NFL requests no more Oklahoma drill

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't think the drill helps at the NFL level. Either you know how to tackle or you don't by the time you make it to the NFL. Doing this drill doesn't improve the tackling skills of someone who already knows how to tackle and it doesn't teach someone who can't tackle how to do so.

csirl

Reaction score
Drill was always a vital part of conditioning to play football. Your body gets accustomed to contact e.g. recovery capacity increases which reduces time missed through contact during the season. Like any drill, if it is run correctly in controlled conditions, the likelihood of injury or concussion is reduced.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Practicing like that is overrated for guys playing at that level.

They play 16 games and keeping the body fresh is the most important thing.

Leave the Oklahoma drill to middle school kids and let the pro's work on technique and learning the playbook.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Practicing like that is overrated for guys playing at that level.

They play 16 games and keeping the body fresh is the most important thing.

Leave the Oklahoma drill to middle school kids and let the pro's work on technique and learning the playbook.

You know they didn't just start playing football recently , right?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drill was always a vital part of conditioning to play football. Your body gets accustomed to contact e.g. recovery capacity increases which reduces time missed through contact during the season. Like any drill, if it is run correctly in controlled conditions, the likelihood of injury or concussion is reduced.

Only folks who have actually played football would understand.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the drill helps at the NFL level. Either you know how to tackle or you don't by the time you make it to the NFL. Doing this drill doesn't improve the tackling skills of someone who already knows how to tackle and it doesn't teach someone who can't tackle how to do so.

ok

Last edited:

DcFootball4

Reaction score
This isn’t fully to do with this, but I’ve been thinking about getting a Cowboys tat on my forearm for a few years now, but all these changes to the game make me second guess it. I know it’s little, but before long the sport we all love won’t exist anymore.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
The NFL gets more sissified everyday. Will likely see more injuries due to this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Every year I see a bunch of guys coming into the League who are superior athletes and but not very good Football Players. I see guys who can't tackle worth a small bag of crap and yet, they make rosters because they have athletic ability.

To me, the League needs a lot more Oklahoma Drills and players need to become better Football Players.

JMO