NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 04/20/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The Giants are back in the LaVar Arrington chase, and this time it appears the ex-Commanders linebacker may be serious about striking a deal. Arrington will arrive in town for his second visit with the team this morning, according to an associate of his agent, and has even agreed to undergo a physical - something he declined to do when he first visited the Giants on March 11-12. That's an important concession for the 27-year-old free agent because of league-wide concerns about the health of his surgically repaired right knee.

Word in Atlanta is that the Falcons are holding out for a first-round draft pick for backup quarterback Matt Schaub, whom the Vikings would like. It wouldn't be surprising if the Vikings offer one of their second-round picks for Schaub, 24, or offer their first-round pick in the 2007 draft.

After almost two months of effort, the Bengals have their backup quarterback. Anthony Wright, who has 19 NFL starts in 24 games over seven seasons, will sign a one-year contract as early as today, agent Joel Segal told The Enquirer Wednesday night. "One-year deal, agreed in principle," Segal said. "He could sign it (today)."

The Jets are smitten with Reggie Bush, but will not call the Texans about moving up to the top spot to get him, even with Houston willing to listen to trade offers. There is also the possibility that the Texans will take defensive end Mario Williams at No. 1. There's even a slim chance Bush could fall to the Jets at No. 4. The smoke screens make the air pretty cloudy over the 32 team headquarters so close to the April 29-30 draft, but last night Texans GM Charley Casserly insisted that Houston has not decided between the dynamic Bush, who can score from anywhere on the field, or Williams, the 6-7 pass rusher from North Carolina State, given a higher grade by the Texans than Julius Peppers in 2002. Casserly said he hasn't received any offers for the No.1 pick. "It doesn't mean we won't," he said. "We are open to offers." Casserly confirmed he has not heard from the Jets, who were very impressed with Bush when they met with him Tuesday in Los Angeles. The Jets have no desire to move up and apparently have no desire to take a quarterback that high.

Texas quarterback Vince Young, the dazzling playmaker to whom the Raiders paid particular attention during the NFL Scouting Combine in February, met with team officials in Alameda Wednesday, his agent confirmed. His Longhorns teammate, cornerback/safety Michael Huff, also visited the Raiders' facility Wednesday. USC quarterback Matt Leinart is expected to visit the team Friday, his agent confirmed. Already, the Raiders have brought in San Diego State inside linebacker Freddy Keiaho and Jackson State offensive tackle Albert Stinson for individual visits and workouts.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports there is a chance that former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper's rebuilt knee could keep him out the entire regular season with the Miami Dolphins.

The NFL draft notwithstanding, how the Denver Broncos ultimately address their receiving position figures to be most intriguing. The Broncos are considered thin behind starters Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie, and now even that delicate balance has been thrown into question. Lelie has kept a low profile since meeting with coach Mike Shanahan at the Pro Bowl in February and voicing his displeasure about the franchise's flirtation with then-free agent Terrell Owens. The session apparently did little to ease Lelie's mind, given his absence from the team's off-season strength and conditioning program. He instead is working out in Phoenix. And now, because of Lelie's decision to train elsewhere, the displeasure appears to be mutual. ... One name that has been linked to the Broncos is disgruntled Green Bay Packers receiver Javon Walker, who twice has requested to be dealt.

As part of their draft preparation, the 49ers will bring in eight likely first-round picks for visits between now and the draft. They are Mario Williams (DE, North Carolina State), Vernon Davis (TE, Maryland), D'Brickashaw Ferguson (T, Virginia), Michael Huff (DB, Texas), Haloti Ngata (DT, Oregon), Tye Hill (CB, Clemson), Jimmy Williams (DB, Virginia Tech) and Ernie Sims (LB, Florida State).

In other news, former Titans running back Eddie George said he believes the team will release quarterback Steve McNair. "Once [owner] Bud Adams makes a decision about you, his mind is made up," George told the NFL Network. The Ravens are expected to pursue McNair if he is cut by the Titans.

New Orleans has the second pick in the draft. Only Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, a running back from Southern California who was invited but had scheduling conflicts, did not attend the Saints' group and individual meetings. Attending an informal gathering Tuesday night at a local hotel were North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, Maryland tight end Vernon Davis, Virginia tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk. Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2004, did not arrive in New Orleans until midday Wednesday, and was scheduled to meet with the coaching staff the rest of the afternoon and evening. He is scheduled to fly to Oakland, Calif., this morning to visit with the Raiders.

