nfl equivalents of american idol stars

PAISAN247

Reaction score
American Idol hits the gridiron

Peter Schrager / FOXSports.com
Posted: 18 hours ago // Last Friday night, my friends and I decided to venture up to the 50's and hit up Local, a pretty casual Manhattan eastside bar.

A 20-something scene, we did the usual — split a few rounds, watch the Yankees on mute, hum along to Bon Jovi, and hit on every female with a pulse. Though the pickup lines were working about as well as the triangle offense under Tim Floyd, the evening was going well. We were singing, dancing, and discussing the inner workings of the Anna Benson-Kris Benson love affair over a phenomenal rendition of The Outfield's Your Love.
Then, without a warning, royalty walked right on by us.
A guy with a shaved head, tight shirt, and wild array of crazily-patterned facial hair breezed right past our table. He looked familiar. Bouncing to some Nickelback/Creed-ish song like it was 50 Cent's In Da Club, I was sure I knew the guy from SOMEWHERE. Was he that kid from college who showed up to the fraternity rush event already four beers deep? Was he the guy from the Port Authority subway station who plays Blues Traveler's Hook on the harmonica every morning? Was it the dude who sits behind my buddies and me at the Giants games just shouting "De-Fense" over and over again, even when the G-Men have possession of the ball? Why'd I recognize the guy? Who was he?
"I think Chris Daughtry just walked by us."
The comment came from my buddy Ditro's older brother, Matt. A wise-cracking New Yorker in his late 20's, we grew up listening to Matt recite Godfather lines, refer to Steve Balboni and Giovanni Carmazzi as first ballot Hall of Famers, and cite statistics from the early 90's Knicks teams such as "Amount of times Scottie Pippen woke up in the middle of the night because he wet the bed from nightmares featuring Xavier McDaniel's elbows."
The fact that Matt had just mentioned Chris Daughtry's name blew me away.
For the unenlightened, Daughtry's one of the contestants on this season's American Idol. The token "rocker" guy, he screams, howls, and serves as the harder side to the otherwise light program. If Anna Nicole Smith and Kevin Federline are C-list celebrities, Daughtry's roaming the list of R's and Q's. For Matt, of all people, to know Chris Daughtry's full name — well, it was pretty amazing.
It shows just how far American Idol has come. A little over a year ago, I wrote a column for this site comparing the final eight American Idol contestants to NFL quarterbacks. At the time, I figured it would be a fun, little quirky piece that was appreciated by a handful of readers, some soccer moms surfing the Internet, and 15-year-old girls who dream about Chad Michael Murray and Jesse McCartney.
I was wrong. 90 percent of the feedback I received from that article came from guys. They all started off the same way, too, "Though I'd never admit I watch the show to my friends ..." Like Murphy Brown re-runs or enjoying that James Blunt guy's music, American Idol has become one of the great guilty pleasures in American society today. Of course, it makes total sense why this country loves it. Essentially, it's good looking people singing music we love, a miserable old Englishman being mean, and the public picking the winner. What a formula!
It turns out that the guy who walked by wasn't Chris Daughtry. We asked. He told us he gets it "three times a night." No surprise. The same probably goes for any unfortunate Clay Aiken or Scott Savol look-alike as well.
American Idol is down to the final eight again. Along the way, we've seen some amazing highlights this season thus far. Among them was the Kenny Rogers imposter last week. If you didn't see him, it was some guy with a choker necklace, wearing a purple shirt, claiming to be Kenny Rogers. The "Gambler" I know wears boots and carries a gun in his holster. This guy was NOT the dude who sang Lucille. There's also been those insane Brittenum twins, that little Chicken Little kid, and a few fights amongst the judges.
If you're not on the bandwagon yet, don't worry — it's not too late. Swallow your pride, get on board this week, and start pulling for your favorite contestant from this point on. In case you're looking for a crash course on who's who, here it is — the second annual "American Idol meets the gridiron" breakdown.
For each contestant remaining, we've found the NFL quarterback most similar to them. Pick the quarterback of your choice, and ride the wave of this incredible show. Jump in head first and become the king or queen of the watercooler.
5492786_36_1.jpg
Bucky Covington: Southern gentleman
Makes up for lack of natural skills with heart and charisma
Difficult to understand a word he's saying. NFL equivalent: Jake Delhomme, Carolina Panthers

5492802_36_1.jpg
Kellie Pickler: Inspiring rags-to-riches life story
16 year-old boys across the world would die to meet
Not the sharpest crayon in the box NFL equivalent: Vince Young, University of Texas

5491324_36_1.jpg
Paris Bennett: Child prodigy
Favorite of fans and critics alike
Has not performed well down the stretch. NFL equivalent: Ryan Fitzpatrick, St. Louis Rams

5491990_36_1.jpg
Katharine McPhee: Tons of spunk
Wild long hair
Never backs down from negative criticism; Picked it up a lot down the stretch NFL equivalent: Jake Plummer, Denver Broncos

5491370_36_1.jpg
Elliott Yamin: Continuously doubted
Always on verge of being kicked out
Under-appreciated
Looks like the kid who wore sneakers and jeans on the Little League team NFL equivalent: Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

5491374_36_1.jpg
Taylor Hicks: Looks much older than the competition
Unorthodox style
Sports the "very premature grey hair" look NFL equivalent: Trent Green, Kansas City Chiefs

5491998_36_1.jpg
Ace Young: Constant dopey glares to the camera
Knock is that he's "all flash, no substance"
Has what seems to be an incredibly fake name NFL equivalent: J.P. Losman, Buffalo Bills

5492812_36_1.jpg
Chris Daughtry: Known as "the rocker"
Hard exterior/soft interior
Stays alive week after week
Facial hair situation NFL equivalent: Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

And the show's other personalities?
5492006_36_1.jpg
Simon Cowell: Fan favorite
Clashes with his bosses and colleagues
Outspoken
Won't ever leave NFL equivalent: Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers

5492008_36_1.jpg
Randy Jackson: Been in the game forever
Physical skills may be on the decline
Has absolutely no mobility whatsoever NFL equivalent: Drew Bledsoe, Dallas Cowboys

5492816_36_1.jpg
Paula Abdul: Was once a rising star in the industry
Very emotional
Controversy over private life/social relations NFL equivalent: Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons

5492022_36_1.jpg
Ryan Seacrest: Southern California celebrity
Savvy fashion sense
Been linked with everyone and anyone in the tabloids
Hangs with Nick Lachey NFL equivalent: Matt Leinart, USC

Some folks we recently said goodbye to:
5492024_36_1.jpg
Mandisa: Loveable personality
Incredibly talented
Notoriously "big boned" NFL equivalent: Byron Leftwich, Jacksonville Jaguars

5491394_36_1.jpg
Kevin Corvais: Student of the game
Not exactly the most charismatic guy
Frail
Looks like the kid who plays "Magic: the Gathering" at the high school lunch table NFL equivalent: Chad Pennington, New York Jets

5492034_36_1.jpg
Brittenum twins: Had the talent
Media loved them
Just couldn't get out of the opening rounds of the postseason NFL equivalent: The Manning brothers

Being a sports fan and watching American Idol really isn't all that different. Did you like rooting for George Mason this March? If so, get behind Bucky Covington, the upset pick. Dig what child phenoms like Michelle Wie and Shaun White are doing? Vote for the kid, Paris Bennett. There are multiple sports parallels for each of the remaining contestants. Pick one, buckle up, and go with it. Just don't get too upset when Simon absolutely tears your favorite crooner apart.
:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2: :laugh1: :bow: