NFL free agency winners, losers: Cowboys wisely opt not to overspend on Day 1

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are winning FA so far!!!!!!!!!! Here is a list of the winners in FA so far. YES your Dallas Cowboys are on it!!! Follow the link to see the losers (which includes the Commanders and the Giants!) down below.

Nate Davis, USA TODAY
Tue, Mar 12, 2024

WINNERS
Kirk Cousins
Defensive tackles

Dallas Cowboys

Say what? Yes, they’ve essentially sat on the FA sideline while RB Tony Pollard, C Tyler Biadasz and DE Dorance Armstrong are moving on with Smith, the longtime stalwart on the blind side, apparently set to follow. But is that worse than overspending for aging or largely interchangeable pieces? Let’s allow "America’s Team" to get MVP runner-up Dak Prescott’s contract in order – it's set to expire next year with a provision preventing the quarterback from being tagged – and see what happens afterward.

Philadelphia Eagles
Guards
Russell Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jordan Love
Maxx Crosby
‘March Madness

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-free-agency-winners-losers-014240218.html

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I am a lot less despondent than many people in here about the Cowboys inactivity in FA. A good portion of these big contract FA signings are going to turn out badly for these teams.

There are still plenty of FA's out there that can help this team. The question is, will the Cowboys be active on the tier 2 FAs or not?

Sydla

Reaction score
I am a lot less despondent than many people in here about the Cowboys inactivity in FA. A good portion of these big contract FA signings are going to turn out badly for these teams.

There are still plenty of FA's out there that can help this team. The question is, will the Cowboys be active on the tier 2 FAs or not?
Uh the second tier has already started its run. We sit on our hands.

starfan1

Reaction score
LOL. And then they praise Philly for spending a ton and filling holes.

This is a joke analysis. With each passing hour the Cowboys slide further and further into loser status.
This team as it currently constructed right now without a single addition wins 10 games. And that’s after three straight 12 win seasons so loser status is wrong

I must admit I found myself hoping they were more aggressive this year but I’m not shocked they weren’t

The cowboys are allergic to championship status that much appears true but loser status is more an overreaction from disgruntled fans

They are the #1 sports franchise in the world even with the lack of success in the past 3 decades

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I saw this on day one before bed and just kept it moving. Was not in the mood, when rest of division and Niners were snapping up players like kids getting candy during Halloween and we were like the grouchy family with the lights off not participating.

wecasa

Reaction score
I see usa today is on the Jones payroll now. Jones must have sent a few hunskies and a note saying thanks for your continued support...

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
The biggest loser is Prescott as he's about to get exposed and eat turf all season. You want to get paid then figure it out buddy, find a way to win with less talent like real franchise QBs do. Jerry's message is clear, you don't get the job done you're gone at the end of the year. See ya fraud.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm glad that now hot dogs can be afforded for training camp.

CWR

Reaction score
The Cowboys are winning FA so far!!!!!!!!!! Here is a list of the winners in FA so far. YES your Dallas Cowboys are on it!!! Follow the link to see the losers (which includes the Commanders and the Giants!) down below.

Nate Davis, USA TODAY
Tue, Mar 12, 2024

WINNERS
Kirk Cousins
Defensive tackles

Dallas Cowboys

Say what? Yes, they’ve essentially sat on the FA sideline while RB Tony Pollard, C Tyler Biadasz and DE Dorance Armstrong are moving on with Smith, the longtime stalwart on the blind side, apparently set to follow. But is that worse than overspending for aging or largely interchangeable pieces? Let’s allow "America’s Team" to get MVP runner-up Dak Prescott’s contract in order – it's set to expire next year with a provision preventing the quarterback from being tagged – and see what happens afterward.

Philadelphia Eagles
Guards
Russell Wilson
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jordan Love
Maxx Crosby
‘March Madness

We're not losers for who we lost.

We are losers because we don't value signing a guy like Jewel or Queen for a reasonable deal. Obviously glaring needs could've been filled with really strong upgrades and not broke the bank.

CCBoy

Reaction score

‘Washington Cowboys’​

They spent on Armstrong and Biadasz, who follow new HC Dan Quinn from Dallas to the Commanders and weaken a division rival, while also adding RB Austin Ekeler and LB Frankie Luvu. But the NFL mandates a spending floor to the salary cap … yet it doesn’t feel like they’re notably better despite having more spending power than any other team entering free agency. (Though, heck, maybe Quinn, GM Adam Peters and the rest of a new regime should be credited for some level of prudence that’s generally been foreign in these parts for the past quarter-century.)

Sydla

Reaction score
This team as it currently constructed right now without a single addition wins 10 games. And that’s after three straight 12 win seasons so loser status is wrong

I must admit I found myself hoping they were more aggressive this year but I’m not shocked they weren’t

The cowboys are allergic to championship status that much appears true but loser status is more an overreaction from disgruntled fans

They are the #1 sports franchise in the world even with the lack of success in the past 3 decades

Loser status in free agency. They've done zero to get better. They've actually lost players. They have no C. They don't have a LT (or a LG). Their LBs are very weak. Their TBs are weak. They have little at DT currently.

