NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 05/30/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones dismissed rumors that Julius Jones was on the trading block on draft day. He also wouldn't call his running back injury-prone -- although that label is dangerously close to sticking. He has played in 21 NFL games in two seasons. When he was a rookie, Jones injured his shoulder, keeping him out of seven games. Last year, he suffered a high ankle sprain in Week 5 that kept him out of three games. Only once last season did he crack the 100-yard barrier. "He has something to prove to himself, as well," Parcells said. "Now durability is a big deal at the running back position. So he's had a little tough luck. A couple of times. But I think things will get better for him."

Shawne Merriman continues to stay busy with business ventures, television appearances and even a possible foray into acting. ... The Chargers brass has acknowledged there was concern, or at least an unknown and uneasy feeling, about Merriman's diverse interests last year. No more. It is clear he loves football and is dedicated to making himself the best. “That's what I love to do,” he said. “You have to remember what got you here. You can't lose sight of your passion, your love. No matter how much money I make, how many cars I have, how many houses I buy or whatever else I do, football is No. 1. I can't wait to turn it up this year.”

Browns sixth-round pick Baba Oshinowo is out to make the team forget they ever thought about drafting top-rated nose tackle Haloti Ngata. "I don't feel like the Browns lost anything by drafting me instead of Ngata," Oshinowo said at the recent rookie minicamp. "In my mind, we're on the same level. He's an amazing talent that attracts a lot of coaches, but I feel like, put in the same situations, I can do just as good a job."

As Benji Olson begins his eighth season as a starter, he will also be playing alongside a new starting center for the sixth time and a new starting right tackle for the fourth time. While offensive line play is generally formed around cohesion and familiarity, Titans coach Jeff Fisher says he doesn’t foresee any problems with all the off-season shuffling.

Even if Koy Detmer remains, there probably will be a practice-squad berth available for a young QB, and that just about has to be either Matt Nordgren or former Hawaii star Timmy Chang, who just joined the Eagles from NFL Europe. Chang, listed generously at 6-1, 207, was in camp with Arizona and Detroit last season.

Some of the reasons Brodrick Bunkley emerged as the 14th overall pick in this year's NFL draft are as obvious as the Eagles' need for a better pass rush. Bunkley, 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds, is quick, strong and talented. He can bench-press 525 pounds, and during Florida State's stretch run last fall, it seemed as if he was spending as much time behind the line of scrimmage as the opposing team's running backs. Those things tend to capture the attention of NFL scouts.

The NFL understandably is bragging about these results from the 16th annual poll of young readers by Sports Illustrated for Kids: Favorite sport to play: football 30 percent, basketball 27 percent, baseball 23 percent and soccer 9 percent; favorite TV sport to watch: football 61 percent, baseball 13 percent and basketball 12 percent; favorite athlete Peyton Manning; favorite uniform Cincinnati Bengals; and favorite sports all-star game: NFL Pro Bowl 36 percent, NBA 29 percent and baseball 27 percent.

Natasha Spencer recently set a milestone for Derrick Brooks' charity, which literally has taken Bay area children around the world, including trips to Africa, New York and Washington, D.C. On April 29, she became the first Brooks Bunch member to graduate from college. Following in Brooks' footsteps, Spencer earned a bachelor's degree from his alma mater with a 3.6 grade-point average, and now plans to attend medical school. Along the way, Brooks inspected every report card, making sure she stayed on the right path.

There is nothing new to report on Deion Branch and his contract negotiations with the Patriots, but the time is approaching when it might become a front-burner issue. Branch, who has one year to run on his rookie deal, said last month that ‘‘my job is to finish my (current) contract.” His agent, Jason Chayut, refused comment last week. According to one source, Branch has told friends he’s looking for bonus/guaranteed money in the range of $12 million, while the Pats are telling Chayut they aren’t responsible for how other teams pay for their players.

Two Cincinnati Bengals — defensive tackle John Thornton ($2.75 million this year) and outside linebacker Brian Simmons ($2.84 million) — fit the criteria of big salaries and lengthy contracts (both through 2008). But neither player should worry about feeling the knife, because both play critical roles for the defense.

