NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 04/10/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
According to Steve McNair’s agent Bus Cook, the NFL Players Association has intentions to file a grievance against the Tennessee Titans on behalf of the quarterback, who was prohibited last week from working out at the team’s training facility until his contract situation can be resolved. “We talked with them last week about it, and they either filed it on Friday or are planning to file it Monday morning,” Cook said. “They do a good job of representing the players in matters like this.” McNair was asked to leave the Titans practice facility last Monday by trainer Brad Brown after being informed that the team could not risk him being injured at the facility and the Titans being on the hook for his entire $9 million base salary.

Agent Kevin Poston said Sunday the Dolphins remain a player in talks for three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington. However, Poston indicated the Dolphins have not come close to matching a proposal he has asked for and that teams such as Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the New York Giants remain in the running.

North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the top defensive player in the draft, is coming to Houston today to visit with the Texans. The Texans insisted Sunday they are serious about taking Williams, who is rated as a better prospect than Julius Peppers, the defensive end taken second by Carolina in 2002. The Texans are ready to start contract negotiations. Under NFL rules, they can negotiate with any players they're considering drafting with the top pick April 29. They can negotiate with Williams, Reggie Bush and Vince Young and sign one before the draft.

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer, D-New York, has added his support to Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson in his fight against the NFL over revenue sharing. "It makes it hard for small teams to survive in small cities and I want to see the Bills stay in Buffalo," Schumer told reporters on Sunday in a news conference at One Bills Drive. Schumer, who joined Gov. George Pataki and Erie County Executive Joel Giambra, as politicians who said they would lobby on Wilson's behalf, said he would speak with other senators who represent small-market NFL cities and arrange a meeting with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Schumer flew into Buffalo on Sunday to meet with Wilson and the two spoke after the Bills' final practice of a weekend mini-camp.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said the team will bring more than 30 draft- eligible players to Winter Park during the next three weeks for visits. The list includes Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler, but Childress said he didn't see Texas quarterback Vince Young on the list.

The "other" Southern California running back available in the NFL draft, LenDale White, looked like a potential top 10 pick less than three months ago, but could be slipping far enough to be in serious consideration for the Carolina Panthers with the 27th overall selection.

With a need for a running back, Peyton Manning wouldn’t mind seeing a certain D1 client fill that void. Memphis running back Deangelo Williams has spent time working out at the Cool Springs facility. “He would look excellent in a Colts uniform, but I’m afraid he might not be available where we’re drafting at No. 30. I sure hope he’s available,” Manning said. “Edgerrin James is a guy, out of respect to him, that I don’t even think you can try to replace. You just try to adjust as best you can. I think Deangelo Williams is going to be a big-time NFL back, and I’d sure love to see him playing for the Colts.”

Unlike his first three positive tests, Ricky Williams did not test positive for marijuana this time, according to three sources. According to one source, Williams tested positive for what is commonly known as an ''upper'' or amphetamine-like substance.

Sunday, a top Vikings official denied that the team has made an offer for Matt Schaub, apparently drawing a distinction between general discussions and a formal offer. "We have made no offer to trade for the player," said Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations. Brzezinski would not elaborate. Several teams have pursued Schaub this offseason, but the Falcons want a first-round pick in return. The Vikings appear set to start Brad Johnson in 2006 and draft their quarterback of the future later this month.

Defensive tackle Brentson Buckner, released by the Panthers following the season, is drawing interest from a number of teams, including Atlanta and the New York Giants. "I would love to play in Atlanta," Buckner said this week. "That would be ideal. I think that would be a perfect situation."

Saints QB Drew Brees will return to Birmingham, Ala., to continue rehabilitating his surgically repaired throwing shoulder. When practice ended Sunday, Brees stayed behind with several other injured offensive players who had not taken part in drills, such as McAllister, tight ends Ernie Conwell and Shad Meier and wide receiver Donté Stallworth and ran through a few plays. At the end of several plays, Brees lightly tossed the ball to McAllister and smiled when asked whether those soft tosses were the first he has attempted since the Jan. 5 surgery. "Well, I mean, it's nothing nobody doesn't know about," he said. "The physical therapy folks in Birmingham know exactly what I'm doing all the time. We're right on track."

Rod Marinelli and Mike Martz will get their team together for the first time Tuesday as the team opens a voluntary three-day minicamp at the team's practice facility. Nearly every player is expected to attend but some key figures aren't likely to be there: Quarterback Joey Harrington is on the verge of being traded, left tackle Jeff Backus is unsigned and not pleased with the progress of his contract negotiations and defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson is pondering retirement.

In the Saints' first five minicamp practices, with Deuce McAllister sitting out as he continues to rehabilitate his surgically repaired knee, Michael Bennett has gotten the bulk of the repetitions as the team goes through its offensive paces. And what Bennett has displayed has, at times, been eye-opening, exhibiting a burst of speed expected out of a player who won Big Ten sprint titles indoors (60 meters, 200 meters) and outdoors (100 meters, 200 meters) while competing at Wisconsin.

