NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 04/13/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
John Madden said he would not be surprised if the Green Bay Packers quarterback was traded. Madden made his comments about Favre Tuesday night on the "NFL Total Access" show on NFL TV during an interview with Rich Eisen and Rod Woodson. "I don't know if it has to be in Green Bay," Madden said, referring to Favre returning to play in the National Football League for his 16th season. "It just sounds like to me that if he's going to play - and again I haven't talked to him, I've just listened to him - it sounds like he may be setting himself up to be traded," Madden said. "He would probably want to play, but he wants to play with a team that has a chance to win. The Packers really don't look like they are going in that direction right now, so maybe he's talking about another team."

Ty Law has been having discussions directly with coach Bill Belichick on a possible return to the Patriots, according to Law's agent, Carl Poston, but the Patriots have not yet talked money. ''The talks have been on the level of Ty and Bill and nothing else," Poston said. ''It's been more of a feeling-out process. As I receive some offers on Ty, I'll present them to the Patriots and see what they think and what they can do." Poston said he was expecting an offer for Law from the Seattle Seahawks last night and that Law is also waiting to hear from the Tennessee Titans on a possible visit.

Two players were in Chicago Wednesday night. One was Ricky Manning Jr., a restricted free agent from the Carolina Panthers who would cost the Bears only a third-round pick and would fill the immediate need for a nickel cornerback. The other was UCLA's Marcedes Lewis, believed to be at the top of their list at tight end. Manning, 26, is the most interesting possibility because he is a perfect fit in what the Bears are seeking in a nickel corner and would give general manager Jerry Angelo extra flexibility with the 26th pick in the first round. Manning was at Halas Hall on Wednesday, a player said, and it is believed the team will try to sign him to an offer sheet soon.

There was no progress in the Dolphins backup quarterback search. Jamie Martin visited Seattle, but agent Tom Mills said options are still open. The Dolphins and Bengals are interested as well. David Dunn represents Joey Harrington, but a spokesman declined to comment.

The Bucs are one of two suitors for cornerback Charles Woodson. Green Bay is the other. The Bucs could move Woodson to safety if he comes to Tampa.

As expected, the Jets have bolstered their offensive line, signing unrestricted free-agent center Trey Teague yesterday, the club announced. Teague, formerly of the Buffalo Bills, signed a two-year deal and financial terms were unavailable. ... The Jets still need a starting offensive tackle and could select Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the fourth overall pick in the draft later this month if he's still on the board.

The Cardinals are interested in signing veteran receiver Az-Zahir Hakim, but a deal might not be reached until after the April 29-30 NFL draft. An unrestricted free agent, Hakim would like to sign now, said his agent, Chuck Price, who is negotiating with John Idzik, the Cardinals senior director of football operations. "The biggest issue is the timing of it," Price said.

Reggie Bush all but has been fitted with a Houston Texans jersey, but since nothing is guaranteed in the NFL draft, the Jets are setting up a visit next week with the Heisman Trophy winner. The Jets have the fourth pick on April 29 and unless they can somehow entice the Texans to give up on the USC tailback, they have no shot at him. The Jets have the 29th and/or 35th picks as bait, but just one of those selections probably wouldn't be enough. It's not likely they would be willing to trade both, and there's no chance Bush will fall to No. 4. Bush's agent, Joel Segal, said he spoke to the Jets on Tuesday and again yesterday and they were working on finalizing a date for Bush's visit to the Jets' facility at Hofstra.

With Richard Seymour signed, the Patriots’ next longterm target will be wide receiver Deion Branch, who’s also due to become a free agent after this season.

The Titans’ visits with the top prospects in the draft continues today as North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams arrives. Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk is scheduled for Friday, and Reggie Bush should arrive sometime next week.

Pro Bowlers Warrick Dunn and Keith Brooking have re-worked their contracts to allow the Falcons more flexibility under the NFL's $102 million salary cap, both players' agents confirmed Wednesday. Dunn signed a one-year contract extension — through the 2008 season — and turned future earnings into a $2.5 million signing bonus. Per league rules, the salary-cap charge for signing bonuses is prorated over the term of the deal. Brooking, who last season made his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl appearance, turned $2.7 million of this season's base salary into a signing bonus.

Ron Dayne isn't sure he has a leg up in the race to become the next starting running back for the Denver Broncos. But even before arriving this month for the team's off-season conditioning program, he was doing enough squats, leg presses and lunges to make sure it wasn't much of a stretch should that scenario play out. "You can't run without your legs, so I work hardest on them," he said. "Even when I'm tired, I'm going to get a workout on my legs."

If Vince Young can’t play for his hometown Texans, well, wearing the two-tone blue of the Tennessee Titans will do just fine, thank you. If Young lands with the Titans, who have the No. 3 overall pick, he would get the opportunity to face the Texans twice a year, and the competitor-side of the University of Texas star would likely not only take over, but escalate to another level altogether. Young and his agent, Major Adams, both said as much in a interview with 104.5 The Zone Wednesday as the two were wrapping up Young’s visit to Baptist Sports Park with Titans coaches, players and team officials. Adams said Young would love to land in Nashville, a city he is already familiar with thanks to his friendship with current Titans quarterback Steve McNair. “If the Texans don’t draft him, I think he would love to come here and play for the Titans and show them that they made the right choice and that the Texans made the wrong choice,” Adams said. “He will be up and be ready. He loves this city because he visits all the time with Steve McNair. They embraced him when he got here.”

According to several sources, the Cowboys are leaning toward matching the two-year restricted free-agent offer sheet Keith Davis signed with the New Orleans Saints. The two-year deal calls for Davis to make roughly $2.1 million in the 2006 season, including a $1.2 million roster bonus. The Cowboys have until Monday to make a decision. If they don't match the offer, they will receive no compensation because Davis signed as an undrafted free agent in 2002.

