NFL NUGGETS : Eagles tease Cowboys with postseason opportunity

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
NFL NUGGETS : Eagles tease Cowboys with postseason opportunity
http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/36050/

I have never been a Cowboys fan, and I never will, but even I had to feel a little bit sorry for Dallas fans watching the second half of Sunday’s Washington-Philadelphia game. Before the game, every diehard Dallas supporter knew the scenario. If the Eagles were to upset Washington, then the Cowboys could capture the NFC’s final playoff spot Sunday night game against the Rams. If the Commanders won, they were in and the Cowboys were out.

Early on, you could feel the Dallas faithful’s hopes rise as Philly QB Mike McMahon, backup to the injured Donovan McNabb, hooked up with rookie WR Reggie Brown for two TDs and a 17-7 lead late in the second quarter.

Could it be that the battered and beleaguered Eagles could muster enough to upset a Commanders squad fighting for a playoff spot? Well... no.

McMahon suddenly remembered that he wasn’t McNabb and Brown wasn’t T. O. McMahon turned the ball over twice in the fourth quarter, prompting coaches to replace him with Koy Detmer.

Regardless, it was a Sean Taylor return of a Detmer fumble late in the game that sealed Washington’s 31-20 win and the Commanders’ first postseason berth since 1999.

The Eagles’ collapse rendered Dallas’ game with St. Louis moot, and the Cowboys played like it, falling 20-10.

Detroit, which hung with Pittsburgh for a while Sunday, teased Kansas City with postseason aspirations in a similar-type situation.

For Dallas and Kansas City fans, that’s a rough way to end a season — with playoff-caliber squads staying home. Kansas City’s Dick Vermeil retired on Sunday, but I hope Bill Parcells doesn’t follow suit. Great coaches who are also great characters are becoming more and more scarce, and I’d like to see the Tuna give it at least one more season.

Fire the refs Some NFL head coaches have gotten the ax already, and more will likely fall before the week’s out. But one guy who will be keeping his job is NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira, whose team put up the worst performance of the season. There have been a ton of stank-tacular calls this year. Some refs, like NFLRA president Ed Hochuli, are solid every year. And some, like Mike Carey, just stink.

Pereira’s just lucky that the NFL doesn’t hold it’s front office to the standard applied to head coaches, or he’d be selling insurance by now.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Andy Reid was not going to allow the Eagles to win that game regardless of how it looked in beginning. I wasnt buying it.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
andy reid threw that game....

it was obvious.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Andy Reid was not going to allow the Eagles to win that game regardless of how it looked in beginning. I wasnt buying it.

What makes you think that?

I think they were playing extremely hard and trying to win that game.

Then again, 2 guys could watch a game and come out of it with 2 totally different opinions....Cowboyszone.com epitomizes that.... :p:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Andy Reid obviously threw the game.

He put noodle-arm Detmer in with the game on the line after McMahon had done very well all day.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Andy Reid obviously threw the game.
He put noodle-arm Detmer in with the game on the line after McMahon had done very well all day.

Unless you're being sarcastic ...I'm actually surprised to read comments from HH31, YoM, and L1975.

Taking into consideration the Eagles performance throughtout the year, I suppose you really believed that the Eagles would steal a victory from the very team that beat your team twice???

Even putting that to one side, the Eagles were Playing a team team that is so
in control of their destiny ...and so wants to get into the playoffs -- not having been there since 1999; versus a very disappointing injury-laden year for the Eagles. Hello ...where's the motivation???

Topped-off by playing against a first string roster ...you expected a second and third string Eagles QB, with second string RBs, rookie WRs and secondary, to pull off a Victory!??

Oh yeah ...we threw the game big time!:rolleyes:

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Any NFL head coach that intentionally threw a game would be hated by his players forever. And, while I don't like the Eagles, I think Andy Reid has too much class to throw a game.

MS17

Reaction score
That game wasn't thrown and Reid is a professional. I think a lot of us are so disappointed and on the verge of disgust, we can think a lot of things. Philly just didnt have the horses in the last 10 minutes.
We might have to rethink what Atlanta did on Sunday, though ;)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CooterBrown said:
Any NFL head coach that intentionally threw a game would be hated by his players forever. And, while I don't like the Eagles, I think Andy Reid has too much class to throw a game.

Well said...

Cowboys fans can be brats sometimes...so use to the good life, sometimes we need to make excuses other then how we played in a season to help us sleep at night.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not say this to pick on people, as a personal attack or to make lite of anyone with a problem.

But sometimes I read things that make me honestly think that some people should seek professional help.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
CooterBrown said:

I hope you are right.......it would be hard for me to watch NFL games with the passion I do today if indeed it was ever proven that coaches throw games....

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I do not say this to pick on people, as a personal attack or to make lite of anyone with a problem.

But sometimes I read things that make me honestly think that some people should seek professional help.

Calling the doc right now :D

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I do not say this to pick on people, as a personal attack or to make lite of anyone with a problem. But sometimes I read things that make me honestly think that some people should seek professional help.

Placing a call right now ...ouch;)

djmajestik

Reaction score
I think Andy wanted to see what he had in Detmer, isn't that what a lot of us were calling for in the final game? Show us what we got in Henson, in Romo. When Reid saw that McMahon was having problems, why not?

Not sticking up for Reid, but I think if the roles were reversed, and we would have seen Romo in there, we would have been a bit happer than seeing Bledsoe (who we know what we got) in there.

silver

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Unless you're being sarcastic ...I'm actually surprised to read comments from HH31, YoM, and L1975.

Taking into consideration the Eagles performance throughtout the year, I suppose you really believed that the Eagles would steal a victory from the very team that beat your team twice???

Even putting that to one side, the Eagles were Playing a team team that is so
in control of their destiny ...and so wants to get into the playoffs -- not having been there since 1999; versus a very disappointing injury-laden year for the Eagles. Hello ...where's the motivation???

Topped-off by playing against a first string roster ...you expected a second and third string Eagles QB, with second string RBs, rookie WRs and secondary, to pull off a Victory!??

Oh yeah ...we threw the game big time!:rolleyes:

detmer had no business in that game, or in the league for that matter. his passes didn't travel longer than 10 yards and you could've timed them with a sun dial. pathetic. why was he in there. as an eagle fan you can't believe he gave you the best chance to win.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I'm figuring that the absolutely last thing on Reid's mind as he threw water on the smoldering remains of the 2005 season as it went down in flames, ... was the Dallas Cowboys.

But with 5 turnovers and putting in Detmer the Iggles sucked to epic proportions that game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Reid threw the game but I will say this is what happens when you put yourself in a position of relying on others to help you get to the playoffs.

Smith22

Reaction score
silver said:
detmer had no business in that game, or in the league for that matter. his passes didn't travel longer than 10 yards and you could've timed them with a sun dial. pathetic. why was he in there. as an eagle fan you can't believe he gave you the best chance to win.

Try looking at the turnovers their starting QB (McMahon) had. Try looking at his completion % this year. The guy stinks, period...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't think Reid threw the game but I will say this is what happens when you put yourself in a position of relying on others to help you get to the playoffs.

Yep.

Not sure why they went with another QB, I cant remember the game all that much.

It was Reid's right to run his team the way he saw fit.

Besides, does Reid really hate the Cowboys more than the Skins anyway?

You all do know if the Eagles would have won that game and we beat the Rams then the Skins would have been out of the playoffs?

They played with more heart then we did.