NFL rule changes

conner01

Reaction score
They are looking now at changing punting rules
This could be interesting

Little Jr

Reaction score
Jmo but I think a lot of the reasons it seems worst than it use to be is because of all media, nfl is even more popular and more prime time games.

When there use to be bad call me and my buddies would ***** about amongst ourselves like others would . Or if we were at a bar we would ***** about it with other fans at the bar . But when we left it would be done with. Now it gets put on Twitter, snapchat, instagram, fb and other forums like this. Then you have talk show after talk show after talk show on t.v. talking about and showing replay after replay after replay. Then add to that there are 3 prime time games compared to 2 for years compared to 1 for a while. So there is more people seeing the bad calls.

Overall the amount of flags thrown haven't changed. The home away penalties are not far off. There are some teams in the NFL that get more calls against ther at home.

Refs are human and they're going to make mistakes but to suggest it's the NFL and Vegas having something to do with is just another conspiracy theory that I laugh at. With that said, if a single ref or even a few were to get caught having a bet on game or someone had got to them to fix a game, that wouldnt surprise me and has been done before I'm other leagues. But to suggest it's a league wide conspiracy is just silly. About as silly as cowboy fans who think the league is out to get them and not let them win. Lol

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Jmo but I think a lot of the reasons it seems worst than it use to be is because of all media, nfl is even more popular and more prime time games.

When there use to be bad call me and my buddies would ***** about amongst ourselves like others would . Or if we were at a bar we would ***** about it with other fans at the bar . But when we left it would be done with. Now it gets put on Twitter, snapchat, instagram, fb and other forums like this. Then you have talk show after talk show after talk show on t.v. talking about and showing replay after replay after replay. Then add to that there are 3 prime time games compared to 2 for years compared to 1 for a while. So there is more people seeing the bad calls.

Overall the amount of flags thrown haven't changed. The home away penalties are not far off. There are some teams in the NFL that get more calls against ther at home.

Refs are human and they're going to make mistakes but to suggest it's the NFL and Vegas having something to do with is just another conspiracy theory that I laugh at. With that said, if a single ref or even a few were to get caught having a bet on game or someone had got to them to fix a game, that wouldnt surprise me and has been done before I'm other leagues. But to suggest it's a league wide conspiracy is just silly. About as silly as cowboy fans who think the league is out to get them and not let them win. Lol

Spot on.

Cydios

Reaction score
With the increase of lawsuits from past players, the NFL doesn't care about the players, but does care about being sued.
Also, with the advancements in technology we are able to see a hell of a lot more than before. There's about 5 times more the angles vs the 80s and 90s. Replay also want a factor until it was brought back.
So combine both and add salary caps to make things "fair" and you see where the NFL is now.
My opinion is football is like boxing. You know what you're getting into, and if something happens.. oh well. That's the chance you take. "We" became "me" etc etc etc.
I would not be surprised if in 10 years, rushing the QB is no longer allowed and punts are taken away.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Lol it's always been that way and that conspiracy has been around for years
Yes, but what I’m saying is they’ve been prepping for this legalization of gambling in other states which makes sense when you see so many rule changes in such little time. also the vagueness of the rules

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same amount flags thrown now is the the same as it was 30 years ago.

Yes, the NFL does not want too many penalties per game because it would make the games too long to fit into the time slots the Networks require.

Having said that, they over-penalize during the preseason and emphasize rules changes to the coaches and players such that the players adjust over the years to conform.

If you could transport an officiating crew back to the seventies to call a game and they called it the same as today, they would have 100 penalties on the 1st drive because those players would not have adapted.

In other words, while the actual number of penalties may be similar today as it was decades ago, it's only because the players have adapted, not because the refs have not changed.

In the seventies penalties were called when Randy White ripped off an opponents helmet and clubbed him over the head with it. Even that was not always called.

Historically it is the Persecuted that adapt, not the Persecutor (Tyrant).

Sometimes the persecuted adapt by killing the Tyrant.

The NFL is the Tyrant.
The players are the Gladiators.
We are the citizens that pay taxes but continue to be oppressed.

Last edited:

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yes, the NFL does not want too many penalties per game because it would make the games too long to fit into the time slots the Networks require.

Having said that, they over-penalize during the preseason and emphasize rules changes to the coaches and players such that the players adjust over the years to conform.

If you could transport an officiating crew back to the seventies to call a game and they called it the same as today, they would have 100 penalties on the 1st drive because those players would not have adapted.

In other words, while the actual number of penalties may be similar today as it was decades ago, it's only because the players have adapted, not because the refs have not changed.

In the seventies penalties were called when Randy White ripped off an opponents helmet and clubbed him over the head with it. Even that was not always called.

Historically it is the Persecuted that adapt, not the Persecutor (Tyrant).

Sometimes the persecuted adapt by killing the Tyrant.

The NFL is the Tyrant.
The players are the Gladiators.
We are the citizens that pay taxes but continue to be oppressed.
Yes, and if you transported a ref crew from the 70s to now there would still be 11-13 called because the refs wouldnt have adapted. So yes, the refs have changes because their job required them to. Lol I'm not sure I get your point.

Since there are more rules, it's obvious refs transported back would call more penalties. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but by % of penalties, Refs now days actually call less penalties than they did in the 70s. All hypothetical numbers here but if there were 10 possible penalties to call in the 70s and now there is 20 but both eras call 11-13 a game, % wise they call less now. They have more choices to call penalties on but still call the same amount with MORE rules.

