NFL News: Is Bentley ready to fly out of N.O.? (denies interest in Eagles)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Someone remind me again why there's an Eagirls fan posting on our site....

:lmao2:
:trophy: < :lombardi:
Can you really blame him now?

Reaction score
Ahhhh good point.....it's a said thing when your franchise goes all the way back to NFL vs AFL days without any trophies to show for it!!!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Ahhhh good point.....it's a said thing when your franchise goes all the way back to NFL vs AFL days without any trophies to show for it!!!

I'll admit ... it's a said thing!:rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
ActuallY, CA is not an advocate ...CA Quote [..."I'm not sold on T.O. to Dallas because there is risk, but if anyone can pull it off it's Parcells. The guy is "The Horse Whisperer" when it comes to malcontents.]"

But my comment has totally nothing to do with his position ..."coming from the team soon to acquire TO!" Has nothing to do with the Poster.

You're quick ...nothing gets by you!:rolleyes:

I think you need to do a better job of comprehension.

WOW... all those years of losing(and I do mean ALL those years, yep you lost in every one of them LMAO) is really frying your brain.

YOU posted what you posted under a quote from CA. I see ALOT gets by you! LOL... sheesh... you are too easy, almost no challenge.

Comeback...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Ahhhh good point.....it's a sad thing when your franchise goes all the way back to NFL vs AFL days without any trophies to show for it!!!

It IS INDEED a "sad thing"
I cant hold back the tears of... joy from them coming so close 2 years ago and then McChoking in SuperBowl... again... sad!

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I've yet to read alot from anyone departing NO, players and coaches, that have anything good to say as they leave. And when that's the case, I tend to believe that it's more organizational than anything else. Not saying Bentley is totally blameless, but NO isn't exactly known to be a class organization from ownership on down.

Horn has also been known to get into it w/teammates so I take that with a grain of salt. Wasn't there a rumor about an alleged affair w/Norman Hand's wife?

March 2, 2006 5:00 AM ET
By Jason Powell
Senior Editor
Saints Offseason Game Plan
http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm?id=5572&print=1

Jim Haslett's reign of mediocrity is finally over. However, Saints fans who hope this is a sign that team owner Tom Benson is serious about winning must keep in mind that Haslett actually forced his way out of New Orleans. Team officials wanted to retain Haslett's services, but he forced their hand by demanding a long-term contract extension.

Enter new head coach Sean Payton. The right-hand man of Bill Parcells was named head coach back in January. He is an offensive-minded coach and worked directly with the Cowboys quarterbacks during his stay in Big D. That history of working with signal callers might be what won over Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, who made the call to hire Payton. After all, the Saints hold the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and are expected to select the heir apparent to Aaron Brooks.

As for Brooks, he is still under contract for two more seasons. Team officials have yet to say whether he will be released, but that is the widespread assumption. Brooks became disgruntled last season when the team was displaced due to Hurricane Katrina, so one can only assume that he wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of serving as a lame duck quarterback for one season if the team uses its first-round pick on his eventual replacement.

Needs
The Saints first priority should be to re-sign center LeCharles Bentley. However, team officials failed to re-sign him to a long-term deal last year, and the Pro Bowl offensive lineman will draw interest as an unrestricted free agent. The Vikings, who have more salary cap space than any team in the league, are reportedly planning to make a push to sign Bentley, so it wouldn't be surprising if his asking price is higher than the Saints will be willing to meet.

Loomis used the draft and free agency last year to build an offensive line that could open holes for running back Deuce McAllister. Unfortunately, in the same season the Saints committed to the run, they lost their star tailback when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during week five. McAllister should be ready for training camp, but it generally takes players who suffer ACL injuries a full season to regain their previous form. Thus, the Saints will be looking to add backfield depth. Antowain Smith performed well in that role last year, but it remains to be seen whether he fits in Payton's system.

