NFL Network - Deion Sanders: Canton/Prime

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Just started right now on NFL Network. Interviews with MIrvin, Emmitt, Troy, etc. Next showing is on Tuesday.

yentl911

Reaction score
A tremendous player but I have to be honest - I never liked him or having him on the team. When Kevin Smith ruptured his Achilles our hand was forced I guess. I always thought he was more about himself than the team. Irvin was flamboyant but he was all about winning and making the people around him better. I don;t know if the same can be said for Sanders.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Sanders was the best cover guy to play the game. As for his alter ego Prime Time it was a means of self promotion but never had an issue with it because he was willing to do what was asked of him

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It is undeniable that his talent makes him HOF quality but people are free to not like the self promotion tactics that are now common place in the league. The face behind the mask is generally reserved for QBs or star RBs/Wrs...not defenders and lineman. Deion broke that mold in terms of enabling defenders and lineman access to endorsement that weren't genearlly available to them before his career. Love his ability and didn't mind his antics personally.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Keeping him away from the 49ers probably won us another SB. But he was also part of the start of the decline of the dynasty in terms of attitude and going 'hollywood", it became more about a show rather than a team....and we didnt have the leadership in the FO or coaching position to deal with that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keeping him away from the 49ers probably won us another SB. But he was also part of the start of the decline of the dynasty in terms of attitude and going 'hollywood", it became more about a show rather than a team....and we didnt have the leadership in the FO or coaching position to deal with that.

Yep. For my part, I look no further than how he got along with Troy. That tells me everything I need to know about Deion Sanders.

The stories about him interrupting defensive meetings to make a point of saying he was going to nap since he was just going to cover their best defensive weapon anyway only reinforce my opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep. For my part, I look no further than how he got along with Troy. That tells me everything I need to know about Deion Sanders.

The stories about him interrupting defensive meetings to make a point of saying he was going to nap since he was just going to cover their best defensive weapon anyway only reinforce my opinion.

Heck I wish we had guys of his caliber on this team now. Heck Irvin had his issues, Emmitt based on stories by Irvin and Troy would fall asleep in meetings but these guys knew how to play the game and yes very confident even to the point of being cocky. Cowboys did not walk into games hoping to win they went in expecting to win. Deion put the time in, in the film room and he produced in game time. No doubt he used the image of Prime Time just as Ali used his antics of being the greatest of all time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
His legend is undeserved

You're crazy.

Deion practically invited the term "Shutdown corner."
Teams would literally concede half the field to the defense and would stay away from Deion's side.
No other corner commanded that type of respect.
And when Deion got his hands on the ball, he was a terror.

No, Deion's legend isn't undeserved. Don't let the brass talking fool you. He was THAT good.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Deion was so good when he sat a few plays QB's would still not even look to his side.

Gameover

Reaction score
You're crazy.

Teams would literally concede half the field to the defense and would stay away from Deion's side.

No, Deion's legend isn't undeserved. Don't let the brass talking fool you. He was THAT good.

This is why I call him Myth Sanders

Gameover

Reaction score
Aeneas Williams
Rhonde Barber
Troy Vincent
Rod Woodson

A few off top who were Myth's equals some were better.(barber, woodson)

Barber will be in the HOF for those who'll disagree

Cowboys signed Myth during the 1995 season, the Eagles signed Vincent during the 1996 off season, they got the better player from 96 on...(and Myth was great in 96 and the 8 games in 97)

The dumbest thing Jerry has ever done as GM is crippling his salary cap on Myth.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Aeneas Williams
Rhonde Barber
Troy Vincent
Rod Woodson

Cowboys signed Myth during the 1995 season, the Eagles signed Vincent during the 1996 off season, they got the better player from 96 on...(and Myth was great in 96 and the 8 games in 97)

The dumbest thing Jerry has ever done as GM is crippling his salary cap on Myth.

You are also forgetting that he was one of the greatest returners ever.

Gameover

Reaction score
You're crazy.

Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa "saved" baseball... Another often regurgitated but false myth.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Aeneas Williams
Rhonde Barber
Troy Vincent
Rod Woodson

lol the first 3 you mentioned weren't even close to Deion's level. I'd take Charles Woodson, Darrell green, champ bailey and dick night train lane before them. Rod Woodson is probably the best all around corner/db.