NFL has to do something about this

SibannacRex

Reaction score
If Dallas, TB, Washington, NO and Chicago win and the Cardinals lose, two 10-6 teams and two 9-7 teams will miss the playoffs while an 8-8 team gets in. How does this happen, especially considering how difficult it is to have a winning record in the league?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't think it's that big of a problem. I like division rivalries.

alancdc

Reaction score
theogt;2525974 said:
I don't think it's that big of a problem. I like division rivalries.

Totally agree. Have to have division winners make the playoffs.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's always been this way. Why are people just now noticing it? Because the Pats might get the short end this year?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
alancdc;2525993 said:
Totally agree. Have to have division winners make the playoffs.

I agree. It makes winning your division that much more important.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2525996 said:
I agree. It makes winning your division that much more important.

Well, your opinion would change if it were the Cowboys who were left at home despite a weaker team going.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2525995 said:
It's always been this way. Why are people just now noticing it? Because the Pats might get the short end this year?
I wonder how the Commissioner's Maalox and finger nail diet is going?

VACowboy

Reaction score
We lost to St. Louis. We lost to the Skins, at home. We lost leads to Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the fourth quarter with a playoff berth on the line. And we lost to ARIZONA. We have had a plethora of chances. We haven't taken advantage, but still, for the third week in a row, all we have to do is win.

Sometimes teams with lesser records make the tournament. Sometimes that's because they're lesser teams and sometimes it's because they play in tough divisions and/or have tough schedules. NE beat up on the NFC/AFC West and still didn't make it. They got no beef, in my book.

Sometimes the NFL playoff structure is "fair," sometimes it's "not." But in pro sports, the way the NFL does things is the best there is--at least IMHO.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
SibannacRex;2526000 said:
Well, your opinion would change if it were the Cowboys who were left at home despite a weaker team going.

No because it would mean we didn't deserve to go to the playoffs.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
VACowboy;2526004 said:
We lost to St. Louis. We lost to the Skins, at home. We lost leads to Pittsburgh and Baltimore in the fourth quarter with a playoff berth on the line. And we lost to ARIZONA. We have had a plethora of chances. We haven't taken advantage, but still, for the third week in a row, all we have to do is win.

Sometimes teams with lesser records make the tournament. Sometimes that's because they're lesser teams and sometimes it's because they play in tough divisions and/or have tough schedules. NE beat up on the NFC/AFC West and still didn't make it. They got no beef, in my book.

Sometimes the NFL playoff structure is "fair," sometimes it's "not." But in pro sports, the way the NFL does things is the best there is--at least IMHO.

:hammer:

Ren

Reaction score
I bet no one complained when we made it to the playoffs in 99 IIRC with a 8-8 record

arglebargle

Reaction score
The teams in the divisions are not static either: Some of the teams may get better, and their divisions rise, while others may falter. It's the nature of things.

The real telling thing is probably the owners. Poor owners will end up with bottem feeding teams. But even Uncle Al and Bidwell have gotten winners on occaision.

Anyway, if we add more Wildcard teams, you are inviting the possibility of a losing team going to the playoffs. And a very watered down season. As it is 6 of 16 teams in each conference go to the playoffs.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Every year at this time we see several threads of this nature and i'd venture to guess there are hundreds all over the net. What people fail to mention or realize is there is very little if any support from the owners to change the system. I've heard this question posed to Jerry on more than one occasion and he has said as much. The owners have no intention of changing the div. system.

links18

Reaction score
It was better when there were only 3 divisions and 3 Wildcard teams got in. But that had to change, because the NFL had to keep adding teams, to take advantage of markets in places like Jacksonville, Tennessee and Charlotte. But there is nothing unfair about the playoff system right now, everyone knows the rules heading in: Win your division or take your chances with the Wildcard.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ren;2526028 said:
I bet no one complained when we made it to the playoffs in 99 IIRC with a 8-8 record
That's because with only 3 Divisions per Conference it was near impossible to screw a 10 win team out of the playoffs. We made it at 8-8 only because we were the best of four 8-8 teams.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the current system is fair and works well. If you win your division you should be in the playoffs, any other format would be awful in my opinion. Regardless of what your record is if you dont win your division you have nothing to complain about.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SibannacRex;2525968 said:
If Dallas, TB, Washington, NO and Chicago win and the Cardinals lose, two 10-6 teams and two 9-7 teams will miss the playoffs while an 8-8 team gets in. How does this happen, especially considering how difficult it is to have a winning record in the league?

The NFL has the absolute best playoff scenario of ANY major college or pro sport...there is nothing wrong with it and it definitely shouldnt be changed

Every team began the season 0-0 and at that time, had equal chance to win their division.

Look over history before making comments like this, these occurrences are evry rare and in most yrs what you'd have is more 8-8 teams, and possibly even some teams with losing records getting in.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SibannacRex;2526000 said:

No, it wouldnt. I'd say they should have done more.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if we beat the Eagles and make the playoffs, but our loss to the Ravens, at home, knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs.

I would love that.:lmao: