NFL Rumors & Notes

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
NFL Rumors & Notes
Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Indianapolis tailback Edgerrin James has picked the right agents if he's trying to find his way onto the Dolphins roster. Miami Beach-based agents Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, who represent 10 Dolphins players, signed James as a new client on Monday. James, who recently parted ways with former agent Scott Parker, has told friends he would like to play for the Dolphins

The Browns and Broncos have agreed on a trade that would send Gerard Warren to the Broncos for a fourth-round draft choice in the 2005 draft, a league source said Monday as the scouting combine was winding down. The trade cannot be consummated until Wednesday, the first day trades in the NFL can be made in 2005.

It appears the Kansas City Chiefs will get the first crack at former Titans cornerback Samari Rolle when the NFL's free agency period begins. Rolle is scheduled to arrive in Kansas City for a visit tomorrow. The Chiefs are looking for veteran help at the position, but only have between $4 million and $5 million in cap room. There were reports out of Washington D.C. yesterday that Rolle was in serious contract talks with the Commanders, but last night there were no indications a deal was imminent.

Commanders cornerback Fred Smoot also is believed to have emerged as an option for the Jets, who quietly are looking for a dramatic upgrade to their secondary when the free-agent period begins tomorrow.

Sources have said a new deal for Tom Brady is imminent, and if the Pats turn in the paperwork today they'll likely receive some cap savings off Brady's scheduled 2005 charge of $10 million. However, the cash out of owner Robert Kraft's pocket is another matter, as Brady will certainly receive a huge sum of money in bonuses and guarantees.

Recently released San Diego Chargers receiver-returner Tim Dwight said last week that one of the teams he would like to play for is the Packers.

The Jaguars remain in discussions with Derrick Mason's agent, Peter Schaffer, but team officials indicated a deal before the start of free agency was unlikely. Mason is 31 years old and looking for a deal with an average salary of $5 million, both of which are making the Jaguars pause.

A source close to the six- time Pro Bowl fullback confirmed Mike Alstott and the Bucs agreed to a new contract Monday morning. The deal, reportedly a one-year contract with an option for a second, provides salary-cap relief for the Bucs as tonight's deadline looms.

Watching the heavy snow fall yesterday, Gary Baxter said it's unlikely he will be able to leave his Baltimore home anytime soon, much less the Ravens. Considered the top priority of the Ravens' 12 pending unrestricted free agents, Baxter remains optimistic about staying with the team and wouldn't rule out striking a deal before hitting the market tomorrow. According to a league source, the three-year starting cornerback and the Ravens are about $4 million apart on a signing bonus. "I still think a deal will still get done with the Ravens," said Baxter, who declined to talk about specific contract numbers. "I know talks are being intensified. But I'm not an expert at this." This offseason could be a different one for the Ravens. Four starters - linebacker Ed Hartwell, center Casey Rabach, right guard Bennie Anderson and receiver Travis Taylor - are expected to go elsewhere.

Brian Levy, Jay Fiedler's agent, told The Post yesterday that the Giants and Bears have both been extremely aggressive in pursuing his client and lists them as the front-runners. The Jets, he said, are thus far not in the game. "I've been hearing that they are interested but I haven't made contact with them yet," Levy said. "I think Jay might be their second option. They might be waiting on the Holcomb situation." That would be Kelly Holcomb, who at the moment is locked in a contract squabble in Cleveland. If that situation isn't rectified, Fiedler would be interested in the Browns, as that would present a chance for a starting job, something Fiedler, 33, was accustomed to in Miami before he was recently released by the Dolphins.

Free agent cornerback Fred Smoot -- who has declined a $10 million bonus -- still has a chance to return to the Commanders for his fifth NFL season. "Fred's desire is Washington, but there's a whole lot of fish out there in the sea," Smoot's agent, Bus Cooke, said Monday night. "We've had amicable talks with Mr. Snyder and Mr. Gibbs. We'll see how it plays out."

The Packers informed the representatives of three of their most prominent restricted free agents - running back Najeh Davenport, tackle Kevin Barry and quarterback Craig Nall - that they would be receiving the lowest of the three tender offers before the opening bell for free agency Wednesday. Another, quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan, is also expecting to receive the low offer. Davenport might be the most intriguing prospect because he has showed some starting running back potential. Primarily a backup to Ahman Green and a kickoff returner, Davenport rushed for 178 yards in 19 carries in his only start last season against St. Louis. He has a career rushing average of 5.1 yards per carry and a career kickoff return average of 25.6 yards. His biggest obstacle will be overcoming a reputation for being injury- and fumble-prone.

Once the free agency signing period begins, the Bears will be looking for a veteran backup quarterback and an offensive lineman, particularly one who can challenge Qasim Mitchell for a starting job at right tackle. Among the quarterbacks, the Bears have expressed an interest in former Miami starter Jay Fiedler. The most intriguing, affordable tackle on the market appears to be Fred Miller, cut by Tennessee in a salary-cap move.

Sources said the Washington Commanders might miss a self-imposed deadline to restructure left tackle Chris Samuels's contract by Tuesday at 4 p.m. -- when all NFL teams must be under the salary cap. The timetable involving Samuels, who is close to an agreement with Washington, was largely artificial because the two sides can continue talks after Tuesday without being penalized.

The Raiders gave themselves wiggle room by placing a "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Charles Woodson, a designation that will allow the four-time Pro Bowler to negotiate for a long-term contract with other teams beginning Wednesday, when free agency officially begins. That tag ensures the Raiders the choice to match another offer or receive two first-round draft picks. That is, unless the Raiders strike a deal to trade Woodson to another team. As long as he is tagged, he remains their property. Given the frosty relationship between Poston and the front office, it's expected the Raiders will find another home for him soon. Meanwhile, the cornerback has a relatively short window -- from Wednesday until March 15 -- to negotiate with other clubs. After that, no team is permitted to discuss a contract extension with Woodson until June.

