NFL Rumors & Notes by Ben Maller 07/12/06...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Ty Law's main suitors are New England, Arizona, Seattle and Kansas City, and it’s assumed the Chiefs and Patriots are the front-runners. Law hates it when people assume. But it’s obvious that New England and Kansas City are heavily on his mind, in part, he says, because “they have a pretty damn good chance of winning.” Sentimentality may play into it, too. Kansas City is where Herm Edwards is now the coach, and Law and Edwards are longtime friends. Edwards coached him in New York last fall, when doubters wondered whether Law could come back from a serious foot injury, and Law ended up with a league-high 10 interceptions. New England is where Law won three Super Bowls but was a salary-cap casualty after the foot injury. “I’d love to have the opportunity to play for (Kansas City), especially going up there and being reunited with Herm Edwards, because we have some unfinished business,” Law said Tuesday. “If we get together again, fine. But at the same time, we both know this is a business, and all fairy tales don’t come true. It’s not out of the question that I can return back to New England because I didn’t leave on bad terms. It was business. Me and coach (Bill) Belichick, contrary to what everyone might believe, we’re fine. “I’m not opposed to going to either (place). Do I have preferences? Hmmmm, I can’t even say that. That puts myself at a disadvantage.”

After initial talks with receivers Kevin Johnson and Az Zahir-Hakim, Miami hasn't pursued either. Talks with defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson continue.

Cowboys RB Julius Jones has missed 11 games over the last two years. Whether it's a pattern or just a coincidence, even Jones knows he must stay healthy this year if he wants to take his game to the next level. And for Jones, who already has four games of at least 149 yards rushing in his career, including a pair of 190-plus performances, the next level should be entering the class of the NFL's premiere backs. But he's not there yet, and knows he won't get there if he can't play a full season. "I just want go a whole season without getting hurt," said Jones, who had 993 yards and five touchdowns last season. "All I want to do is make it through 16 games. If I can do that, then I'll be fine."

Troy Aikman wondered aloud if Eli Manning enjoys unmitigated support from some of his key offensive teammates. "I think it's unfortunate that here he is, as a quarterback going into his third season, and he's not given the opportunity to throw to his top three wide receivers throughout the offseason," Aikman said on a conference call. "I think that's a real mistake, for Jeremy Shockey, Plaxico Burress and Sinorice Moss not to be there with Eli Manning, getting some timing down. I don't think you can get that in just a mini-camp, I don't think you can get it in four weeks of training camp. "It takes a lot of time and a lot of repetition, and they're not getting that kind of time, and maybe that lends itself a little bit to some of the inaccuracies that Eli had last year." Aikman, the former quarterback and current lead football analyst on Fox, nearly got it right. Shockey and Burress eschewed the Giants offseason workout program, preferring to spend their time in Miami. Moss, a rookie receiver from the University of Miami, did work out at Giants Stadium and attended all his required sessions.

Falcons Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler had shoulder surgery in late February, president and general manager Rich McKay confirmed Tuesday. The Falcons did not reveal the injury until now, three weeks before the start of training camp on July 27. McKay offered no explanation as to why the injury and subsequent surgery was kept private for so long. "I don't see there being any problem," McKay said. "I'm sure we'll bring him along at the right pace. We'll watch him, but he'll be OK." Crumpler, the Falcons' leading receiver the past two seasons, had the labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder repaired in late February after playing in his third consecutive Pro Bowl. The surgery is not expected to prevent Crumpler from participating in training camp but could limit his availability in preseason games and practices, according to McKay.

One of Pittsburgh’s favorite former Steelers is no longer a bachelor. Sources close to retired Steelers running back Jerome Bettis say he tied the knot in Montego Bay, Jamaica over the weekend. Many NFL stars attended the ceremony, including Joey Porter, Hines Ward and Donovan McNabb. Bettis and his wife have a 1-year-old daughter.

Patrick Ramsey, one of four players with a legitimate chance of starting at quarterback for the Jets this season, yesterday signed a one-year contract extension worth $2.1 million. Ramsey will compete in training camp with oft-injured Chad Pennington, three-year veteran Brooks Bollinger, and second-round draft choice Kellen Clemens for the starting job, which opens July 28 in Hempstead.

Baltimore County police yesterday released a surveillance video showing Ravens reserve linebacker Roderick Green being chased by his alleged attacker after being stabbed outside a Baltimore County bowling center. County police said they released the video in hopes that someone will help them identify the suspect in the stabbing early Sunday morning at the Kings Point Lanes bowling center in Randallstown. Investigators also want to talk to a man, described as a witness, who is seen in the video. The footage - a series of still frames that is 40 seconds long - shows Green running just outside the bowling center with a smaller man in pursuit. The witness is then seen walking in the same direction.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban recently called Ahmad Brooks, the Virginia linebacker and top prospect in Thursday's supplemental draft.

Though Kay-Jay Harris and Gerald Riggs Jr. weren't anything special in minicamps -- and Travis Minor is a spare part -- the Dolphins like Sammy Morris and feel no urgency to acquire another backup running back before camp.