Either way my point still stands , if anyone thinks that the league and Vegas is somehow in bed together and trying to determine the out come of games, its just silly.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm 45 and when I was 25 fans *****ed about the same things. Social media and more media in general has made it worst. Refs have more penalties they can call now than they could've 30 years ago and the same amount of flags are still being thrown.
But when you see a direct call (our snapper moving the ball) that directly lead to Maher missing the kick, that called changed the game.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yes, but what I’m saying is they’ve been prepping for this legalization of gambling in other states which makes sense when you see so many rule changes in such little time. also the vagueness of the rules
Yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagee in this one . Rule changes have been for safety and for more scoring. Safety to cover their *** in a billion $ law suite and scoring for the fans. Not all the fans because I don't like all the scoring but the new generation of fans, like my 16 yr old son and his snowflake buddy's love it. Lol hell i even have friends in their 30s and a few in their 40s who love it. But again, to suggest it's the NFL doing it for Vegas is silly . Also people have to remember , y'all act like betting has been illegal in every state for the last 100 years and it's just now becoming legal. Lol I live in tx and it's never been legal. But I can assure you that my bank account will suggest other wise. Lol there has never been a bet I couldn't make. Especially in the internet era.

Little Jr

Reaction score
But when you see a direct call (our snapper moving the ball) that directly lead to Maher missing the kick, that called changed the game.
And there has never been a call in the last 100 years that was bad that changed the game? It didnt directly lead to the miss. He still had a shot. Harder shot but still a shot. I direct call to end the game would be one like the eagles got on the PI that let us kneel it out. Not saying that was a bad call but if it was and a call like that ended the game would be a good example. Making a fg 5 yds further didnt end it. Our kicker missing it from 5 yds further ended it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, and if you transported a ref crew from the 70s to now there would still be 11-13 called because the refs wouldnt have adapted. So yes, the refs have changes because their job required them to. Lol I'm not sure I get your point.

Since there are more rules, it's obvious refs transported back would call more penalties. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but by % of penalties, Refs now days actually call less penalties than they did in the 70s. All hypothetical numbers here but if there were 10 possible penalties to call in the 70s and now there is 20 but both eras call 11-13 a game, % wise they call less now. They have more choices to call penalties on but still call the same amount with MORE rules.

Either way my point still stands , if anyone thinks that the league and Vegas is somehow in bed together and trying to determine the out come of games, its just silly.

I'll try to explain in a different way.

If they give the refs a list of 100 penalties but tell them they can't call more than 15 in a game, then they'll call the important ones first.

Penalties from severe to fluff.
1. Beating a player with his own helmet until he is unconscious.
90. RB lowing his head before contact with defenders.
100. Cheerleader making too much noise.

In the seventies penalties 1 through 10 might have happened.

In 2018 penalties 1 to about 80 are will not happen because players have been forced to adapt.

That means they now call the same number of penalties per game despite the fact that 80% of what players would have done in the seventies won't happen in 2018.

They call the same 15 or so penalties per game on the fluff like Zeke lowering his head.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
And there has never been a call in the last 100 years that was bad that changed the game? It didnt directly lead to the miss. He still had a shot. Harder shot but still a shot. I direct call to end the game would be one like the eagles got on the PI that let us kneel it out. Not saying that was a bad call but if it was and a call like that ended the game would be a good example. Making a fg 5 yds further didnt end it. Our kicker missing it from 5 yds further ended it.
The call resulted in the 5 yards, which shouldn't have been, and that 5 yards contributed to the miss. You can argue all day about it, but that's exactly what happened. A call that's NEVER called.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I'll try to explain in a different way.

If they give the refs a list of 100 penalties but tell them they can't call more than 15 in a game, then they'll call the important ones first.

Penalties from severe to fluff.
1. Beating a player with his own helmet until he is unconscious.
90. RB lowing his head before contact with defenders.
100. Cheerleader making too much noise.

In the seventies penalties 1 through 10 might have happened.

In 2018 penalties 1 to about 80 are will not happen because players have been forced to adapt.

That means they now call the same number of penalties per game despite the fact that 80% of what players would have done in the seventies won't happen in 2018.

They call the same 15 or so penalties per game on the fluff like Zeke lowering his head.
giphy.gif

Little Jr

Reaction score
What you say sounds good, but facts say something different.

google does a body good: https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-up-more-than-20-percent-since-2009-48360555/
That's accepted penalties. The 11-13 the past 30 years are penalties thrown .

This takes you through the 2016 season. I did the last 2 in my own with some help. Lol your article mentions the 2009 and 2016 season but the penalties called, not accepted had stayed between 11-13. The whole basis of this post was to try to show the NFL is skinf things for Vegas and now that gambling is legal. Penalties accepted can't be controlled by the league or the refs. But penalties thrown can. And they have stayed between 11-13.

Flamma

Reaction score
They didn't actually take kickoffs away. I don't know why kickers don't just kick it high and drop in in between the 10 and 5 yard line. Make them earn their way to the 25. The return man may fumble it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
They didn't actually take kickoffs away. I don't know why kickers don't just kick it high and drop in in between the 10 and 5 yard line. Make them earn their way to the 25. The return man may fumble it.

You mean like ours did last week? And VEGAS WAS WATCHING!!!

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
If this were the case, I think we'd have a whistle-blower already (pun intended).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Add the ability of coaches to challenge penalties.

There is more than one instance a game where it changes the tone.

They let coaches challenge minutiae like the spot but not missed fouls or idiotic interpretations of the rules. It makes no sense.