NFL | NFL Network talking to B. Gumbel

lspain1

Reaction score
I thought Bryant Gumbel left sports broadcasting for the more rarefied atmosphere of news and morning commentary. I thought he was OK as an announcer but he's been away from it for a while now. I don't care for his politics but that shouldn't enter into a sports venue anyway. I actually think ESPN has some better candidates for the job but maybe the price is right. How about Mike & Mike for the job?

mmurray21

Reaction score
acheman said:
How many black athletes do you think participate in the x games? I am not saying these should be valid sports for an Olympic competition, but I see no reason to discredit the participants, just because of a lack of blacks. He said it was a farce to call them the best athletes in the world, and you could find more blacks at a GOP convention. If black athletes do not compete in these games due to socio-economic, regional, or interest levels then that makes those others who do less athletic?

I actually think his point was about the hype surrounding the Olympics. He was railing against the claim that these were the greatest athletes in the world. He was not trying to crack on the athletes that are in the games. His major point was that He wasn't going to watch and couldn't stand all the hype surrounding games that he suggested no one cares about. Way too much has been made of his statement.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TonyS said:
Couldn't be a more terrible person to select for play-by-play, except for maybe Gilbert Godfried, but then at least he would be funny.

Gilbert Godfried would be an absolute riot as a color guy for the NFL....for about a half a game. Then it would wear pretty thin.

But for that half, I'd be laughin.

Ya know, I bet a booth of Gumbel and Godfried would get some serious ratings! ;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think HE WAS taking shots at the athletes at those games- in his warped view of the world only BLACK ATHLETES are worthy of great acclaim. If you don't have a lot of black athletes involved then it is not a legitimate sport.
This is not the first time he has said something of that sort- just the first time he got called on it; of course no one had the guts to really call him out- being black and all you can't without being called a racist.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
He has some NFL credentials. Are none of you ancient enough to recall the old NBC pre-game show? He was the host in the late 70s/early 80s. It was on opposite the NFL Today on CBS.

I read this anecdote about him. He read off a scripted piece about Harold Carmichael of the Eagles. It was full of things like, "great, spectacular, tremendous," and after it was over, Gumbel threw down the script and said, "How many $#$%# superlatives do they want me to say about the guy?"

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
He has some NFL credentials. Are none of you ancient enough to recall the old NBC pre-game show? He was the host in the late 70s/early 80s. It was on opposite the NFL Today on CBS.

I read this anecdote about him. He read off a scripted piece about Harold Carmichael of the Eagles. It was full of things like, "great, spectacular, tremendous," and after it was over, Gumbel threw down the script and said, "How many $#$%# superlatives do they want me to say about the guy?"
:laugh2: