NFL Rules Changes for 2021

pancakeman

Reaction score
  • Based on preexisting NFL rules, players who want to change their numbers this season will have to buy out the inventory of the NFL's manufacturing partners.
Prioritizing corporate partners over the players whose work is making everyone the money sucks. Especially because I imagine superfans who already bought the old jersey might buy a new one too. Manufacturers should take responsibility for their own inventory issues.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defenses said it was to hard to cover everyone so they had to eliminate that play. Rule changes only ruin the game more and more every time they change them.
What are you talking about? It's always been illegal to throw two forward passes on one play.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
That's a crock. There are very few fans that like how the rules have changed the game from a game of hits to gee you can't hit me anymore. There was a time when the league ran the game and not the NFLPA. There was a time when players got toughen up in training camp having 2 a days for the first couple of weeks and didn't get a day off until the day after the first preseason game was played. Now 3 days into training camp they get a day off. There was a time when a defender could play bump and run all the way unt6il the ball was in the air and not just for the 1st 5 yards. There was a time when a ball carrier was knocked to the ground but now if they do that they get flagged for unnecessary roughness. The was a time that a defensive back was considered good if as soon as a receiver touches the ball they hit him forcing him to drop the ball now they have to give him a chance to catch the ball before hitting him. You may like the game now but there are many fans that wish it was like it was when they actually played full contact tackle football.
So every rule change has to do with who they can and can't hit? Lol. I'm not saying some haven't been bad and watered things down but you make it sound like every rule affects who they can and can't hit when not a single proposal this year has anything to do with that.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the on side kick rule helps make games more competitive
My only problem with the 15 yard play is it’s more luck than skill
The odds of completing a known 15 yard play are pretty slim
Most plays that long are in situations they aren’t playing to defend a 15 yard play but the whole field
But overall after getting better explanations of the new rules there is nothing there I hate
You think recovering an onside kick is LESS luck-driven than completing a 4th-and-15 play? I can't think of anything more luck-driven than an onside kick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What are you talking about? It's always been illegal to throw two forward passes on one play.

Technically a pitch is a pass and there have been many pitches that actually went forward and then they pass backward to the QB again and then he throws a pass down field having two forward passes.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So every rule change has to do with who they can and can't hit? Lol. I'm not saying some haven't been bad and watered things down but you make it sound like every rule affects who they can and can't hit when not a single proposal this year has anything to do with that.

I never said or implied that ALL rule changes have to do with hitting, although there have been A LOT of them. I used example to show how some of the changes have changed the game completely. I will say I can think of one rule that didn't hurt the game. The kickers got better so they moved the point of kickoffs back to try and get more run backs. But then they changed the rules and did away with the wedge and now that there can't be any more than 2 blockers together on kickoffs. Most rule changes do have some kind of affect on contact or to speed the game up. Not all but many or most do. About 5 or 6 years ago here a drive-in theater tried to start up again and when they first reopened they ran as the first "movie" highlights from the NFL from back in the late 50's or early 60's.. We would hear kids going ooh and wow on the hits I went with my nephew and his kids one night and his kids asked why don't they still play like that I told them that the NFL in their infinite wisdom has thought when they make changes in the rules they think they are making the game better. The oldest kid who was about 14 years old at the time said someone should tell them that they don't know what they're doing. Unfortunately the drive-in didn't make it because people didn't want to come and watch movies that were anywhere from 15-40 years old. They tried advertising it as bringing back nostalgia but the people though it just meant a drive-in and not the movies too.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Technically a pitch is a pass and there have been many pitches that actually went forward and then they pass backward to the QB again and then he throws a pass down field having two forward passes.
Huh? The play you describe never happens and would be illegal if it did. "Pitch" is another term for lateral, they go backward. The forward version of a pitch is a shovel pass.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Huh? The play you describe never happens and would be illegal if it did. "Pitch" is another term for lateral, they go backward. The forward version of a pitch is a shovel pass.

Oh so all the times there's been a forward lateral and the back mishandles it and the refs blow their whistle and waves his hands as an incomplete forward pass but if the lateral went backwards and is mishandled they let it go to see who recovers it. Another thing, there is no stats for laterals because they are CONSIDERED PASSES. If the ball voluntarily leaves the QB's hands and travels in the air it's a pass. Yes when a back is running to the line of scrimmage and the QB push passes the ball to him that is called a shuttle pass.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh so all the times there's been a forward lateral and the back mishandles it and the refs blow their whistle and waves his hands as an incomplete forward pass but if the lateral went backwards and is mishandled they let it go to see who recovers it. Another thing, there is no stats for laterals because they are CONSIDERED PASSES. If the ball voluntarily leaves the QB's hands and travels in the air it's a pass. Yes when a back is running to the line of scrimmage and the QB push passes the ball to him that is called a shuttle pass.
Wow, you don’t know the rules of football at all. I suggest you read up on them.

A lateral (backwards) is considered a handoff, not a pass. That may be the most basic thing in football.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

I was going to say the same thing. What the hell is that about? Was there even a need? How many times are 3 passes completed by the line of scrimmage?

I guess they could wrap it up as a player safety issue because the more times you have players changing directions to pursue a play, the greater risk there is for a massive block. Still though, they already penalize blocking towards one's own endzone.

Just a weird proposal and I'm not sure there was a need for it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
lol I wonder what the cost on that would be, and is it manufacture cost or retail?

Hard to imagine it would be retail. In Jerry's case, I wonder if he makes players cover the cost. He owns the rights to merch so he might just write it off.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It's in response to a play last year where Tom Brady got away with completing two forward passes on one play against the Rams. His pass was batted back, he caught it, and threw it again to Mike Evans.

Before now, that was ruled an illegal forward pass, same as if you threw one from beyond the line of scrimmage. But that's just a 5-yard penalty with no loss of down. Brady's pass came on 3rd-and-10, so the Rams had to decide between 3rd-and-15 and 4th-and-2, when it really should have been 4th and 10 or worse. Now it will come with loss of down, so it will be more like intentional grounding.

But Brady's second pass was completed beyond the line of scrimmage.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Tabled a proposal from the Buffalo Bills that would have pushed back interviews for general manager and head-coaching positions until after the championship round of the playoffs and would have prevented hires until after the Super Bowl. It will be further studied.

Another weird one. I thought this was a no-brainer. Seemed obvious to me there was a problem, and it wouldn't have really made any sort of impact. Wonder if the Coaches Association nixed it because they want coaches to be able to strike while the iron is hot. Having a stellar playoff run that ends in getting absolutely smoked would put a damper on things.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
On this day, April 23, we only have 6 more days 'til the draft gets underway.
It's just cause for celebration, good people!! Yahoo and Thank God!! :flagwave:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Brady's second pass was completed beyond the line of scrimmage.
Where a pass ends up is irrelevant to these rules. The pass was thrown from behind the line of scrimmage. Under the old rules, the penalty was "illegal forward pass," which is the same penalty you get when you cross the LOS before throwing the pass. They've changed it to be more like the penalty for intentional grounding.