NFL | NFL Draft looks to be moving again

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:35:17 -0800

Clark Judge, of CBSSportsline.com, reports although nothing is official, sources confirmed the NFL is negotiating a one-year deal with Radio City Music Hall to host the April 29-30 NFL Draft. The draft last year took place at the Javits Convention Center in New York and was held at Madison Square Garden in April 2004.

Holloway805

05 & 09 Pick a Winner Champ
Reaction score
How about bring it out West so us Californians can come take a look-see?

Rick_Deckard

luvtheboys
Reaction score
Have any of board members ever attended? I'm curious if it is a good time or if it gets really old being surrounded by obnoxious Jets and Giants fans (excuse the redundancy). I imagine that the first round would be fun and nerve wracking waiting for the Boys to pick. After that I'm not so sure - especially if they trade down.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Holloway805 said:
How about bring it out West so us Californians can come take a look-see?
Fine for the future, but not this year. I'm planning to go this year and want to go to NY.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I went last year and they had it split between two rooms, the main draft room where espn and all the teams are and then a second room with post selection interviews, chairs and flatscreens. First, let it be known that you can't have alcohol at the event, or eat in the main room.... this makes this a bit less rowdy and probably a smart thing, but you can't just go planning on hanging out and drinking all day with your buddy's, while you wait for picks.

It's pretty interesting in the main room for the first round or so as you try to figure out who everyone is going to pick and you can watch the ESPN guys do their thing. The secondary room is a bit boring, other than maybe the occasional interview with a top draft pick, where you get to see some of these guys up close.

I guess all in all it was a decent experience, but it's not exactly exciting. The more you know about the players coming out in the draft and other teams needs, the more involved you can get with other fans and start to guess picks and see who's falling. You can also spend time talking smack to the Giants and Eagles fans. It's a long time between picks, so the more people you have to talk to, the better.

I think hosting or going to a draft day party with a group of friends, who maybe even liked a bunch of different teams would be more "fun" though. If you happen to be in the area and have never been, I would say it's worth checking out once for the three hours of the first round, otherwise, you're not missing much IMO.

superpunk

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Fine for the future, but not this year. I'm plannign to go this year and want to go to NY.

Any idea how you get into something like that? Ticketmaster?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Clark Judge, of CBSSportsline.com, reports although nothing is official, sources confirmed the NFL is negotiating a one-year deal with Radio City Music Hall to host the April 29-30 NFL Draft. The draft last year took place at the Javits Convention Center in New York and was held at Madison Square Garden in April 2004.
My living room is available for the right price :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They were going to have the draft at my house but I just did not have the room. LOL

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Without getting into details, I was actually invited. Still could fall through I guess, but I'm treating it as if it won't. I would think tickets are from a broker though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
They were going to have the draft at my house but I just did not have the room. LOL
How much more room do you need Dooms? I got a hell of a construction crew at my disposal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
How much more room do you need Dooms? I got a hell of a construction crew at my disposal.

I said they could use my backyard but have to share it with my Golden Retriever

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I've always thought this was a missed opportunity for the NFL. They should have the draft in a different NFL city each year (maybe the team with the first pick) and tie it to the same week-long "NFL Experience" production they do before each Super Bowl. That podium can be moved out of NYC without too much trouble.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
RADIO CITY!!??

Huh?

For those of you who have not been to Radio City...they've got these super nice, huge, cushy, velvet seats....the entire place is plush carpeted...now add to that, screaming football fans, some who are drunk out of their minds.

I dunno...why not have it at the Metropolitan Opera House?

Rush 2112

Reaction score
superpunk said:

First come, first served.

Wait in line in rain, snow, over night etc, etc.

Unless you stay til end of day 2 the prior year.

If you do that you get 2 free tickets to the following year.

Called Day 2 Die Hards.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:

As long as it is on ESPN I don't care.

Bryan8284

Reaction score
At the end of day 2 last year we filled out forms to get tickets for this year's. One ticket per form per person. They did away with the 2 for 1. Abuot 3-400 of us left at the end of day 2 last year.

Dallas31

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
First come, first served.
Wait in line in rain, snow, over night etc, etc.
Unless you stay til end of day 2 the prior year.
If you do that you get 2 free tickets to the following year.
Called Day 2 Die Hards.

Yeah this is pretty much true...

I have friends who went a few times and the tickets are first come, first served the day of the event. What they don't advertise though is that if you go the night before you often can get tickets. My friends did this twice already....went friday night and were given tickets for saturday without having to wait in line for tickets saturday.