NFL rules for Flexing games

Fmart322

Reaction score
I was doing some reading on how TV networks can flex games the last few weeks of the NFL season. I'm not trying to make any point here, I just want to have the information available when week 17 rolls around.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_on_television

Individual teams may make no more than four appearances on NBC during the season. Only three teams may make as many as six prime time appearances (Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, and Saturday night combined).[28] The remaining teams may make a maximum of five prime time appearances. In addition, there are no restrictions amongst intra-division games being "flexed."

The NFL did their homework well. They set the Cowboys up perfectly for an additional game to be flexed for sunday night.

#1-Week 1 vs the Giants on NBC (SNF)
#2-Week 6 vs the Commanders on NBC (SNF)
#3-Week 10 vs the Saints on NBC (SNF)

Other Nationally televised night games

#4-Week 14 vs the Bears on ESPN (MNF)

Other Nationally televised games

#5-Week 13 vs the Raiders CBS (Thanksgiving)

Now NBC could have taken either the Cowboys vs Commanders or the Cowboys vs Eagles. Since Washington blows and the Eagles are right with the Cowboys for the NFC EAST crown, they can legally grab the Cowboys vs Eagles game week 17 because the Cowboys didn't exceed the 6 nationally televised games.

*Unless they already used 6 games on 3 other NFL teams. They can't for some reason do 6 nationally televised games with 4 teams for some reason.

visionary

Reaction score
hopefully they will flex the cowboys vs skins game becasue i am hoping the cowboys vs eagles will be meaningless (we will already be in and the eagles will already have been eliminated)

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope not Ihate waiting for night games.

Me too, and I hate going to bed after midnight. If Cowboys aren't playing I rarely watch the Sunday night game unless I have Monday off.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I hear you guys, I hate late games too. Although I'll try to stay up for good games, I rarely make it. Last night I did catch a lot of the Ravens/Steelers game and I really enjoyed it. Those 2 teams always play a good game.

I hope neither game gets flexed, personally. Let them play in the early slot, like they should.

I'm gonna have to look through the schedule to see what other games will come down to the wire for playoff chances. I know SF and Arizona play the last week of the season. That game could mean a wildcard spot.

Reaction score
My hope is that we have the division locked up before the Eagles game. Then NBC can flex something else. I really don't want to go through what we went through the past 2 years.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
They won't flex the Commanders game, the Commanders will be eliminated. For week 16, they may keep what they have (NE @ Balt. rematch of AFC Championship) unless Baltimore is out of playoff contention. Indy @ KC, Chicago @ Philly, and Arizona @ Seattle are possible, but the one that stands out there is New Orleans @ Carolina. Philly @ Dallas for week 17 is very possible if we don't pull away the next few weeks. SF @ Arizona could be a huge game too.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I hope Dallas strings together a five-win streak so week 17 is meaningless, but Sunday night games are my favorite.

Lazyking

Reaction score
I live in Connecticut so I hope they flex the Eagles/Cowboys game so i don't have to watch a crappy stream.