NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 02/20/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Ricky Williams' mother, Sandy, said her son is currently in India, and she has not spoken to him. She said she feels like she has spent enough time with her son to believe he no longer smokes. "I'll bet my life he's not smoking marijuana," Sandy Williams said Sunday night. "He's so particular about what he puts in his body now. I would just be shocked. I just don't believe he's smoking weed. "I'm thinking maybe it was one of his (legal) supplements for his yoga school. I really just don't believe he's smoking weed."

The Bengals only have about $4 million to spend in free agency, which kicks off March 3. So the two or three players they add must be quality defenders. Among the possibilities are defensive tackle Larry Tripplett (Colts), safety Will Demps (Ravens), linebacker Will Witherspoon (Panthers), wide receiver Antonio Bryant (Browns) and tight end Aaron Shea (Browns).

The actual moment of truth for Chad Pennington, who is due a $3 million roster bonus on March 3 and is scheduled to count $9 million against the 2006 salary cap, will take place this week in Indianapolis, where the NFL's annual Scouting Combine takes place. Indianapolis is where all of the team executives and coaching staffs converge along with most the agents and the litany of college players who work out and interview with prospective teams.

The status of Steve McNair’s contract with the Tennessee Titans appears to be anything but a rubber stamp renegotiation at this point. Asked if he felt the quarterback would be back in Tennessee next season with a new deal, McNair’s agent James “Bus” Cook said Thursday, “I just don’t know. I really don’t know.” Titans General Manager Floyd Reese sounded a bit more optimistic, though the talks have not yet yielded a breakthough. “There’s no reason to think he won’t be here this year, unless he retires,” Reese said.

The Jets have until Thursday to place the franchise tag on DE John Abraham for the second consecutive season, and they will do that. Abraham's agents are prepared for it and Abraham himself is dismayed, no longer wanting to remain with the team. He'll likely get his wish in the end, because the Jets are almost certain to use him in a trade in and around the draft to either move up in the draft or to gain more picks.

Did You Know? Ricky Williams was the co-recipient of the annual Good Guy Award from the South Florida chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America. He shared the award with defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday for their cooperative efforts in dealing with the media this past season.

Who Knew? Three LBs have been picked No. 1 overall in the draft's history: Tommy Nobis (Falcons, 1966), Tom Cousineau (Bills, 1979) and Aundray Bruce (Falcons, 1988).

Sandra Williams said her son Ricky was in India and she was unaware that he had flunked a drug test. "I hope it's not true and that he would know better," Sandra Williams said.

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams faces at least a one-year suspension from the NFL after a fourth violation of the league's substance abuse policy. Two sources confirmed a report by a Denver TV station that Williams had violated the policy, although neither would say whether Williams had failed a drug test or if he had missed a required test, which also is a violation. The Dolphins still can collect $8.6 million from Williams for violation of his contract in 2004. The team still holds a federal court judgment against Williams from when he retired from the team.

Did You Know? In the past two years, LBs Jonathan Vilma (Jets) and Shawne Merriman (Chargers) were named Defensive Rookie of the Year.

One team Ravens LB Ray Lewis has targeted is the Chargers. He pitched his skills to some team members at the Pro Bowl in Honolulu. Said one source familiar with the situation: Nothing's going to happen, for a few reasons (Lewis is under contract to the Ravens for $5.5 million this season, and the Chargers aren't interested). Said the source: “I think it was just one of those things where the players get together and try to play general manager.”

One of the franchises Ty Law mentioned as a possible destination was the Dolphins. "There are a lot of teams interested," Law said. "Miami is talking about getting [Tennessee quarterback] Steve McNair down there. If the Dolphins get a quarterback, they're a real contender for the Super Bowl. That's what it's all about for me right now." Not exactly. While he may want to add another championship ring to the two he earned with New England, compensation will play a major role in where Law lands. Asked how much in guaranteed money he is seeking in a new contract, Law said, "I'd say around $10 million." If serious, Law should say bye-bye to the Dolphins.

