NFL Expansion. Austin?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'd say there is a 0% chance

I knew you threw it out there, but I'm still going to say that I don't see the NFL adding a 33rd and/or 34th team

If they did, I doubt they add another in Texas as opposed to several other markets that don't have teams but have shown in the past they can support a team

If anything, I think the Spurs are just trying to increase their market size given how close Dallas is and how much better they are at this time

csirl

Reaction score
I think that any US city looking for a team is more likely to get one via a franchise relocation rather than expansion.

The elephant in the room is where will the Chargers end up? Their stay in Hollywood is likely only medium term - at some stage before the end of this decade they'll move on. Someone told me that they are hoping one of the counties between SD and LA will offer to build a stadium - this area is rapidly growing in population etc. and its convenient for SD fans as well as LA fans.

Is there any other potential landing place for the Chargers? Any other teams open to relocation?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin is a college town. Can’t see a NFL team ever wanting to come there. Would be like a NFL team wanting to go to Tuscaloosa, Happy Valley or Ann Arbor. And I’ve never heard Austin officials speaking about it.

The Dallas mayor though recently was promoting Dallas and North Texas for another NFL team since that area is about to become the third largest metro area in country , only behind NY and LA which both have 2 NFL teams .

I’d add that expansion is unlikely . But we could see a current team look for greener pastures like most recent moves in NFL.

Yeah, I don't see an expansion team in Texas. San Antonio is Cowboy country and Austin , like you said, is all about UT and any team there is going to be second fiddle and struggle competing for sports dollars........ the Falcons have that issue and struggle filling the stadium. There are 10x more UGA fans in Atlanta than Falcon fans. In fact, if they ever did a football team popularity ranking in Atlanta area, it would look like

1. UGA
2. Auburn
3. Alabama
4. Clemson
5. Falcons

Truck

Reaction score
since Columbus Ohio has the Blue Jackets (barely a pro team) it makes Austin the biggest city in the US with no sports teams at all.

What does barely a pro team mean?

And Austin has a sports team, a pro team in fact. Austin FC, and they’re doing pretty good

RonWashington

Reaction score
San Antonio population 1.5 million . Austin around a million . San Antonio would make an ideal NFC city and possibly Toronto .

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
With the Cowboys in Dallas and the Texans in Houston I don’t think another Texas NFL team would do well. A San Antonio franchise would have a better chance than one in Austin but San Antonio is all about the Spurs.

I'm (obviously) a huge Cowboys fan, but also a Spurs fan.

A city doesn't have to be about one of the other....

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'd say there is a 0% chance

I knew you threw it out there, but I'm still going to say that I don't see the NFL adding a 33rd and/or 34th team

If they did, I doubt they add another in Texas as opposed to several other markets that don't have teams but have shown in the past they can support a team

If anything, I think the Spurs are just trying to increase their market size given how close Dallas is and how much better they are at this time

I don't see the NFL adding any more teams. There right in the sweet spot with 32.