News: NFL rates Donovan Wilson as number 2 Safety in the league

Macnalty

Reaction score
Absolutely correct.

Wilson is the Rover in Dan Quinn’s defense.
Likewise, Parson’s plays the Leo position. Both are schemed and intended to make more plays than anyone else on the field. Of course, the player still has to have the ability to make the play.. so credit is still warranted

Rover is the 2nd level playmaker

Leo is the playmaker near(or beyond) the LOS

side note: Since Wilson is playing Kearse’s position.. it will be interesting to see how Quinn utilizes both when Kearse returns. It might actually be even better. Bc is both are on the field (dime packages), the opposing offense won’t know which player is coming down
I think you have to get Kearse in there, he might not hit as hard but he also does not ever miss a tackle. What a great problem to have on defense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Personally, without watching film of the whole field or really knowing what I should, I feel that Hooker has played very well in the deep safety role. He’s around the ball and tackles well. More importantly, I don’t see the blown coverages we saw last year where the CBs and deep safety weren’t on the same page, resulting in easy TDs.

Manster68

Reaction score
I love it when late round picks pay dividends. Undrafted free agents also.

Reactions: BAT

RS12

Reaction score
Because PFF is fools gold.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why people (media and fans alike) put any faith in PFF made up numbers. It’s garbage analysis calculated by opinion.

It’s only used by media pundits for confirmation bias to “prove” whatever short take they are selling at the moment.

Betcha his PFF grades miraculously improve after this week now that NFL.com has him rated highly.
Not saying anything one way or another about PFF but I would imagine it gets touted because Collinsworth has some ownership in the company., and he is currently a staple on SNF. Interestingly I couldn't help but notice Collinsworth and Goodell hanging out at the Bengals game last night.

plasticman

Reaction score
And I'll say it again, it only seems like yesterday when the safety position was of deep concern.

There was a lot of disappointment that the Cowboys didn't prioritize the position a few drafts ago. Now the Cowboys have some real depth at the position with a lot of youth and potential to improve the even further.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Rank
yzwczgifjvboloesnbu2

Donovan Wilson
Dallas Cowboys · Year 4
  • Play-time percentage: 94
  • Tackling score: 95
  • Coverage score: 90
  • Pass-rush score: 92
  • OVERALL SCORE: 93

Since taking over as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator in 2021, Dan Quinn has used nickel personnel (five defensive backs) at the second-highest rate in the NFL (79 percent of plays). Given that Quinn is also one of the last defensive play callers majoring in single-high shells (63 percent of plays since '21, third in NFL), that means the strong safety will often line up in the box. This year, Wilson has filled that role for the Cowboys, aligning in the box almost as frequently (41 percent of the time) as he does at deep safety (44 percent). The fourth-year pro has taken advantage of his proximity to the ball, leading all safeties with four QB pressures on just 11 blitzes. Availability has been the only weak point in Wilson's NFL career, but if he can stay healthy, opposing quarterbacks will have to account for another emerging threat on Dallas' aggressive defense.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-s...ties-derwin-james-at-no-1-rookies-paying-imme

Have always been a big fan of Wilson especially considering he came in round 6 . Man is a hard hitting play maker exactly what the Eagles need to see when venturing into the secondary not to mention run support on Miles Sanders and Hurts . Can Wilson stay healthy that’s been the key to his success . When he’s healthy on the field sold player . Just mentioning him with a Derwin James a premium pick is high praise .