NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 05/08/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The Dolphins and the Detroit Lions have been in discussions during the weekend that could result in quarterback Joey Harrington being traded to the team in time to begin organized training activities in Miami by May 15, according to two sources. The Dolphins had pulled an offer of a 2007 sixth-round pick for Harrington off the table earlier this week after Lions president Matt Millen wrongly complained that the Dolphins had violated the collective bargaining agreement in reaching a restructured contract with Harrington.

Multiple Internet reports indicate that the Colts have invited former Cleveland Browns signal caller Tim Couch in for a visit sometime this week. Couch has bounced around the league since being the Browns’ number one draft pick in 1999. A shoulder injury has kept the former Kentucky quarterback from signing with another NFL team. Under former Cleveland coach Butch Davis, the Browns ran the same offense that the Colts have employed since 1998. “Tim Couch, that’s a good name for us. He’s a guy who knows what we do, he’s familiar with what we do, he’s a good player, coach Tony Dungy said. "I don’t know where he is, what his thought process is. We’ve talked about him and discussed it. But I’ve not talked to Tim Couch. I don’t know if we’ve had conversations with his agent. But depending on what he’s looking for, that would certainly be a name for us that we’d be interested in."

Ty Law's appreciation of coach Herman Edwards approach might be the biggest recruiting tool the Chiefs have in their attempts to secure Law for their left cornerback spot. Law's salary demands, however, remain the biggest stumbling block.

The Detroit Lions wrapped up a three-day rookie minicamp on Sunday, but the most significant issue involving personnel is the possible return of veteran wide receiver Az Hakim. Hakim, who played with the Lions from 2002-04, visited with the team over the weekend. If he signs a contract, it could push former first-round draft picks Charles Rogers and Mike Williams even further down the depth chart. The Lions say no signing is imminent, but talks are continuing.

Lions offensive tackle Jeff Backus and his agent, Patrick Dye, are scheduled to meet with Matt Millen, chief operating officer Tom Lewand and coach Rod Marinelli to discuss the contract stalemate. Millen indicated he wanted to sign Backus to a multiyear deal. "I know I'd like to get something done as fast as we can," he said. "I'd like to have Jeff signed and in camp."

One of the more curious new faces in Raiders camp belongs to that of running back Rod Smart. He faces long odds of making the 53-man, opening-day roster, yet everyone knows who he is. Such is the enduring effects from an innocent move Smart made when he was an unknown player for the Las Vegas Outlaws in the now-defunct XFL. He showed up for a game one day in 2001 with the words "He Hate Me" on the back of his jersey. Smart, 29, is a capable kick returner and special teams player. The Raiders always are on the lookout for someone with Smart's versatility and special teams skills.

While reports have current quarterback Steve McNair already bound for Baltimore, Jeff Fisher admits he is hoping the Titans can salvage something and keep McNair in Tennessee for this season. McNair has been prohibited from the practice facility since April 3 because of the injury risk associated with his $23.46 million cap figure. A grievance hearing has been scheduled for May 16 on the matter. Asked about his desire to keep McNair, Fisher said, “If we want to win, yeah. I mean, I think he gives us the best chance to win early, and so it makes all kinds of sense to me.”

Don't look for the Packers to add a veteran offensive lineman. They recently worked out a familiar face, former Packer Ross Verba, and have discussed former Saint guard Kendyl Jacox. Verba, 32, sat out last season after being waived by Cleveland on June 9. He demanded more money. When the Browns wouldn't deliver, they cut him. "We had him in for a visit," Thompson said. "I won't get into it other than to say he looked fine."

Dolphins QB Marcus Vick did not take any snaps at quarterback, but worked out at wide receiver Sunday.

Two of Aaron Rodgers' new coaches were impressed by how he performed in the Green Bay Packers' three-day, four-practice minicamp that concluded Sunday morning. "I was really pleased with Aaron," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "Absolutely. His arm strength. The way he got that thing out. And his deep ball was good. "He's got it. He just needs a chance to do it." ... "I think Aaron Rodgers is having an excellent minicamp," Mike McCarthy said late Saturday. "Statistically, big-play opportunities, controlling the huddle, managing the offense."

Dolphins coach Nick Saban said he was unaware of whether general manager Randy Mueller had received interest from St. Louis for a similar job there that would give Mueller final say over personnel.

Nose tackle Grady Jackson and safety Todd Franz remain on the Packers' list of unrestricted free agents but GM Ted Thompson said there were no plans to re-sign either player.

No way were the Bengals going to pull off a sign-and-trade with wide receiver Kelley Washington. He's too valuable now that Chris Henry's future is as murky and muddy as Cincinnati's Mill Creek. Henry, whose off-the-field problems are well-documented, could face a suspension from the league office. Washington is needed for insurance purposes. After signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent, Washington will play the role of good soldier this fall, then bolt — faster than a speeding bullet — when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next spring.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he "absolutely" expects safety Mark Roman to attend the next minicamp, but Roman said he still hasn't talked to Ted Thompson and isn't sure if he'll show up. "We'll see," he said.

