NFL: February 14, 2006

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The anticipated staredown between the Jets and Chad Pennington is on. Faced with the task of slashing about $26 million from the salary cap over the next two weeks, the Jets have reportedly approached Pennington about taking a significant pay cut. Pennington is due to make $9 million in salary and bonuses for 2006, and the Jets want to slash that to a $1 million base salary, according to the person. He would be able to recoup the difference by achieving various incentives.
-- New York Daily News

The Cardinals and Panthers already are rumored to be interested in Shaun Alexander. Neither team can officially express that, or they face tampering sanctions from the NFL.
-- Seattle Times

The agent for former Texas quarterback Vince Young, who stated last month that Young would throw for teams at the NFL combine beginning next week, now says Young may not throw and instead may only interview with teams. When asked why it might not be a good thing for Young to throw at the combine, agent Major Adams replied, "Unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar receivers."
-- Dallas Morning News

The University of Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney remains the projected pick for the Vikings on most mock drafts. If the Vikings don't select Maroney, they could choose UCLA's Maurice Drew in the second or third round. Don't be surprised if the Vikings take Iowa linebacker Chad Greenway if he's available at No. 17.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

If the Chiefs want to sign Terrell Owens or another high-priced free agent when the signing period begins next month, they will have to clear some space under the NFL's salary cap. Documents show the Chiefs would save about $4 million in cap space by releasing linebacker Kendrell Bell. Others who could be in danger include cornerbacks Eric Warfield (savings of about $2.7 million) and Dexter McCleon (about $1.2 million).
-- Kansas City Star

The Chiefs will approach several players about restructuring their contracts to create cap space. Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez is likely atop the list. He not only has one of the highest cap numbers on the team (about $6.5 million) but also is heading into the final year of his contract.
-- Kansas City Star

Marv Levy said Monday that the Buffalo Bills would like to retain free agent cornerback Nate Clements and that placing the franchise tag on the 2005 Pro Bowler would be a consideration.
-- buffalobills.com

The Giants are trying to re-sign defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy before he becomes an unrestricted free agent, but with 2-1/2 weeks left before the market opens, a deal still appears to be far off.
-- New York Daily News

Defensive end Greg Ellis' tenure with the Cowboys might not be done yet. Ellis' agent said he has spoken with Cowboys coach Bill Parcells with news that would be pleasing to his client. "He said he intends to play him more," said agent James Williams.
-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Completely lost in the kicking fiasco for the Cowboys last season is that they actually have a kicker under contract for 2006: Brett Visintainer. Visintainer, who did not play in 2005 because of a back injury, could be cleared by doctors this week to return to workouts. If healthy, he is expected to compete for what will likely be a wide-open kicking spot for the Cowboys in the fall.
-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Look for Chris Weinke, an unrestricted free-agent backup quarterback for Carolina, to seek a team that will give him a chance to start before re-signing with the Panthers.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

The executive football position for the 49ers won't be filled by Mike Reinfeldt, the Seahawks' vice president of football administration. A spokesman for the Seahawks said Reinfeldt has pulled himself out of the running. The 49ers' only other formal interview was with Falcons executive vice president and chief administrative officer Ray Anderson.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

The Texans welcomed former Packers head coach Mike Sherman into their offices on Monday. They plan to welcome him officially onto the staff as soon as today. Much of the night was spent negotiating a deal with Sherman. As soon as a contract is done, Sherman will be named the Texans' assistant head coach/offense.
-- Houston Chronicle

The NFL will open the 2006 season with a nationally televised night game Sept. 7 in Pittsburgh. Among the possible opponents are Cincinnati and Denver. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL also may schedule a Monday night doubleheader to close out kickoff weekend.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The NFL is considering playing a regular season game in London next season. A league spokesman said yesterday that a game in London is being considered but no decisions have been made. The game likely would be played at Wembley Stadium.
-- Washington Post

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Saints owner Tom Benson and team executives will update fans, media and local business leaders today during a noon luncheon at the team's practice facility that is intended to "outline specific initiatives for the 2006 season," according to a Saints press release. Tagliabue, Benson and Saints marketing executives will also have a breakfast meeting with a group of local business leaders.
-- New Orleans Times-Picayune

New Rams coach Scott Linehan has added four assistants to his staff, including Missouri native and Purdue offensive coordinator Jim Chaney as an assistant to offensive line coach Paul Boudreau.
-- St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Any punishment the NFL might hand down to Tank Johnson for his latest legal entanglement could pale in comparison to how the law handles him. The Bears defensive tackle could be found in violation of his parole from a previous gun offense after being charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest after an incident in which police officers said they required Mace to subdue him..
-- Chicago Sun-Times

The Falcons hired Joe Lombardi -- grandson of NFL coaching legend Vince Lombardi -- as an assistant defensive coach, the team announced Monday. Lombardi is expected to assist defensive coordinator Ed Donatell and also could help defensive line coach Bill Johnson.
-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Dr. James Shortt has reached a plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Columbia in the federal steroids case involving current and former Carolina Panthers' players. In papers signed Friday and filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Columbia, Shortt agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids and human growth hormone. It was the first and primary count in the grand jury's case against the former West Columbia physician.
-- Charlotte Observer

During a county hearing scheduled for Thursday, the Vikings are expected to release details of owner Zygi Wilf's $1 billion plan to develop land around his proposed stadium in Anoka County.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
I really hope we get a top notch kicker, not a guy who has not kicked in the NFL yet. Seriously they need to quit the cheap s*** when it comes to kickers, and spend some money on a proven NFL kicker