Former Raiders coach John Madden, in an interview Tuesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" show, said he wants Raiders managing general partner Al Davis to introduce him at his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 5. Madden introduced Davis when he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1992.

The Raiders signed veteran defensive end Lance Johnstone to a two-year contract Wednesday. Johnstone, 32, spent the past five seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, but he reportedly spurned their offer in favor of rejoining the team that drafted him in 1996. Johnstone is expected to team with reigning NFL sack leader Derrick Burgess on obvious passing downs. Burgess recorded 16 sacks last season.

The draft increasingly seems like the biggest possibility for the Chargers to bolster that position. Florida State's Antonio Cromartie and Tennessee's Jason Allen have been brought in for visits to the Chargers' facility.

The Chargers and San Francisco 49ers came to an agreement yesterday in which they would rid each other of first-round disappointments. The Chargers sent cornerback Sammy Davis to the Bay Area and got receiver Rashaun Woods in return. “Sometimes a change of scenery is good,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “Sammy has struggled a little bit, and Rashaun Woods had not been healthy and hadn't got out of the gate. We're looking for some wide receivers always and really, really liked this guy a lot coming out of college. But he hasn't made his mark in the National Football League.” The two players were drafted one year and one spot apart – Davis as the 30th pick overall in 2003 and Woods as the 31st in '04.

Brian Levy, the agent for free-agent QB Jay Fiedler, said his client recently took a physical in New York conducted by a Giants team physician. The former Dolphin and Jet is recovering from shoulder surgery. "They were pleased with the results," Levy said. "He won't be throwing for another 4-5 weeks, so we are in no rush."

Southern Cal offensive tackle Winston Justice said he thinks he's better than Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the OT experts project as the top offensive lineman in this year's draft, scheduled for April 29-30. Well, it turns out that the Eagles' group of visiting prospects included both Ferguson and Justice, a source close to the situation said, something Justice presumably knew when he spoke to a reporter Tuesday night, since the group had already met for dinner with the Birds' brass. Obviously, the Eagles probably would have to trade up to draft Ferguson, and given how well Justice did at the USC pro day, there has been speculation that he, too, might not last until the 14th selection.

The Pats now have their two cornerstones on each side of the ball locked up for the rest of the decade: Quarterback Tom Brady, 28, and Richard Seymour, 26, are both signed through 2010.

Receiver Deion Branch could be next to hit pay dirt, as the Pats’ No. 1 receiver is slated to become an unrestricted free agent after 2006. Center Dan Koppen, whose future has some uncertainly after suffering a torn rotator cuff last season, also has just one year left on his rookie deal. Both will have to get paid if they are to remain in New England, but you can bet the Pats won’t stretch themselves for either player.

The Falcons may not have to look far to find a quarterback to round out the depth chart next season. Thursday, the team will bring in a pair of former Atlanta high school stars — Georgia's D.J. Shockley and Alabama-Birmingham's Darrell Hackney — for pre-draft workouts. Matt Schaub and Bryan Randall are the current backups to Pro Bowler Michael Vick, but the Falcons plan to sign another young quarterback, either in the late rounds of the April 29-30 NFL draft or through free agency, president and general manager Rich McKay said Wednesday. Shockley and Hackney headline a group of players with local ties, including Georgia Tech receiver Demarius Bilbo, who'll audition for the Falcons Thursday.

There is disagreement among scouts and front-office personnel over which quarterback will make the best pro — Matt Leinart, Vince Young or Jay Cutler. The New Orleans Saints, picking No. 2, are willing to make a deal, no longer needing a quarterback after acquiring Drew Brees.

Michael Grieco resigned as lead prosecutor from the case after attorneys for Commanders safety Sean Taylor alleged Grieco was using the case to promote his side job as a disc jockey. Attorney Richard Sharpstein said Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Mary Barzee could opt to rule on the motion for dismissal at an unrelated pretrial hearing set for May 3 or schedule another hearing. Barzee recently rejected a prior motion by the defense to dismiss for prosecutorial misconduct.​

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
According to several sources, the Cowboys are leaning toward matching the two-year restricted free-agent offer sheet Keith Davis signed with the New Orleans Saints. The two-year deal calls for Davis to make roughly $2.1 million in the 2006 season, including a $1.2 million roster bonus. The Cowboys have until Monday to make a decision. If they don't match the offer, they will receive no compensation because Davis signed as an undrafted free agent in 2002.
Can't say I'm happy about this and its not about the money either. I was hoping Davis's absence would force us to take a FS in the first two rounds.

TheHustler

Reaction score
theogt said:
Can't say I'm happy about this and its not about the money either. I was hoping Davis's absence would force us to take a FS in the first two rounds.

Davis's prescence doesn't preclude us from taking a safety early, as long as it's not a reach

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Davis's prescence doesn't preclude us from taking a safety early, as long as it's not a reach
Actually it does. With Davis, according to JJs own words we're not taking a FS in the first two rounds. Without Davis who knows.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Then if we let go of Davis, and now we have a rookie, FS starting in our sEcondary. how much better would that be. I'd rather we keep davis draft a FS in the later rounds. Instead investing our hopes in a high draft pick.
I want us to be able to pick the BPA, not pick because we need a FS

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:

Jerry has said twice already, more recently a couple of days ago, that we won't be taking a S in the 1st 2 rounds, maybe a CB and move him to FS, so I doubt Davis' precence has any bearing on what they do at FS, but Dallas doesn't want to lose the depth and special teams force Davis brings to the table, and might be sending a message to Payton that he can't take whoever he wants from Dallas