Drew Brees is looking at his contract situation with logic, realizing what is reality and maintaining his focus on what he can control. “It's a business,” Brees said yesterday. “Unfortunately there's not much loyalty in this business. It's really about what have you done for me lately and how cheap can we get you.” A day after Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said the team will not place the franchise or transition tag on Brees and will allow the quarterback to leave via free agency if a long-term deal is not agreed upon soon, Brees could stand back and clearly decipher the writing on the wall. “By saying there's no way they're going to put a tag on me,” Brees said, “that's basically saying if we don't get this guy on our terms we can do without him.”

The Texans will not pursue a contract with Tim Couch. The former Browns No. 1 draft pick worked out in Houston this week. We hear that either Couch's right arm needs more time to recover from shoulder surgery or his career could be over. Previous workouts with Cincinnati and Miami were equally unimpressive. Couch has not played since the 2003 season, was cut by Green Bay in the 2004 training camp and failed a subsequent workout in Chicago before having rotator cuff surgery.

QB Tommy Maddox said he expects to be released by the Steelers and hopes to sign with another team. "I would obviously think they'll try to re-sign Charlie," Maddox said last week from his home near Dallas. "It's kind of win-win for me. It would be very exciting for me to remain in Pittsburgh. I'm very comfortable there, and my family is comfortable there. But, if it's time to move on, it's time to move on. I'm excited about the future."

DeShaun Foster came back to Charlotte last week. A longer-term arrangement could be in store. The Carolina Panthers running back spent some down time with his family in California recently, but returned here to have the cast removed from his surgically repaired right ankle, which was broken on Jan. 15 in Chicago and operated on the week after the NFC Championship Game. He's getting ready to begin his rehab at Bank of America Stadium and hopefully put down roots there. "I still think we're going to get something done," Foster said of a contract extension, which would be a step toward solving one of the team's most pressing offseason questions. Foster's agent, David Dunn, did not want to comment on the negotiations last week, and Hurney didn't shed much light either. But the fact remains, the two sides are talking, and that's not true of all the Panthers' free agents.

The New England Patriots' David Givens is only 25, but he's been on Super Bowl-winning teams, and Browns coach Romeo Crennel obviously knows him well from their days in New England. He's not flashy, but hangs on to the ball. The Patriots have emerging star receiver Deion Branch approaching free agency in a year, and they might not be willing to pay a lot to keep Givens, who made $1.4 million in 2005.

As for QB Shaun King, who did not play last season, he's working out in Orlando. The Lions have expressed interest. "I have no hard feelings toward anyone," King said. "Hopefully, it will all work out for the best."

Bill Parcells went through three kickers during the '05 season. But Parcells should find a reliable kicker in free agency. The top three are Adam Vinatieri, signed by Parcells in New England, Green Bay's Ryan Longwell and Indy's Mike Vanderjagt. The deadline for designating franchise players is Thursday. Vinatieri was tagged last year. Vanderjagt is probably done in Indy after missing the 46-yard kick that would have sent the Colts' playoff game against the Steelers into OT.

The Seahawks are in good shape with or without Shaun Alexander; most of their best players are under contract.

The Chad Pennington Era with the Jets appears to be in its final days and the Jay Cutler Era could be two months from opening. Even before they insulted Pennington with their offer to slice his pay this year from $9 million to $1 million, the Jets needed to find a new quarterback. They can't count on Pennington, not after two surgeries on his throwing shoulder less than one year apart. Where do the Jets go from here? "They have to do something dramatic," one GM said.

It's no cinch that the Vikings, who are switching to a West Coast offense, will retain tight end Jim Kleinsasser, who is scheduled to make $2.4 million next season, or wide receiver Marcus Robinson, who is scheduled to be paid $2 million.

As for Steve McNair, the Dolphins could have a shot at acquiring him, Minnesota's Daunte Culpepper or the New York Jets' Chad Pennington because of contract problems with their current teams.

The Seattle Seahawks' Joe Jurevicius. He had a great year in Seattle, making 55 catches -- most of them meaningful. Of those 55, there were 39 for first downs, 10 for touchdowns and nine of at least 20 yards. He's a Cleveland native. He'll be 32 next year. He's played in three Super Bowls. The Seahawks can't keep everyone, and Jurevicius could be left out of the free-agent sweepstakes. It's no secret the Browns really like this guy.