Doomsday101

Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
I really hope we get a top notch kicker, not a guy who has not kicked in the NFL yet. Seriously they need to quit the cheap s*** when it comes to kickers, and spend some money on a proven NFL kicker

it just said he will compete, it did not say the job was his.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
It still said he was under contract. I mean come on, if we go out and get a product kicker, such as Longwell or Nedney, or Vanderjagt, how is he going to compete with them? I am just worried that we will go cheap again and keep this guy, and end up in the same situation as last year........kickerless.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fresno State: Emerged as one of the top kickers in the WAC ... handled all kickoff duties his freshman and sophomore campaigns ... kicked the majority of the 2003 season with a ankle injury that shortened his delivery but may have increased his accuracy. (2003) Second-team All-WAC honoree ... made 35-of-35 extra point attempts ... converted on 21-of-28 field goals on the year, including two game-winners, one of which was Oct. 28 against Rice ... made 14 of his last 17 field goal attempts ... his only misses in his last 12 field goal attempts were once from 47 yards and another on a slippery, muddy field at the Silicon Valley Football Classic ... tallied three field goals in a game against three different opponents: Oregon State, Louisiana Tech and UTEP ... longest field goal of the year came from 47 yards out ... was named WAC Special Teams Player of the Week twice. (2002) Redshirted ... honored at the Kiwanis Torch of Excellence dinner. (2001) Handled every kickoff the entire year ... had 14 touchbacks ... has the ability to place his kickoff wherever the kickoff play dictates ... kicked two extra points, both against Nevada. (2000) Handled the kickoff chores the entire season.

If Dallas brings in another kicker and he is all that then he should have no problem winning the job. This kicker is under contract but there are many players who are under contract who may not have a job in Dallas when all is said and done.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The agent for former Texas quarterback Vince Young, who stated last month that Young would throw for teams at the NFL combine beginning next week, now says Young may not throw and instead may only interview with teams. When asked why it might not be a good thing for Young to throw at the combine, agent Major Adams replied, "Unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar receivers."
-- Dallas Morning News

I don't quite understand this he lets Young show up at a passing competition a week or so ago and now he does not want Young to run or throw at the combines? Hate to say it but I think Young is getting some bad advice. I know it was reported that his agent Major Adams was a friend of the family but not sure this is the best thing for Young when part of the objective is to put to rest doubts that some have about his passing skills.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Intresting comments on Chad Pennington. I don't think he should restrucuture his contract. He risked his career playing with a torn rotator cuff and that was probably responsible for the tear this year. New York mismanaged that player and he owes them nothing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Intresting comments on Chad Pennington. I don't think he should restrucuture his contract. He risked his career playing with a torn rotator cuff and that was probably responsible for the tear this year. New York mismanaged that player and he owes them nothing.

I don't think the Jets have much of a choice when they are trying to get their cap back in order. As for Pennington not owing them anything well I guess the Jets don't have to pay that 9 mill dollar bonus. Pennington does have 1 major problem and that is his arm strength was never though of as great and now coming off surgery on his passing shoulders I think many teams may be a bit leery of offering big money to him should the Jets and him part ways.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't think the Jets have much of a choice when they are trying to get their cap back in order. As for Pennington not owing them anything well I guess the Jets don't have to pay that 9 mill dollar bonus. Pennington does have 1 major problem and that is his arm strength was never though of as great and now coming off surgery on his passing shoulders I think many teams may be a bit leery of offering big money to him should the Jets and him part ways.

Is it a signing bonus that is due or a roster bonus? If its a roster bonus than a restructure should be reached. If it's a signing bonus, Pennington should take his money. He does not know if he will ever be able to play as effectively as before. I still think Edwards mishandled him by playing him with rotator cuff tear.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Is it a signing bonus that is due or a roster bonus? If its a roster bonus than a restructure should be reached. If it's a signing bonus, Pennington should take his money. He does not know if he will ever be able to play as effectively as before. I still think Edwards mishandled him by playing him with rotator cuff tear.

I'm not saying that Edwards did not make a mistake playing him but Jets are going to do what is in the overall best interest and they are looking to cut 26 mill off their cap and are now faced with the prospect of a high priced QB who may not be able to do the job effectively any longer and Pennington also has to face the fact that other teams may not be willing to payout big dollars for a guy who has a big medical question mark on him. I think if he can restructure as the Jets want with some added incentives should he return to form may be better for all parties involved.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm not saying that Edwards did not make a mistake playing him but Jets are going to do what is in the overall best interest and they are looking to cut 26 mill off their cap and are now faced with the prospect of a high priced QB who may not be able to do the job effectively any longer and Pennington also has to face the fact that other teams may not be willing to payout big dollars for a guy who has a big medical question mark on him. I think if he can restructure as the Jets want with some added incentives should he return to form may be better for all parties involved.

I agree with everything you just said. I was just saying that Pennington needs to do what is in his best intrests. If the money the Jets owe him is a guaranteed signing bonus he should take his money and test the FA market.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I agree with everything you just said. I was just saying that Pennington needs to do what is in his best intrests. If the money the Jets owe him is a guaranteed signing bonus he should take his money and test the FA market.

Can't say for sure but I don't think the money is guaranteed, if I find out anymore I'll pass it along.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pennington signed a $64 million, seven-year deal two years ago. He is expected to have a salary cap number close to $12 million this season, including a $3 million roster bonus due in March. Even if the Jets cut him, they would take a salary hit of about $10 million because of the prorated salary cap.