Any chance Bengals QB Carson Palmer will ask for his college uniform No. 3 with Jon Kitna gone? "No," Palmer said. "I'm staying with 9. It's a little too late to change it now. It might make the merchandise people upset. I'll stick with what works."

The longer the Bengals go without adding a veteran free-agent quarterback, the greater the chances are that the club will draft a QB or sign a college free agent. The rookie draft picks to keep an eye on in the mid-to-late rounds are Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst, UCLA's Drew Olson and Oregon's Kellen Clemens. All three have the ability to throw deep downfield and put pressure on a defense, which is exactly what the Bengals want.

The Texans have agreed to contract terms with veteran safety Michael Stone, who played at New England last season. Stone gives the Texans a veteran safety to replace Marcus Coleman. He'll compete with C.C. Brown and Glenn Earl for playing time.

In all likelihood, Ricky Williams will have to come back again. The Dolphins still hold an $8.6 million federal judgment against him for retiring before the 2004 season. Furthermore, Williams faces pending financial issues for the care of his three children. He pays $4,200 per month ($50,400 annually) in child support for one of the three and supports the other two generously.

Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith is not participating regularly in the Panthers' voluntary off-season conditioning program again this year. Smith, who declined comment on the subject, is working out with his personal trainer and recently caught passes from quarterback Jake Delhomme. He has said in the past that by working on his own schedule, he gets to spend more time with his family. He forfeits a $100,000 workout bonus but has said the extra family time makes it worth it.

At 26 and preparing to enter his third N.F.L. season, Drew Henson is still young enough to enjoy a long career as a starter. But his prospects in Dallas are murky. Coach Bill Parcells has preferred veteran quarterbacks, and Drew Bledsoe is entrenched as the starter. The Cowboys also like Tony Romo, the No. 2 quarterback. Henson says he misses baseball and the relationships with teammates that it fosters. He misses hitting and says he has not swung a bat since his last game. But Henson said he had learned something important from his baseball odyssey. "To work on things I can work on right now and not to put any timetable on it," he said. "When I made my decision, it was what I felt at that time. This is the path I chose."

Drew Henson says he is certain he would make the same career choices again, including the failed quest for baseball greatness. "I realize what could have happened if I'd chosen something else," Henson said in a telephone interview from Dusseldorf, Germany, where the Fire is based. "I believe things happen for a reason. When I was 20 years old, I knew I wanted to be a baseball player. When I was 24, I knew I wanted to be a quarterback. You'd be crazy not to say you wanted that. "Someday, when all is said and done, I'll have some story."

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Man Brad Johnson has gotten NO respect his entire career!

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I would hope so. He's a perfect fit for the Colts.

According to Peyton, and the 30th pick in the 1st and 2nd would be a perfect fit for us:D

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Drew Henson says he is certain he would make the same career choices again, including the failed quest for baseball greatness. "I realize what could have happened if I'd chosen something else," Henson said in a telephone interview from Dusseldorf, Germany, where the Fire is based. "I believe things happen for a reason. When I was 20 years old, I knew I wanted to be a baseball player. When I was 24, I knew I wanted to be a quarterback. You'd be crazy not to say you wanted that. "Someday, when all is said and done, I'll have some story."

:shootme: What did he say? So when he's 28 and wants to grow up, what's he going to be?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:
According to Peyton, and the 30th pick in the 1st and 2nd would be a perfect fit for us:D

I'd rather heist, er, get a 3rd or 4th in 2006 and a 1st in 2007.
I think if any team is willing to part with a high No. 1 next year, it's the Colts.
They have got to get a running back to replace Edge, and their window of opportunity isn't that wide with all their salary cap money tied up in Wayne, Harrison and Peyton.

Besides, their No. 1 next year is going to be like a high second rounder assuming they have as good a year as they did last year.

I hope we steal, er, acquire the Colts #30 and a pick this year and their No. 1 next year. :D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
At 26 and preparing to enter his third N.F.L. season, Drew Henson is still young enough to enjoy a long career as a starter. But his prospects in Dallas are murky. Coach Bill Parcells has preferred veteran quarterbacks, and Drew Bledsoe is entrenched as the starter. The Cowboys also like Tony Romo, the No. 2 quarterback. Henson says he misses baseball and the relationships with teammates that it fosters. He misses hitting and says he has not swung a bat since his last game. But Henson said he had learned something important from his baseball odyssey. "To work on things I can work on right now and not to put any timetable on it," he said. "When I made my decision, it was what I felt at that time. This is the path I chose."

So do most coaches - prefer veterans that is.

Why do people make Parcells unique in this regard? And don't they remember that he started a rookie named Bledsoe when he coached the Patriots?

Henson will start when he's ready. I really don't think it has anything to do with Parcells preferring a veteran. Bledsoe is just better at this point in either QBs' career.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Bah, I call BS on the Henson comments. I still agree with Parcells' statement along the lines of: "If he was hitting .300, he'd still be in baseball."

It's okay to admit you're trying one sport because you failed at the other. Henson's critics will take cheapshots at him because of it, but a lot of those fellas at that level are straight up athletes, not just football players, and could make money in several pro sports if they had the time and capable body.