Steelers backup offensive tackle Trai Essex was arrested after a fight outside a South Beach night club in Miami. They don't need him to sell tickets or give them credibility in an uptight market. You hope the Seahawks offer Alexander a contract that not only pays him with the top backs in the game — $35 million for five years — but gives him the chance to run behind a great line and return to the Super Bowl. And that he takes it. early yesterday morning for disorderly conduct and resisting an officer without violence, the Miami Herald reported. Miami-Dade corrections officer Hassan Garrison also was arrested for alledgedly stabbing someone in the fight.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Hmmm...If Payton wants a shot at Romo for a 2nd or 3rd pick, we could pick up Maddox as a vet backup QB.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
David Givens would make a nice addition. Big, fast, young, would probably come cheaper than Randle-El, and most importantly skilled....

Eskimo

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Hmmm...If Payton wants a shot at Romo for a 2nd or 3rd pick, we could pick up Maddox as a vet backup QB.

If Payton wants to give us a second, I'm sure a bunch of us would volunteer to drive Romo down to New Orleans.

That'd be a heck of a deal to get for a UDFA who hasn't thrown a regular season pass in 3 years. There have always been persistent background rumour that Payton always loved Romo - more than Carter, Testaverde, Henson, Hutchinson anyways.

RedLine

Reaction score
I wonder if Pennington would come to Dallas. We could keep Drew as the starter and we would have a chance to take a look at Pennington to see if he is truly done or not. Just seems like such a waste, maybe he has just had bad luck.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Umm no Maddox blew out his elbow last year and was never the same. When they play Charlie Batch over him that tells you alot.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
trickblue said:
One of the franchises Ty Law mentioned as a possible destination was the Dolphins. "There are a lot of teams interested," Law said. "Miami is talking about getting [Tennessee quarterback] Steve McNair down there. If the Dolphins get a quarterback, they're a real contender for the Super Bowl. That's what it's all about for me right now." Not exactly. While he may want to add another championship ring to the two he earned with New England, compensation will play a major role in where Law lands. Asked how much in guaranteed money he is seeking in a new contract, Law said, "I'd say around $10 million." If serious, Law should say bye-bye to the Dolphins.

Shocking.

Not really.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
No, he's going to come cheap.

Everyone knows that.
I'm a hard sale huh?

Maybe if I hear that he'll give Parcells a screaming bargain of a deal a few hundred more times it will finally sink in.

Jay

Reaction score
If Parcells could really work his magic, my dream secondary would be Newman and Law at the corners, with Glenn nickel. Henry at FS where he had 10 picks his rookie year, and Roy at SS. But.. I know this won't happen.

But I can dream I guess. :rolleyes:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Jay said:
If Parcells could really work his magic, my dream secondary would be Newman and Law at the corners, with Glenn nickel. Henry at FS where he had 10 picks his rookie year, and Roy at SS. But.. I know this won't happen.

You don't pay a FS the kind of money that Henry is getting. Besides, we need a big tough physical person at cornerback opposite Newman. A more realistic scenario would have been Law at FS, but he's not interested in making the switch.

Less than two weeks until free agency, everybody ready?! Man I'm football starved.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Jay said:

I'm still curious where this Anthony Henry played FS his rookie year business comes from. Might have seen some time there, but he has primarily been a corner in the NFL.

Henry saw action at corner in the nickel package in his NFL debut against Seattle (9/9).

When the Browns opened in their nickel defensive package at New England (12/9), Henry earned his first NFL start and responded with six tackles. The following week he earned a start at right cornerback against Jacksonville (12/16) and matched his season-high with seven tackles, while also adding two interceptions.

He played FS for three years in college, but its not like he lined up primarily at FS his rookie year. Just curious where all these posts come from. Think it might be a common misperception.

Anyway, you don't pay quality CBs $10 million signing bonuses to play FS. Free safeties are much easier and cheaper to come by than corners.