And frankly, I couldn't care less about their status or ranking amongst other sports franchises. That benefits no one but the Jones'. That's it. I'd rather they be the 20th ranked sports franchise and actually win something.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
its because of crap like this you simply can't trust the media.

i agree its foolish to spend for the sake of bringing in a name, but if we need talent, it is going to cost us to get it. we have a glaring hole at RB now and nothing there to show for it. i have less than zero interest in bringing zeke back. he's done. let it go.

i had minimal interest in henry. he'd be a 1 or 2 year option and is now in his declining years. i don't think its smart to "rent" a player for a year unless you're talking charles haley type "perfect fit".

henry would be a comfortable name but production i just can't see being the difference maker. but he would have at least held ground.

all that is left now isn't much better than what we have. now if we're truly interested in a RB coming off a major injury, what the holy hell got into the jones gummies? no name RB's and now one coming off a major injury. all these are "take a chance" type players you have 3rd string or practice squad til you have some trust in them.

we're looking to lock up dak and lamb to hellacious contracts so maybe that's where all the money will go. but i don't think that has ever worked in the nfl. balance has.

and we're about to be so salary lopsided for a qb we can't trust. at least lamb is proven but you still have to question value for production.

you always should.

so day 1 goes by and "all in" is another soundbyte from jones that about as meangful as our trophy case since 2000.

Sydla

Reaction score
its because of crap like this you simply can't trust the media.

i agree its foolish to spend for the sake of bringing in a name, but if we need talent, it is going to cost us to get it. we have a glaring hole at RB now and nothing there to show for it. i have less than zero interest in bringing zeke back. he's done. let it go.

i had minimal interest in henry. he'd be a 1 or 2 year option and is now in his declining years. i don't think its smart to "rent" a player for a year unless you're talking charles haley type "perfect fit".

henry would be a comfortable name but production i just can't see being the difference maker. but he would have at least held ground.

all that is left now isn't much better than what we have. now if we're truly interested in a RB coming off a major injury, what the holy hell got into the jones gummies? no name RB's and now one coming off a major injury. all these are "take a chance" type players you have 3rd string or practice squad til you have some trust in them.

we're looking to lock up dak and lamb to hellacious contracts so maybe that's where all the money will go. but i don't think that has ever worked in the nfl. balance has.

and we're about to be so salary lopsided for a qb we can't trust. at least lamb is proven but you still have to question value for production.

you always should.

so day 1 goes by and "all in" is another soundbyte from jones that about as meangful as our trophy case since 2000.
At the end of the day, "all in" to Jerry was likely commentary that everyone else has to be all in. That they are playing for the jobs in 2024. Dak has to perform. McCarthy has to perform. Yet Jerry is basically undermining the team and chances for high level success because he refuses to address clear needs without hitting the bargain bin of FA.

This is a dysfunctional franchise and it has never been more clear that Jerry and his son have no concept of how to build a team, make a run at a SB, etc.

Big_D

Reaction score
Truly a very wise front office! They have the rest of the league right where they want them!

starfan1

Reaction score
Loser status in free agency. They've done zero to get better. They've actually lost players. They have no C. They don't have a LT (or a LG). Their LBs are very weak. Their TBs are weak. They have little at DT currently.

And frankly, I couldn't care less about their status or ranking amongst other sports franchises. That benefits no one but the Jones'. That's it. I'd rather they be the 20th ranked sports franchise and actually win something.
they did the same thing last year (minus the cooks and gilmore trade) the same principle the year the before and I agree with you Loser status in FA they are. They do however last year aside draft well enough to make up for it. I agree with all the points you have made but again we are just a couple of days into it.

Just because they didnt go out and overspend does not mean it wont get addressed it just dont addressed how you want it to. I believe its a flawed techniqye but it hasnt kept them from being a winning organization. Its kept them from a championship.

Jerry dont give 2 shats about you or my thoughts which is in part why I blame him as being the single biggest deterrent to a championship on the cowboys. My guessis they believe hoffman is the next center and theyll get depth. I think they believe Bass is starting guard material and they will get depth. Pick one is going to be on the line , Puck 2 will be at DT or RB. well win 10 or 11 and be a first or second round exit. They will pack the stadium again and be the game of the week. What you or fell makes little difference.

Sydla

Reaction score
they did the same thing last year (minus the cooks and gilmore trade) the same principle the year the before and I agree with you Loser status in FA they are. They do however last year aside draft well enough to make up for it. I agree with all the points you have made but again we are just a couple of days into it.

Just because they didnt go out and overspend does not mean it wont get addressed it just dont addressed how you want it to. I believe its a flawed techniqye but it hasnt kept them from being a winning organization. Its kept them from a championship.

Jerry dont give 2 shats about you or my thoughts which is in part why I blame him as being the single biggest deterrent to a championship on the cowboys. My guessis they believe hoffman is the next center and theyll get depth. I think they believe Bass is starting guard material and they will get depth. Pick one is going to be on the line , Puck 2 will be at DT or RB. well win 10 or 11 and be a first or second round exit. They will pack the stadium again and be the game of the week. What you or fell makes little difference.
LOL.

So next year we will be in the market for a new OG and C?

This is all so predictable from the Jones.

And it's not about going out an overspending. They don't even spend at market rates. Josie Jewell signed a very reasonable contract at LB with the Panthers. They did not overspend. Zach Moss would have helped at RB, he signed a very respectable 2 year, $8MM deal. Fans who struggle to admit the failures of this franchise and the Jones trick themselves into believing that all these FAs that have signed have been overpaid and will cause cap problems but reality is there are guys signing very reasonable contracts that we are too cheap to get involved with.

And the best part? This idea that these early overpaid players will cause problems down the road as we sit here, never signing any high priced guys and yet still have cap constraints. This franchise doesn't have a clue what they are doing.