That could start talk that the Patriots are interested in making multiple trades to get into the top 10 to draft a particular player (Ohio State LB A.J. Hawk and Texas defensive back Michael Huff should be picked in the second half of the top 10). More likely, though, if the Patriots like Iowa linebacker Chad Greenway or Florida State defensive end Kamerion Wimbley, moving up a few spots could do the trick. Or they could wait for Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter, who should be on the board at 21.

The Lions decided not to retain Joey Harrington but still control his rights, which has led the team to seek a trade from several suitors. The Dolphins are offering a sixth-round pick in 2007, a source said. Another source close to Harrington said the Lions are expected to accept the offer, with the deal becoming final before next week's draft. "I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed," Harrington said in a statement released Wednesday night. "The Dolphins are an ascending team with great coaching, and I can't wait to get started." ... In his time in Detroit, he started 55 games, throwing 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions. He completed 54.7 percent of his passes for 10,242 yards. His average quarterback rating was 68.1, considered low for a starter.

Apparently unwilling to accept the risk of having wide receiver Terrence Murphy play football with a serious neck condition, the Green Bay Packers are on the verge of announcing that they are parting ways with the 2005 second-round pick. Two National Football League sources said Wednesday night that the Packers were set to move on without Murphy and were discussing with his representatives how to best handle his release.

The Commanders wanted to know more about Jai Lewis, the Patriots' 6-foot-5, 290-pound senior center, who has not played football since high school but has designs on the N.F.L. Lewis has been working with a personal trainer for less than a week; the start was delayed by the Patriots' surprising run in the N.C.A.A. tournament and Lewis's trip to an N.B.A. predraft camp. Representatives from the Giants, the Jets, the Steelers, the Dolphins, the Commanders, the Eagles and the Buccaneers are scheduled to attend Lewis's workout Thursday, according to his agent, Jeff Jankovich.

If the Vikings choose a wide receiver in the draft, Marcus Robinson's days in Minnesota would seem numbered.

Scouts like USC's Winston Justice, but his history of injuries on legal problems in college could scare off potential suitors. Auburn's Marcus McNeill, meanwhile, also is drawing red flags for his weight fluctuations and troubles with stamina.

South Carolina free safety Ko Simpson is scheduled to visit the Ravens this week. Making seven interceptions in two seasons, he is considered a second- or third-round pick. The Ravens enter the draft without a starting free safety.

Given the three major defections, the Patriots will presumably be in the market for a linebacker, wide receiver and a kicker to battle Martin Gramatica in training camp. Bill Belichick stressed those needs would not keep the team from drafting the best player available.

Addressing Adam Vinatieri’s departure directly yesterday for the first time, Bill Belichick said he’s focused on improving the Patriots and not bemoaning the departed. “We’ve had players come. We’ve had players go,” Belichick said when questioned about Vinatieri during his annual predraft press conference. “That’s the way it is. In terms of individual negotiations and all of that, I think it’s a lot longer story. Is it worth telling? It doesn’t make any difference. He’s not here.”

The Patriots should have plenty to choose from when the draft is held April 29-30. From traditional linebackers like Ohio State’s A.J. Hawk and Florida State’s Ernie Sims to converted defensive ends like Florida State’s Kamerion Wimbley and North Carolina State’s Manny Lawson, the Pats will have options.

For the second time in a week, Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones’ name has been mentioned in connection with a Metro Police investigation. Early Wednesday morning, just before 2 a.m., Jones was a witness to an altercation at a gas station located at the corner of 12th and Wedgewood avenues where shots were fired. Police say they do not believe Jones was involved in the firing of the shots after questioning him around midday as a witness to the incident. Agent Michael Huyghue dismissed the latest incident as another attempt by some to magnify any connection or involvement with Jones anytime his name comes up in regards to legal incidents. “In the world where he lives in, crimes are committed on a daily basis,” Huyghue said. “People in all walks of life are sometimes in areas or around people where crimes are committed, and just because Pac might be there, it doesn’t mean he is involved in anyway. “There’s lots of baggage involved with him and his name, and when something happens where his name is somehow connected, it is convenient to take the focus off what really happened and place the focus on him.”

As the Metrodome's managers look at the future, their analysis suggests that the 24-year-old downtown Minneapolis stadium could survive the departure of the Gophers and the Twins. But the Vikings' exit would likely prove fatal.

Memphis' DeAngelo Williams, USC's LenDale White and Minnesota's Laurence Maroney likely will be selected before the second round begins.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Apparently unwilling to accept the risk of having wide receiver Terrence Murphy play football with a serious neck condition, the Green Bay Packers are on the verge of announcing that they are parting ways with the 2005 second-round pick. Two National Football League sources said Wednesday night that the Packers were set to move on without Murphy and were discussing with his representatives how to best handle his release.