This year, we hear the Dolphins are intrigued by Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who is expected to be available in the July 13 NFL supplemental draft. Two other linebackers also could warrant a look: Iowa State's Jason Berryman and Hutchinson (Kan.) Junior College's David Dixon. Brooks and Berryman have had off-field issues, but that hasn't stopped Nick Saban before. Kicked off Virginia's team in January for an undisclosed reason, Brooks can play inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, which Miami will use at times. NFL.com's Gil Brandt said he could be a Julius Peppers-type defensive end.

Panthers rookie DeAngelo Williams, the team's first-round draft pick in last April's college draft, impressed coaches with his quickness and elusiveness in his first minicamp. He knows that DeShaun Foster will get the first crack at being the featured back, but he will do everything he can to push Foster for the job - and to prove to coaches that he's durable enough to handle it.

The Panthers are sorting out who is going to be the third wide receiver behind starters Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson, and it could come down to Drew Carter vs. Keary Colbert.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
trickblue said:

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones dismissed rumors that Julius Jones was on the trading block on draft day. He also wouldn't call his running back injury-prone -- although that label is dangerously close to sticking. He has played in 21 NFL games in two seasons. When he was a rookie, Jones injured his shoulder, keeping him out of seven games. Last year, he suffered a high ankle sprain in Week 5 that kept him out of three games. Only once last season did he crack the 100-yard barrier. "He has something to prove to himself, as well," Parcells said. "Now durability is a big deal at the running back position. So he's had a little tough luck. A couple of times. But I think things will get better for him."​
Jerry doesn't have to call him injury prone, but I will. If he doesn't want the same label as Fred Taylor he needs to ramp it up this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Jerry doesn't have to call him injury prone, but I will. If he doesn't want the same label as Fred Taylor he needs to ramp it up this year.
[/indent]

Save the drama for your mama, Hos. There's an important difference between having injuries and being prone to them. There's nothing about Julius' high ankle sprain or broken shoulder that should remind anyone of Fragile Fred.

I agree, though, that he needs to stay on the field this year in order to be the special player we've seen flashes of.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Idgit said:
Save the drama for your mama, Hos. There's an important difference between having injuries and being prone to them. There's nothing about Julius' high ankle sprain or broken shoulder that should remind anyone of Fragile Fred.

I agree, though, that he needs to stay on the field this year in order to be the special player we've seen flashes of.
Mama don't like no drama Idgit.

This is from the negatives on his scouting report.

Not mentally tough, letting minor injuries linger

Link

Injuries are legit. How fast you put them behind you is what I am talking about. We need him to toughen up a bit.

kmd24

Reaction score
Hostile said:
[/INDENT]

I've always thought injury prone referred to guys that kept having the same type of injury over and over, like Donte Stallworth and his hamstrings.

It's been unfortunate what's happened to JJ, but I don't think there is any back in the league that wouldn't have suffered a high ankle sprain on the play that sidelined JJ last year. It was the same kind of tackle that can lead to a break from what I remember.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
My biggest concern with Jones is his apparent inability to break tackles.

He's outstanding in the open field, but this ain't flag football.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Julius has been injury prone; you can't sugar-coat it. Banged up ribs, broken clavicle, high ankle sprain-- his body wasn't meant to do what he's doing with it.

That said, Michael Irvin was also injury prone and did not do much but show flashes of greatness in 1988, 1989, and 1990. We all know how his career turned out.

With talent and pedigree like Julius' you have to give it time.

Chief said:
My biggest concern with Jones is his apparent inability to break tackles.

He's outstanding in the open field, but this ain't flag football.

I believe with better strength training he will only get better in this area. A more agile OL might also help, and lastly the guy is very good at making people miss.

TheHustler

Reaction score
trickblue said:
The NFL understandably is bragging about these results from the 16th annual poll of young readers by Sports Illustrated for Kids: Favorite sport to play: football 30 percent, basketball 27 percent, baseball 23 percent and soccer 9 percent; favorite TV sport to watch: football 61 percent, baseball 13 percent and basketball 12 percent; favorite athlete Peyton Manning; favorite uniform Cincinnati Bengals; and favorite sports all-star game: NFL Pro Bowl 36 percent, NBA 29 percent and baseball 27 percent.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
kmd24 said:
I've always thought injury prone referred to guys that kept having the same type of injury over and over, like Donte Stallworth and his hamstrings.

