no coverage Skills.
I agree. Talib is the best playmaker in the entire group of corners. Other than Cason he is the most Nfl ready of all he others. I look for him to run a 4.4 to 4.5. Trust me fellas if we take this guy he will have a great career in Dallas.

marchetta

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1936390 said:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

1st Aqib Talib
1st Felix Jones
2nd Andre Caldwell

If Cason falls that far I hope we take him in the 2nd rd. Along with Talib we would have one of the best young defensive backfields in the game.

I like your picks, except Talib projects more as a safety. He may lack true CB quickness and speed. He may run in the ~4.55 area. He is a playmaker as long as the play is in front of him, and he likes to gamble and rely on his instincts, but he lacks the speed to makeup for any mistakes he makes. Felix, and Chris Johnson, would be perfect complements to MB3. I like Felix better, because of he has more mature RB skills. But CJ is a better threat, and can cause nightmares when catching out of the backfield or moving into the slot. I'd take either one, but Felix would be my 1st choice. Caldwell was projected as a high #1 coming into the season, but he didn't have a great year because he was matched up with a running qb. He's not a workout wonder, or seniorbowl wonder, that can't do it during the game but works out great. This kid has the ability of a 1st rd pick, so getting him in the 2nd rd would be great.

theogt;1936477 said:
LOL @ the idea that Cason will go late 2nd.

I like Cason alot, but he lacks CB speed. If he runs in the 4.55 area, then he'll slip down into the middle-latter portion of rd 2. You don't see many NFL CBs that run in the 4.55 area starting in the league. The only way he goes higher, is if a team that primarily plays zone chooses him, since he's the best zone CB to come into the league in years. However, most teams don't pick zone CBs high in the draft, so he could very well drop to the bottom of rd 2.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
marchetta;1937552 said:
I like Cason alot, but he lacks CB speed. If he runs in the 4.55 area, then he'll slip down into the middle-latter portion of rd 2. You don't see many NFL CBs that run in the 4.55 area starting in the league. The only way he goes higher, is if a team that primarily plays zone chooses him, since he's the best zone CB to come into the league in years. However, most teams don't pick zone CBs high in the draft, so he could very well drop to the bottom of rd 2.
I don't think he lacks speed at all. I think he's been labeled as the guy that lacks speed and the idea has just snow-balled. He should run a 4.4 and everyone will forget this pre-draft meme. Now, he's not a 4.3 guy, but he's not a Daymeion Hughes type either.

Check out these stats -- in 2007 he was targeted 73 times and gave up only 23 passes for 258 yards, 2 TDs, and had 5 INTs. That's a whopping 3.53 YPA and a QB rating of 23.6. He also had 14 passes defended. For crying out loud, the guy almost had as many PDs as he did completions against him. If he falls to 22, we better be all over his ***.

marchetta

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1937440 said:
I agree. Talib is the best playmaker in the entire group of corners. Other than Cason he is the most Nfl ready of all he others. I look for him to run a 4.4 to 4.5. Trust me fellas if we take this guy he will have a great career in Dallas.

Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com):
Aqib Talib - "I think has to play safety. He needs the play in front of him. I don't think he has the quickness to be a CB and he takes too many chances. As a Safety he would be (an) Ed Reed style of player."

marchetta

Reaction score
theogt;1937553 said:
I don't think he lacks speed at all. I think he's been labeled as the guy that lacks speed and the idea has just snow-balled. He should run a 4.4 and everyone will forget this pre-draft meme. Now, he's not a 4.3 guy, but he's not a Daymeion Hughes type either.

Check out these stats -- in 2007 he was targeted 73 times and gave up only 23 passes for 258 yards, 2 TDs, and had 5 INTs. That's a whopping 3.53 YPA and a QB rating of 23.6. If this guy falls to 22, we better be all over his ***.

Yeah, I've read reports that question his speed, and other that say his speed is adequate enough to play the position. So, I'm sitting on the fence until after the combine. I hope he show sub 4.5 speed, then he'll go in the 1st for sure, because he has everything else a NFL CB needs to be great (instincts, hands, intelligence).

marchetta

Reaction score
FWIW, here's Drew's blog on DRC:

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
- This kid is a top 15 pick in this draft and has enormous potential to impact at the next level. He is like the Randy Moss of the CB’s. I have moved him right up there with Mike Jenkins CB South Florida. It would not surprise me at all if some team in the top ten of this draft selected Dom. This kid could be one of the best and yes he could go that early.