The Dolphins say they're keeping the same offensive system they ran under new Rams coach Scott Linehan, but players expect some differences under new coordinator Mike Mularkey. For example: Though Mularkey will go deep to take advantage of Daunte Culpepper's arm, the sense is there won't be as many long passes as Linehan called. ''The offense is going to be more controlled and more balanced,'' receiver Chris Chambers said.

The Detroit Lions are counting on the return of injured linebackers Boss Bailey (ankle) and Teddy Lehman (foot) to contribute heavily to their defensive revival under new coach Rod Marinelli, but the fact neither was able to do much of anything during offseason workouts is cause for serious concern.

It's easy to find reasons to doubt the New England Patriots' ability to return to their dynastic ways, but one difference-making development should be the return of safety Rodney Harrison from a knee injury. So far, there is no specific timetable on when he might be on the field. He could very well miss all of the preseason, but if he is playing by the start or the early portion of the regular season, the Patriots defense should be automatically stronger.

Among the many reasons for second guessing the Buffalo Bills' coaches last season was their underutilizing Willis McGahee in red-zone situations. McGahee was a disappointment last year, especially after failing to live up to his public declaration of being the best running back in the NFL. Nevertheless, he was -- and still is -- the Bills' best offensive talent, and having him more involved in scoring situations should be a no-brainer. There is reason to believe that new offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild recognizes as much. Although McGahee's decision to stay away from the vast majority of offseason workouts in Buffalo was unpopular with the new regime of general manager Marv Levy and coach Dick Jauron, he at least made a good impression by showing up for his lone minicamp appearance in top physical condition. I think McGahee, motivated in part by the desire to get a better contract, is determined to show great improvement over what he did in '05.

The Houston Texans are determined to make tight end a major component of their offense. They have two good ones in Mark Bruener and Jeb Putzier, whom new coach Gary Kubiak brought with him from Denver, as well as fourth-round draft pick Owen Daniels from Wisconsin. Another candidate at the position is Bennie Joppru, who has been sidelined by groin muscle and knee injuries since joining the Texans in 2003 as a second-round draft pick from Michigan. Joppru is healthy and expects to get a legitimate shot to stick with the new coaching regime, which, he told me, has helped create an unmistakably higher level of excitement within the team.

Forget about all of the drama that surrounded Brett Favre's decision to return for another season and the questions surrounding the inexperience of new coach Mike McCarthy. An offensive line that probably will include a pair of rookies at guard -- Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz -- is going to make or break the Green Bay Packers' season.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I hope JJ can stay healthy this year and lead the league in rushing/tds etc.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Ty Law's main suitors are New England, Arizona, Seattle and Kansas City, and it’s assumed the Chiefs and Patriots are the front-runners​

Glad we are not mentioned despite the 2+ year long 'book it' posts from Nors.​

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
It's pretty sad that the oline couldn't get him another 7 yds :banghead:

I am sure along the way, he made a poor cut here or didn't break a tackle or there that could have resulted in those seven yards as well. He should be thankful he had a shot at it and thank the OL for giving him the game he had against the Panthers.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I am sure along the way, he made a poor cut here or didn't break a tackle or there that could have resulted in those seven yards as well. He should be thankful he had a shot at it and thank the OL for giving him the game he had against the Panthers.
At least he didn't lose the rushing title by 1 yd like Shaun Alexander a couple of yrs ago.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Glad we are not mentioned despite the 2+ year long 'book it' posts from Nors.

That's for sure. BTW, am I out of the loop what happened to Nors???

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
It's pretty sad that the oline couldn't get him another 7 yds :banghead:

Yeah, but it's also sad that we (myself included, please understand) place such an unnecessary value on round numbers. For all intents and purposes, a 993 yard season is almost exactly the same as a 1000 yard season. And yet, if he'd gotten another 7 meaningless yards along the way, we'd somehow all feel quite a bit better about the job he did.

But why? What difference does it make? Those 7 yards wouldn't make him a better back, wouldn't get us another win, and wouldn't add anything to his resume other than having met an essentially meaningless benchmark.

I mean, if it somehow wrecks his confidence, sure it's important. If he uses it as motivation this year and plays out of his mind, sure it's important. But in the end, the impact of those 7 yards is purely psychological.

burmafrd

Reaction score
True the 7 yds really does not mean that much- in a way I am glad he did not get it since it under lined just how bad the line was. I do not know why anyone would think he owed the O line ANYTHING after the lousy year they had.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
NinePointOh said:
Yeah, but it's also sad that we (myself included, please understand) place such an unnecessary value on round numbers. For all intents and purposes, a 993 yard season is almost exactly the same as a 1000 yard season. And yet, if he'd gotten another 7 meaningless yards along the way, we'd somehow all feel quite a bit better about the job he did.

But why? What difference does it make? Those 7 yards wouldn't make him a better back, wouldn't get us another win, and wouldn't add anything to his resume other than having met an essentially meaningless benchmark.

I mean, if it somehow wrecks his confidence, sure it's important. If he uses it as motivation this year and plays out of his mind, sure it's important. But in the end, the impact of those 7 yards is purely psychological.

It turns a three digit number into a four digit number. Take that to the bank ;).

ConcreteBoy

Benched
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshjwc9
That's for sure. BTW, am I out of the loop what happened to Nors???

He turned into "The Answer"

Nah - the answer is far more likely that Bledstud character, Not Nors. A Nors wannabe maybe.