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers on Fox GameTime Sunday with Sean Farnham and Kevin Kennedy talking about replacing Brett Favre eventually:
“Well I’m definitely embracing the challenge. You can never replace a legend but at the same time, the expectations in Green Bay are so high, I really relish the opportunity to meet and surpass any expectations people put on me. I’m not going to try to be Brett Favre, I’m going to be myself, and I feel I can definitely be effective in this league and hopefully the fans will embrace me like they embrace Brett and we’ll be able to win some games around here.”

The Bucs are still in the market for a safety to back up Jermaine Phillips and Will Allen. One the Bucs are high on is Steve Cargile, who spent last season on the Cowboys practice squad.

When Edgerrin James was deciding to come to Arizona, he did some research on the Cardinals line and watched tape of every game. As an unrestricted free agent, money was important in making his decision, but so was the opportunity to continue the success he enjoyed in Indianapolis. "I watched everything," he said, "all 16 games. They (the offensive linemen) have a lot of upside. "Yeah, there were a lot of mental errors, but when you have injuries, not everybody is on the same page. You can't get in sync."

Larry Allen appears too heavy. On a drill calling for him to bounce on his feet late in practice, Allen didn't move at all. But the 49ers seem unconcerned. Allen has a reputation for downsizing to his proper playing weight in time for the regular season.

49ers QB Alex Smith is pleased teams now can use their own footballs even during road games. Previously, the home team selected the balls put into play. Smith had fumbling problems last year on the road. Some teams use balls straight from the box. 49ers equipment manager Steve Urbaniak removes a new football's waxy feel by rubbing it with grass and a damp towel.

While Vince Young found his No. 10 with Texas available with the Titans, LenDale White wasn’t so lucky. His college number, 21, is worn by second-year cornerback Reynaldo Hill. White was assigned No. 25, but says he might bargain with Hill for his old number. “I’ll probably try to buy it from him. I like No. 21 a lot. Maybe we can negotiate,” White said. Will he be the one to open the talks, “I don’t want to just throw a [dollar] number out there. He’s liable to knock me upside the head or something.”

Despite requests, Dolphins coach Nick Saban didn't make any of the 43 unsigned players available to the media, meaning Marcus Vick and tackle Kyle Turley left without a contract or comments. Turley, 30, the seventh selection in the 1998 draft, hasn't played in the NFL in the past two years because of back problems. Now 260 pounds -- 40 pounds lighter than when he played for the Saints and Rams -- Turley is attempting a comeback at tight end.

Who Knew? In the last five NFL drafts, 11 of the 50 top-10 picks were defensive backs (22 percent).

Agent Leigh Steinberg said no resolution has yet to be worked out between the team and running back Ricky Williams about the chance for Williams to play football in Toronto. However, a decision could be reached by today. Said Steinberg: ``We continue to seek a consensus decision on the matter.''

Stanford rookie defensive tackle Julian Jenkins said he was inspired by being assigned No.99 for the minicamp. "I don't know if he'll wear 99," Bucs coach Jon Gruden said. "I'm going to be pretty selective whoever I give that number to. If I get married again, (Warren Sapp ) will be my best man. I love that guy."

Maybe the Browns do have a mentor for their young quarterbacks. His name is Bernie Kosar, and he's reportedly been spending more time with the team lately. He and Ken Dorsey are friends, sharing a University of Miami connection. Last year, Kosar took Frye under his wing.

Dolphins defensive end Rodrique Wright, a seventh-round draft pick in this year's draft, will undergo surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff as early as today, agent Ben Dogra said Sunday evening. Team physician George Caldwell is expected to perform the surgery. Wright's draft stock slipped considerably when NFL teams discovered the injury, which Wright unknowingly played with during his senior season as Texas. Although seemingly unlikely considering the necessary learning curve of a rookie, it is unknown whether Wright will be available to play at all next season.

Bears rookie returner and cornerback Devin Hester's natural ease in fielding punts in strong wind conditions was especially impressive. And his speed was clearly evident, raising the question of whether he or fellow second-rounder Danieal Manning was faster. Hester hesitated a moment, then said with a laugh: "I got him a little bit."

Commanders safety Sean Taylor's long-delayed trial on assault and battery charges is scheduled to start today in Miami but is expected to be postponed again.

Mike Espy, a Commanders tryout receiver from Mississippi who had some of the camp's nicest catches, is the son of former Secretary of Agriculture Mike Espy. The younger Espy was encouraged that the coaches had him learning two of the three receiver positions.

Former UCLA LB Spencer Havner, 23, will open training camp behind Washington on the strong side, but he also has played the weak side, where McIntosh, Holdman and Clemons will vie to replace LaVar Arrington. And of course, Havner also will have to earn a job via special teams.

Commanders coach Joe Gibbs said the team was impressed by several players this weekend and could sign some on a tryout basis. "Some impressed us enough that we'd like to find a way to keep them," Gibbs said. The evaluation process is ongoing, Gibbs said, and some of these players could be signed later in the offseason as well. Seventy-two players finished the camp.

