NFL may adopt XFL kickoff rules

Chasing6

Reaction score
They don’t want the long running start down the field. It leads to more violent collisions. This is what they’ve been trying to reduce.
Well they succeeded. So what is the problem?

I would like a rule change that makes onside kicks more successful than 1%.

Has to be like the most boring play in football.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The problem was mentioned they’re not having enough returns. The goal was to slow down returns but they’ve almost eliminated them. The onside kick rule was changed because of safety concerns. They felt the running start led to more injuries. I’m sure that’s something else they’re looking into because recovering an onside kick has become next to impossible.

Big_D

Reaction score

I’m wondering. Can’t the kicker drill one of the guys up front. We only see that high bounce that never works. Kick the ball as hard as possible at one of the guys in the middle. Just once I’d like to see it. Probably work too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
8c1.jpg

1942willys

Reaction score
If they were so concerned about player safety they would not have teams play 2 games in 5 days.
dead on
if they were worried about player safety there would be no thursday night games
Their bleating about player safety is sickening when its clearly not anywhere near the truth

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
So they made a rule change for player safety. With less returns, I can only imagine that injuries went down and it worked. So what is the problem?

Are fans really missing kickoff returns? I seriously doubt it.
Just gives me more time to Pee after a score. Doesn't happen as fast as it used to.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would not mind seeing an onside kick rule change. The success rate is way to low.

Almost none existent.
Ten players on each team line up 5 yards apart for an onside kick that still has to go 10 yards. The return man can line up anywhere behind those 10 players that he wants. So it's a game of chess with the kicker for that position, while the other 10 on the receiving have to scramble back to get to the ball before the kicking team, which can't get a running start. The receiving team can touch the ball before it goes 10 yards, but like it does now, it becomes a live ball.

Lots of strategy for the kicker. Do you pooch kick it over the line and away from where you think the returner is going to be? Do you try to bounce it off a player only 5 yards away, so your team can jump on it? Plus, since you don't have to change the alignment, the onside kick could still be a surprise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ten players on each team line up 5 yards apart for an onside kick that still has to go 10 yards. The return man can line up anywhere behind those 10 players that he wants. So it's a game of chess with the kicker for that position, while the other 10 on the receiving have to scramble back to get to the ball before the kicking team, which can't get a running start. The receiving team can touch the ball before it goes 10 yards, but like it does now, it becomes a live ball.

Lots of strategy for the kicker. Do you pooch kick it over the line and away from where you think the returner is going to be? Do you try to bounce it off a player only 5 yards away, so your team can jump on it? Plus, since you don't have to change the alignment, the onside kick could still be a surprise.
5 yards off the ball, would be like dodge ball for a kicker. Could be exiting.

_sturt_

Reaction score
If we're proposing solutions (again), I want to shine a spotlight on this one...

1. Kickoff from own 35, kickoff team lines up as normal.

2. Receiving team must all be lined up somewhere between the 45s... a 10 yard range... until kickoff. All, that is, except for the return guy, who can line up anywhere considered beneficial.

This puts the receiving team in a position to have a running start to get down field to prepare to block, but much more akin to how they routinely do so for punts... which, as far as I can tell, everyone seems to consider a hunky-dorry play still.

By putting that backside boundary (the receiving team's 45), it effectively introduces a form of an onside kick or all intents and purposes, since the kicking team can squib the kick toward a perceived weakness in how the receiving team lines up... and with some speed demons plausibly they can run down to recover the oblong bouncing ball ahead of the receiving team being able to do so.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That’s not how he operates. Risen is a volume shooter kinda like Antoine Walker.

Anyway

10 players on each team to line up five yards apart on the kickoff, with only the kicker and the returner permitted to line up elsewhere. Because the players are so close together, they don't have time to get into a full sprint and there are fewer high-speed collisions than on standard kickoffs

LOL, at that first part. That was a shooting fool.

cowboyed

Reaction score
What's next special teams players have to stand in place yodeling and playing pocket billiards while the kicker or punter runs down to intercept the football returner.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
dead on
if they were worried about player safety there would be no thursday night games
Their bleating about player safety is sickening when its clearly not anywhere near the truth
And they wouldn't have added another game to the schedule. That's because it's not about player safety. It's all about money.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Love it...Brandon Aubrey had 99 touchbacks on 109 kickoffs last year. The play isn't even worth watching at this point.
Agreed it needs to be removed completely. The issue is the commercials before and after. You would need to find a new place to cram those in. I predict the number of split screen commercial breaks goes up exponentially.

Flamma

Reaction score
They don’t want the long running start down the field. It leads to more violent collisions. This is what they’ve been trying to reduce.
It seems like they want to eliminate it completely. Because they're going to all of these lengths to change the kickoff.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself how much do you want to negatively impact the game with gimmicks to reduce injuries from 1 play. Just move the ball back to the 30, about half the kickoffs will be returned. Eliminate that stupid fair catch rule too. And place the ball on the 20, not 25. If they're so concerned about injuries, add 5 players to the active roster. Problem solved.