Sorry to hear this BS....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarv said:
Sorry to hear this BS....
yeah...especially since she said he was doing well with his recovery...

This is also why they're prolly not willing to give up on Javon Walker.

ravidubey

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Auburn's Marcus McNeill, meanwhile, also is drawing red flags for his weight fluctuations and troubles with stamina.[/URL]
If he free falls, he'd be a solid value with our second pick-- especially if the three power OG's are off the board.

Thanks again, Trick!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
If he free falls, he'd be a solid value with our second pick-- especially if the three power OG's are off the board.

Thanks again, Trick!

If he's there in the second, he's a must pick...

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Bill Bellichick said in today's paper "most of the guys who have played linebacker in college, to play linebacker (in the pats 3-4) are really going to have to play inside, and most of the guys that play outside, most of them in our system are guys that have played down or played defensive end". He also added "we have quite a bit of flexibility in the draft from a draft strategy standpoint. This year we have an extra third and an extra 4th from last year's trades. Those extra mid round picks in a full draft does certainly give you flexibility to move up in rounds."

With the departure of McGinest, I translate the above to NE being a serious threat to jumping ahead of us to draft Wimbley or Lawson. With both Cleveland and Miami rumored to be interested in Wimbley already, we could end up having to settle for Carpenter, who may end up being better suited to playing inside than outside. If both Wimbley and Lawson are gone I'd look to move down and if someone else grabs Carpenter so be it.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Scouts like USC's Winston Justice, but his history of injuries on legal problems in college could scare off potential suitors. Auburn's Marcus McNeill, meanwhile, also is drawing red flags for his weight fluctuations and troubles with stamina.

Justice is starting to scare me. Brings back too many memories of Jacob Rogers.
Also, McNeil looks to be more of a 2nd rounder now. But, I think there's better options there than him.

The Patriots should have plenty to choose from when the draft is held April 29-30. From traditional linebackers like Ohio State’s A.J. Hawk and Florida State’s Ernie Sims to converted defensive ends like Florida State’s Kamerion Wimbley and North Carolina State’s Manny Lawson, the Pats will have options.

I think they got their OSU LB's mixed up. They obviously mean Bobby Carpenter. Hawk will go in the top 5.

MrPhil

Reaction score
With all this talk of the 3-4 OLB types potentially going earlier thatn everyone thought, it makes me wonder who is going to drop. Will it be a DT like Ngata or a S like Williams or both?

Will we even see one of Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter at #18?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Bill Bellichick said in today's paper "most of the guys who have played linebacker in college, to play linebacker (in the pats 3-4) are really going to have to play inside, and most of the guys that play outside, most of them in our system are guys that have played down or played defensive end". He also added "we have quite a bit of flexibility in the draft from a draft strategy standpoint. This year we have an extra third and an extra 4th from last year's trades. Those extra mid round picks in a full draft does certainly give you flexibility to move up in rounds."

With the departure of McGinest, I translate the above to NE being a serious threat to jumping ahead of us to draft Wimbley or Lawson. With both Cleveland and Miami rumored to be interested in Wimbley already, we could end up having to settle for Carpenter, who may end up being better suited to playing inside than outside. If both Wimbley and Lawson are gone I'd look to move down and if someone else grabs Carpenter so be it.

This is what I've been worrying about for a few days now. I don't want us to sit there at 18 with our thumb up our butt if we really like Lawson or Wimbley.

If there is one guy who we really like, say Wimbley, then we need to use a little ammo and move up to get the guy before someone takes him. That's only IF we really, really like one of the OLB's.

We got eight free agents... eight. We already have quite a bit of new talent coming in to the team... we can afford to lose a mid round pick and a later one or two. With our team getting as talented as it is... it will be hard for a mid to later round pick to make the team anyway. Much less crack the lineup. JMO, of course, and probably not a popular one... but I don't want to be sitting there with all the good LB's off the board.

Just like watching Gonzales be taken by KC and us setteling on LaFluer. Watching McGuinest be taken and setteling for Shante Carver. I really don't want to see that happen.

lspain1

Reaction score
Interesting prediction about Carpenter still being on the board at 21.

metalichris

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
That ATL QB is a pretty good talent...but a #1?

The game I saw him in, he destroyed the Patriots defense. I would have no problem giving a second for him. I think he can be a starter and a good one at that. #1 seems fair, but I don't think I would give it up cause we have other needs.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
metalichris said:
The game I saw him in, he destroyed the Patriots defense. I would have no problem giving a second for him. I think he can be a starter and a good one at that. #1 seems fair, but I don't think I would give it up cause we have other needs.

I agree, no need in giving up valuable picks like that when we'll need every pick we have to address current needs.