If the Saints lose Bentley, they will have a major hole to fill in the middle of their offensive line. Right tackle Jammal Brown started 13 games as a rookie last season, and Wayne Gandy started all 16 games at the other end of the line. The Saints have the bookends taken care of, but starting guards Montrae Holland and Kendyl Jacox leave plenty to be desired. And who knows where those two players would be without the help they received from Bentley in the middle.

Of course, the obvious position of need is quarterback. Brooks has worn out his welcome in Cajun country, and backup Todd Bouman did nothing in the three games he started (two touchdown passes and six interceptions) last season to make anyone believe he is capable of being a productive starter. There are rumors that the Saints are interested in acquiring Commanders quarterback Patrick Ramsey, which would be a good marketing move given his history as a star college quarterback at Tulane. It could also allow a rookie quarterback to hold a clipboard for a season while Ramsey starts.

New defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs inherits an improving unit. The defensive line is coming around, thanks in large part to defensive ends Will Smith and Charles Grant, who are good enough that the team can lose Darren Howard to free agency without missing a beat. Starting cornerback Fakhir Brown is a free agent, so the team needs to re-sign him or find a suitable replacement.

The weakness of the Saints defense is the same this year as it was last year at this time. Let's be honest, the squad hasn't had a good linebacker since Sam Mills left town in 1995. Second-year outside right linebacker Colby Bockwoldt showed some signs of life when he logged 89 tackles last season, but the team desperately needs help at the other two linebacker positions, which helps explain why the team finished 30th and 27th against the run the last two seasons.

Although the Saints have enough salary cap space to add some key talent, it remains to be seen whether players will shy away from the team due to last year's natural disaster. The team is hoping to play all eight home games in Louisiana next season, but some players may pass on a city, as well as a team, that is in rebuilding mode.

Salary Cap Situation
The Saints are $8.2 million below the projected salary cap, according to ESPN.com. They could save additional money by releasing Brooks and other dead weight players with big contracts such as Bouman, tight end Boo Williams, tight end Ernie Conwell, and cornerback Fred Thomas.

Unrestricted Free Agents
C LeCharles Bentley, RB Antowain Smith, RB Anthony Thomas, WR Az-Zahir Hakim, WR Michael Lewis, FB, Fred McAfee, TE Lamont Hall, DE Darren Howard, CB Fakhir Brown, LB James Allen, LB Ronald McKinnon, LB Sedrick Hodge, LB T.J. Slaughter, DE Willie Whitehead, S Mel Mitchell

Restricted Free Agents
TE Zach Hilton, G Montrae Holland

Free Agent Signings
None

The Draft
Assuming USC running back Reggie Bush is the first overall pick, the Saints will have their pick of the rookie quarterbacks. Although most observers expect the Saints to pick between Matt Leinart (USC) and Vince Young (Texas), don't be surprised if Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) earns serious consideration. Cutler is moving up the draft boards thanks to his impressive performance at the scouting combine, and the fact that he's a Mississippi native can't hurt his chances.

Payton met Leinart for the first time at the Super Bowl last month, so it's not as if there are any ties between the head coach and the USC star, whom is considered the most likely of the three candidates to end up in New Orleans. The good news is that all three signal callers have stated that they would have no problem playing for the Saints despite the disaster issues.

Assuming the Saints use their first-round pick on a quarterback, they will most likely use their second-round pick on a linebacker or an offensive lineman.

Injury Watch
Team officials have been quiet regarding the status of McAllister's surgically repaired knee thus far. As previously noted, it usually takes players a full season to regain their previous form. Deuce has had some weight and conditioning issues in the past, so there's at least a chance that it could take him longer to recover than other players.

Howard sat out the last four games of the season with a knee injury. However, there has been speculation that his mouth was more of a problem than his knee was. Apparently, Howard didn't enjoy holding workouts in parking lots and lifting weights inside makeshift tents. The story goes that Haslett lost patience with Howard and placed him on the inactive list as a result.

Koojo

Reaction score
I'm with Ashwynn,but then have you ever seen a happy Eagle FA.:jints: :skins: :iggles: I knew i'd get the right one sooner or later