News: NFL-NFLPA met to discuss negotiations on new CBA

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares at this point. :laugh:
When it comes down to it, the fans will lose out no matter what.

Everyone will get more money somehow, and the fans will be the ones paying for it.
Players get more money, owners will raise the prices, the NFL will increase price for TV ads. Then the merchandise will go up because they need to pay for the commercials.

Food and parking will go up too.

unFans will pay, inflation continues, fans pay more.
But they have the control to stop that and choose not to so it will continue. The only unknown in all of this is how those TV contracts and rights' fees are going to shake out because that's the Golden Goose.

One thing the owners and NFLPA know is that the fans will still come back whether they lookout or strike. Oh, they'll threaten boycotts and other nonsense and take sides but in the end, they always come back.

I keep wondering if there is a ceiling and with some of the economic indicators that we are headed for another recession, is there a breaking point? Will the cap continue a 10-12M jump every year forever?

I tell ya, jazzy, when I looked at the fact that Aaron Rodgers will make more money in one football game than the average American will make in his lifetime, that was sobering. It is mind boggling but that's where we are and it is only going to go higher. We are within a couple of years of that first 40M a year QB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Interesting, let's meet to discuss future meetings.

Each side is going to attempt to figure out the obstacles and gauge the possibility of no football and what they need to do to hunker down for the fight. I do not think the NFLPA is nearly as unified as the owners are or in agreement on the sticking points.

Some seem to feel pot and Goodell's power will be one of the sticking points but just what % of the gen pop of the NFL does that affect? Those do not directly relate to money. And that's what this is and will always be about.

The most interesting part of this for me will be the effort to take it to an 18 regular game season. And that will be all about the money.
They have to look like they are doing something. They probly get a paycheck or something for it. Maybe catered lunch. A party for billionaires. They have nothing else to do..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they have the control to stop that and choose not to so it will continue. The only unknown in all of this is how those TV contracts and rights' fees are going to shake out because that's the Golden Goose.

One thing the owners and NFLPA know is that the fans will still come back whether they lookout or strike. Oh, they'll threaten boycotts and other nonsense and take sides but in the end, they always come back.

I keep wondering if there is a ceiling and with some of the economic indicators that we are headed for another recession, is there a breaking point? Will the cap continue a 10-12M jump every year forever?

I tell ya, jazzy, when I looked at the fact that Aaron Rodgers will make more money in one football game than the average American will make in his lifetime, that was sobering. It is mind boggling but that's where we are and it is only going to go higher. We are within a couple of years of that first 40M a year QB.

Leads to me they will crash and burn at some point.
Yes, agree, fans will always be back, in all major sports.

But at some point fans will be priced out. And it will take its toll. But as long as the revenue is coming from TV contracts and sponsors, they can keep the prices down which are still too high. But there will always be some fan that will pay the price when others refuse to do so.

cern

Reaction score
Leads to me they will crash and burn at some point.
Yes, agree, fans will always be back, in all major sports.

But at some point fans will be priced out. And it will take its toll. But as long as the revenue is coming from TV contracts and sponsors, they can keep the prices down which are still too high. But there will always be some fan that will pay the price when others refuse to do so.
football is unique in that there are only 16 games in a season. they can't draw income for 88 games like basketball of 162 like mlb or whatever hockey seasons are. if both sides don't get a grip on rising salaries, it will affect many fans. we play the fewest amount of games in the most expensive venues. sooner or later, humpty's going to fall off the wall. players and owners need to see the big picture.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
football is unique in that there are only 16 games in a season. they can't draw income for 88 games like basketball of 162 like mlb or whatever hockey seasons are. if both sides don't get a grip on rising salaries, it will affect many fans. we play the fewest amount of games in the most expensive venues. sooner or later, humpty's going to fall off the wall. players and owners need to see the big picture.
Each team got 255m from TV last year

The Salary Cap was 177m and required benefits, pensions and insurance added another 40m

That means each team clears almost 40m in revenues before they sell one ticket, PSL, jersey, hat , hot dog, beer, radio ad, parking spot, etc

Stadium debt is a big expense for many Franchises but that is easily covered by the remainder of the revenue sharing and other revenue streams

The Owners have it really, really good and the players have it really, really good...... if they can't split up 15b billion that is a sin

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
I just want "sole power" taken away from him. I don't want him to be able to suspend a player because he believes they are guilty. I am still fumed over the Zeke suspension, Goodell set out to make sure Zeke was suspended but yet did not blink when the OBJ video popped up on the internet. I believe Goodell stated that a player only had to "appear" guilty and that was his reasoning for suspending Zeke. Micheal Bennett, caught on tape pushing a woman in a wheel chair over and no suspension. He play favorites and it needs to stop!

Sorry...I do not see this as a factor the majority of the NFLPA will want to fight over. The median salary in the league is about $850k. Not bad, but that is before the cut for the agent and paying any "people" that work for/with them (and obviously taxes). I don't see a player who is in the "bottom half" of a roster, who follows the rules and doesn't beat up kids and women looking their family in the eye and saying "I know it doesn't impact me, but I am going to have to give up a substantial part of my NFL career earnings so some guys can smoke weed and hit women without getting suspended." How would that fly in your house?

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Take the power away from Goodell,
fine_roger.jpeg

BigD_95

Reaction score
Please Please Please do away with the salary cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The NFLPA is bringing a knife to a gunfight again .... they re-hired D Smith to lead the negotiations

I have always seen the PA as a house/rat type union. Basically bends over for the owners all the time. Hell they even screwed up Zeke's defence last year.

The one thing the PA needs to be a hill to die on is Goodie's arbitrary powers as judge jury and executioner. That has to stop.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That probably will not happen in our lifetime and while I originally thought the ratings break would take it's toll on the TV contracts but the internet will cover that and as long as there are companies like Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Microsoft, the NFL will get their money.

And, cern, when does greed ever see it coming? Their big picture just keeps getting bigger. My problem is that I do not think the games are at the same level of quality as they were in the past so it has become a diminishing return on the time invested for me. The games have gotten longer, the stops too many and they're all making more money.