NFL Ratings Plunge As 23 Million Fewer Viewers Watch Divisional Playoffs

kskboys

Reaction score
Are you, or have you ever been in a union?
I have not.

A union is formed to represent a certain group of employees. They take what the employees want and fight for it, along w/ trying to always get better terms.

At a certain point in negotiations, both sides will have to give concessions to get what they want. In this case, the players gave the commish the right to dole out punishment as he sees fit. In return, the players appear to get easier practices and more money.

No?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Of the 2 of us you seem to profess to know more, yet the recent report is clearly showing that Fox are prepared to pay more than the current $450m rights for TNF.

What does this tell you ?
CBS and NBC lowered their bids because they were losing money

Fox is willing to take the losses to expand the brand......FS1 and FS2 need eyeballs and even if the NFL is losing viewers big time it is still #1 for now

lukin2006

Reaction score
Easy. A player's union that only cares about easier practices and a bigger cut of the pie.

Goodell is abusing his power...we can only hope he also has a skeleton in his closet that will come out, eventually leading to his resignation.

diefree666

Reaction score
Goodell is abusing his power...we can only hope he also has a skeleton in his closet that will come out, eventually leading to his resignation.
If it was known I think Jerry would have made sure it got out. Sadly I think we will be disappointed. That slime ball will stick around

diefree666

Reaction score
Easy. A player's union that only cares about easier practices and a bigger cut of the pie.
to be fair NO commissioner ever abused the clause in the CBA like Goodell has. so they really could not have seen this coming. That clause has been around like 50 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
to be fair NO commissioner ever abused the clause in the CBA like Goodell has. so they really could not have seen this coming. That clause has been around like 50 years.
I know you guys just want to hate Gooddell soooooo badly, but he's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the owners, doing their bidding. They didn't just give him a contract extension for kicks. They told him to do what he's doing.

He's not abusing his power, he's trying desperately to get ahead of a problem that may turn out to be untenable anyway.

The NFL has a major, major problem w/ image and long term injuries. Both of these issues are building. Goody's job is to get ahead of these problems. Doing a pretty fair job so far. If it would've been Bell he suspended instead of EZ, none of y'all would care two turds about him.

diefree666

Reaction score
I know you guys just want to hate Gooddell soooooo badly, but he's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the owners, doing their bidding. They didn't just give him a contract extension for kicks. They told him to do what he's doing.

He's not abusing his power, he's trying desperately to get ahead of a problem that may turn out to be untenable anyway.

The NFL has a major, major problem w/ image and long term injuries. Both of these issues are building. Goody's job is to get ahead of these problems. Doing a pretty fair job so far. If it would've been Bell he suspended instead of EZ, none of y'all would care two turds about him.
wow none so blind that will not see

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Why are fans so interested in tv ratings? are you running a tv network?

Never understand why fans claim to care about this.

because theyre looking for confirmation bias for personal beliefs like muh flag and such

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I watch football for the game..NOT for political statements by any player or group of players. If players want a platform to toss out their personal opinions, let them use twitter. Networks focusing in on all the political hoopla did it for me this season....I only watched Cowboys games..whereas I would normally have at least had some others on as background noise...
This fan mass exodus should be a good thing for Fans of the game..the League will take a hard look at itself and maybe cut the self mandated elitist attitudes that alienate so many..."The Emperors New Clothes" comes to mind......Nah, never happen.
You must be new here.

diver5000

Reaction score
I have not.

A union is formed to represent a certain group of employees. They take what the employees want and fight for it, along w/ trying to always get better terms.

At a certain point in negotiations, both sides will have to give concessions to get what they want. In this case, the players gave the commish the right to dole out punishment as he sees fit. In return, the players appear to get easier practices and more money.

No?
I can see by your comments that you have very little idea of the lengths a union will go to protect the rights of their members. Especially a union of major sports players. Give it a rest you're only embarrassing yourself with this Goodell bashing. Jerry was going to sue the NFL, Zeke was going to "clear his name" and none of this and other threats ever materialized. You're beating a dead horse and looking foolish to boot.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can see by your comments that you have very little idea of the lengths a union will go to protect the rights of their members. Especially a union of major sports players. Give it a rest you're only embarrassing yourself with this Goodell bashing. Jerry was going to sue the NFL, Zeke was going to "clear his name" and none of this and other threats ever materialized. You're beating a dead horse and looking foolish to boot.
Actually, you're looking foolish by not paying attention!!!! I'm the one who is not bashing Gooddell.

I do know, and I stated as such. In this situation, the union fought for the wrong items, IMO. They gave up rights to get amenities.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
..it was the flag ordeal. This country lives on principles. That flag has been a sub conscious principle for the last 300 yrs or so. The NFL bit the hand that feeds them....lol...

That's a simplistic explanation. Last year's divisional playoffs had the Packers and Cowboys, not to mention every 15 year old kid's favorite - the Seahawks. This year they got the Saints and Vikings, along with the Titans and Jaguars - two teams no one cared about. The Jags are so popular they play two home games in London regularly.

We have fans on this board who didn't like the "flag ordeal", and aren't watching the playoffs, who would absolutely be watching if the Cowboys were playing. Now multiply that by several million.

diver5000

Reaction score
Actually, you're looking foolish by not paying attention!!!! I'm the one who is not bashing Gooddell.

I do know, and I stated as such. In this situation, the union fought for the wrong items, IMO. They gave up rights to get amenities.
Sorry if I misdirected that statement but the fact remains, If Zek did nothing wrong the Union would have backed him and he would have played. The Cowboys would have likely been in the playoffs and this hasta' sting.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sorry if I misdirected that statement but the fact remains, If Zek did nothing wrong the Union would have backed him and he would have played. The Cowboys would have likely been in the playoffs and this hasta' sting.
Maybe, maybe not. The union, IMO, is midguided. I don't know if they hired the wrong, guy, gave him bad directions, don't know. And I'm not sure anyone does. It appears to me that the union is focused on the player's little numnums instead of bigtime stuff. How else would you explain them signing off on a deal that gives the commish so much power, and even moreso such a huge grey area in which to operate?

But they got less practicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why are fans so interested in tv ratings? are you running a tv network?

Never understand why fans claim to care about this.

It's mostly fans ticked off at the players and league over national anthems issue......