Former Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, who wasn't allowed on the field for much of last season while recovering from a mild stroke, was on the field for practices over the weekend. "He's feeling fine," Holmgren said. "He got good news from his doctors. He had a big, big physical a week ago. He won't be the coordinator anymore, but he will certainly be a ... big contributor to our defense."​

Reaction score
trickblue said:

Larry Allen appears too heavy. On a drill calling for him to bounce on his feet late in practice, Allen didn't move at all. But the 49ers seem unconcerned. Allen has a reputation for downsizing to his proper playing weight in time for the regular season.

i have nothing against larry allen, at all. i appreciate his contributions to the cowboys over the years. i will cheer him on at his HOF induction.

...but i gotta be honest... there's a part of me that is just glad he's gone...

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
But Allen appears too heavy. On a drill calling for him to bounce on his feet late in practice, Allen didn't move at all. But the 49ers seem unconcerned. Allen has a reputation for downsizing to his proper playing weight in time for the regular season.

Actually, I thought his reputation was to come to camp completely out of shape. Then be slightly better for the regular season if you break out the bull whip. You would think he would try to impress his new team with being in great shape. I for one am glad he is gone. We don't need the bs.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
The Bucs are still in the market for a safety to back up Jermaine Phillips and Will Allen. One the Bucs are high on is Steve Cargile, who spent last season on the Cowboys practice squad.

Dallas has fairly desperately needed a safety to START and the Bucs want to grab one from our PS? Thay're that high on him?

Ummm, OK.

Reaction score
dmq said:
But Allen appears too heavy. On a drill calling for him to bounce on his feet late in practice, Allen didn't move at all. But the 49ers seem unconcerned. Allen has a reputation for downsizing to his proper playing weight in time for the regular season.

Actually, I thought his reputation was to come to camp completely out of shape. Then be slightly better for the regular season if you break out the bull whip. You would think he would try to impress his new team with being in great shape. I for one am glad he is gone. We don't need the bs.

that writer's comment made me laugh,,, maybe he's talking about the early days when Larry power-lifted and bulked up in the offseason and then "trimmed down" for the regular season... but that was a looooong time ago Whiner Fans, in a galaxy far far away.... :cool:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
trickblue said:

If you click on that link, they talk about the 49ers mini-camp and here's what they say about Manny Lawson:

"Opinions varied on the team's other first-round pick, linebacker Manny Lawson. Some thought Lawson looked too lanky (he's 6-foot-5 and a svelte 240 pounds). He couldn't finish a punishing shuttle drill imposed by linebackers coach Mike Singletary."

That was one thing that concerned me about Manny... he seems so skinny. The fact that he couldn't finish the drill doesn't look good.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
juckie said:
There is Mr.Bledsoe hater again.Positivity please.;)
Ummm...I don't get it...his little :eek: was in response to a comment about a FS from our PS not about Bledsoe. What am I missing here?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
trickblue said:

That isn't all the article says about big Larry either. It also reads:

"Guard Larry Allen was easily the most intriguing player of the minicamp based on his impressive size and strength.

During a pass-protection drill, he tossed linebackers as if they were rag dolls. On another exercise calling for guards to pull and then hit a large pad held by a teammate, Allen came out of his stance and punched the pad held chest-high by Eric Heitmann. Allen lifted the 305-pound Heitmann clean off of his feet; Heitmann then landed and stumbled backward. Fearing potential injuries, coach Mike Nolan went to selected players, including Allen, and told them to be careful."

It also talks about how Larry left practice.

"A black stretch limousine waited in front of the facility Saturday evening until Allen sauntered out carrying a small bag. He was wearing a pearl white Miami Heat jersey that fell to his thighs and long baggy shorts. Allen wordlessly eased into the back of the car, then the chauffeur, who was wearing a dark suit, closed the door. Safety Keith Lewis watched as Allen motored away and said, "Man, I want to go where he's going."

Apparently, he likes riding in style. :)

ravidubey

Reaction score
Larry Allen is a menace. I look at him like a personal body guard in the middle as opposed to a driving run blocker. He can move a guy out of the way as a run blocker; I think it's clear his pulling days are over. I can only imagine how well he'd trap block though! How would you like to be a victim of a trap-block from Larry Allen?

I love what he did as a Cowboy, and it's still fun to hear about him wreaking havoc in mini-camps.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
juckie said:
There is Mr.Bledsoe hater again.Positivity please.;)

LOL the word is not hate (I'm rooting hard for Bledsoe)it is realist

silver

Reaction score
EGG said:
that writer's comment made me laugh,,, maybe he's talking about the early days when Larry power-lifted and bulked up in the offseason and then "trimmed down" for the regular season... but that was a looooong time ago Whiner Fans, in a galaxy far far away.... :cool:
LA is NOP (as in Not Our Problem). He's in it for the money nowadays. He's got what Jimmy used to call the Fat Cat sindrome (no pun intended). He aint hungry no more.

burmafrd

Reaction score
He can still bury anyone he can get to. BUT he can hardly get to anyone not right in front of him anymore.