It's been unfortunate what's happened to JJ, but I don't think there is any back in the league that wouldn't have suffered a high ankle sprain on the play that sidelined JJ last year. It was the same kind of tackle that can lead to a break from what I remember.

We all scrutize the injuries Jones has had. But if you call Fred Taylor "injury prone" is that the same as living in the training room?

Call it bad luck if that doesn't hit a nerve. Unfortunately, the best backs are able to stay healthy. It's the nature of the position. And if they don't, for whatever reason, they get labelled. And if Jones is thinking too about it and playing not to get injured, then he probably will. That is likely what Coach Parcells was talking about last year when he said that the Carolina game was the first game he was mentally back in it.

Jones appears to have a somewhat fragile psyche and he has to get his confidence up to be at his best. Once he gets that, you get great results. Keeping him in that state of mind is what needs to be accomplished. Otherwise, he will forever tease greatness.

trickblue

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

I feel your pain... most of the NFL teams now look like High School teams uniform-wise...

I pray we keep ours sane... I wouldn't mind a different uniform, but I just want a tweak here or there... no overhaul... I don't want to be known as "Dallas High"... :mad:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I feel your pain... most of the NFL teams now look like High School teams uniform-wise...

I pray we keep ours sane... I wouldn't mind a different uniform, but I just want a tweak here or there... no overhaul... I don't want to be known as "Dallas High"... :mad:
Except for Denver and Tampa's all the new uni's are terrible. I have seen better uni's in Any Given Sunday :D

trickblue

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Except for Denver and Tampa's all the new uni's are terrible. I have seen better uni's in Any Given Sunday :D

Tampa's I like... I can do without Denver High...

Hail to the Arena League... :D

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

I agree about Tampa, but Denver's were the ones who started the "swoosh" on everything. They look NFLE also.

To the letter, all the new uniforms (Buffalo, Arizona, Minnesota) can be used to induce vomiting. All of them are just tacky.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he has any more time to "tease". This is it for Jones to prove that he can be "the man" in Dallas. Otherwise he'll be relegated to a backup role and the Cowboys will resume their search for a starting tailback.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
I don't think he has any more time to "tease". This is it for Jones to prove that he can be "the man" in Dallas. Otherwise he'll be relegated to a backup role and the Cowboys will resume their search for a starting tailback.
Agreed.

kmd24

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Call it bad luck if that doesn't hit a nerve. Unfortunately, the best backs are able to stay healthy. It's the nature of the position. And if they don't, for whatever reason, they get labelled. And if Jones is thinking too about it and playing not to get injured, then he probably will. That is likely what Coach Parcells was talking about last year when he said that the Carolina game was the first game he was mentally back in it.

Jones appears to have a somewhat fragile psyche and he has to get his confidence up to be at his best. Once he gets that, you get great results. Keeping him in that state of mind is what needs to be accomplished. Otherwise, he will forever tease greatness.

I feel that it is important to distinguish between JJ and other guys that either get hurt because they are not physically prepared or stay in the training room because they are unwilling to play hurt.

JJ seems physically prepared and has shown a willingness to stay in the game when dinged up but still able to contribute. Since those are the only things really under his control, I'm pretty happy with everything he's done as a Cowboy, and I don't feel he has to prove anything to anyone.

If he keeps working hard, odds are that he will break through. If he's snakebit when it comes to injuries, so be it. At least he's doing everything he can to be ready to play.

MONT17

Reaction score
this guy Maller should just come out and say I love Phil Savage and the Browns front office.... getting a quote froma 6th round DT saying that he is just as good as a guy who was a top 10 pick is just waaaaay over the top!!!

we know the Browns are better, but spare me the details!!!!

Alexander

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
this guy Maller should just come out and say I love Phil Savage and the Browns front office.... getting a quote froma 6th round DT saying that he is just as good as a guy who was a top 10 pick is just waaaaay over the top!!!

we know the Browns are better, but spare me the details!!!!

All Ben Maller does is report the news headlines with supporting text. That came directly from a Cleveland newspaper source.