The Bucs are expected to release cornerback Mario Edwards and linebacker Ian Gold. By restructuring, Alstott saved the team about $1.35-million. Tampa Bay has been unable to restructure the contract of linebacker Derrick Brooks, who counts $9.6-million against the cap this season. In fact, that's why the team is not expected to exercise its option on Gold, who wants to return to his natural position of weakside linebacker. Given the cap situation, coach Jon Gruden knows it's inevitable he will lose players to free agency. "You know, I'm tired of talking about the cap," he said Sunday. "I don't know how it works. I just want some guys who want to play some g--d--- football."

Falcons officials --- with help from the NFL --- did more than needed Monday to get under the league's projected salary cap limit of $86-plus million before tonight's deadline. They created enough cap space to shop when free agency begins Wednesday. But even after Travis Hall --- a 10-year veteran and the senior member of the team --- was one of three players cut, including starting defenders Ed Jasper and Cory Hall, the Falcons might eventually re-sign him. "Their situation is they had to get cap space by [today] for sure," said Travis Hall, who was owed a $1 million bonus this month if on the roster plus a $3 million salary next season, residues of his days as a starter. "I told them I'd love to be back. I know I've been in the league 10 years and have a big cap number."

The Bengals have drawn a line in the sand, and two unrestricted free agents — wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and center Rich Braham — are standing on the other side. Houshmandzadeh's agent, David Dunn, who also represents Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, left the NFL Combine in Indianapolis without a deal, but talks continue with Bengals negotiators Troy and Katie Blackburn.

It appears the Browns will lose another member of their secondary with cornerback Anthony Henry, a starter for three of his four seasons, set to become a free agent Wednesday. His position has become the highest-paid in the league, and Henry is among the top unrestricted free agents available. ``I do anticipate he'll hit the market,'' Henry's agent, Jerrold Colton, said. ``They made a significant effort to keep him. I never say never, but once you hit the free-agent market, it's rare to go back.''

Philadelphia DE Hugh Douglas- The veteran, recovering from shoulder surgery, told The Times last week he expects to be back with the Eagles and was willing to take another one-year deal loaded with incentives. It makes sense for the team, since Douglas is worth that much just for what he brings to the locker room.

Jeremiah Trotter and his agent, Jim Sexton, can negotiate with the Eagles and only the Eagles until midnight tonight. Then he's fair game. Kansas City is one team that is ready to jump in fast, according to a report.

The Jets remain optimistic they can re-sign NT Jason Ferguson, but are wary that the Cowboys will get involved tomorrow. Ferguson's agent, Jimmy Sexton, also represents Dallas coach Bill Parcells

The Jets' revived interest in Derrick Mason shows how quickly things can change in NFL free agency. When it appeared the Jets had all but completed the Moss-for-Coles trade Friday, one team official was lukewarm when asked about Mason. Though Mason led all wide receivers with 96 catches for the Titans last season, most scouts would agree there's a dropoff from Coles to Mason. The Giants are interested in Mason, who reportedly has talked to the Jaguars and Ravens.

The Pats released veteran linebacker Roman Phifer after four years of exemplary service. Phifer came to the Pats from the scrap heap in 2001 and wound up playing a key role in three Super Bowl championships. However, Phifer turns 37 Saturday, and he said late in the season that retirement had crossed his mind.

The Ravens may also need a cornerback. According to a team source, Gary Baxter has turned down a $12 million signing bonus. There are a number of cornerbacks available like Ty Law, Samari Rolle and Fred Smoot, but if the Ravens waste a bundle on a receiver, there might not be enough to go around, especially if they want to trade up in the draft to acquire a receiver.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
Alexander said:
NFL Rumors & Notes
Tuesday, March 1, 2005

"You know, I'm tired of talking about the cap," he said Sunday. "I don't know how it works. I just want some guys who want to play some g--d--- football."
:D You know, I suspected as much, but I never though he would admit it

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Alexander said:
NFL Rumors & Notes
Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Indianapolis tailback Edgerrin James has picked the right agents if he's trying to find his way onto the Dolphins roster. Miami Beach-based agents Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, who represent 10 Dolphins players, signed James as a new client on Monday. James, who recently parted ways with former agent Scott Parker, has told friends he would like to play for the Dolphins

The Browns and Broncos have agreed on a trade that would send Gerard Warren to the Broncos for a fourth-round draft choice in the 2005 draft, a league source said Monday as the scouting combine was winding down. The trade cannot be consummated until Wednesday, the first day trades in the NFL can be made in 2005.

It appears the Kansas City Chiefs will get the first crack at former Titans cornerback Samari Rolle when the NFL's free agency period begins. Rolle is scheduled to arrive in Kansas City for a visit tomorrow. The Chiefs are looking for veteran help at the position, but only have between $4 million and $5 million in cap room. There were reports out of Washington D.C. yesterday that Rolle was in serious contract talks with the Commanders, but last night there were no indications a deal was imminent.

Commanders cornerback Fred Smoot also is believed to have emerged as an option for the Jets, who quietly are looking for a dramatic upgrade to their secondary when the free-agent period begins tomorrow.

Sources have said a new deal for Tom Brady is imminent, and if the Pats turn in the paperwork today they'll likely receive some cap savings off Brady's scheduled 2005 charge of $10 million. However, the cash out of owner Robert Kraft's pocket is another matter, as Brady will certainly receive a huge sum of money in bonuses and guarantees.

Recently released San Diego Chargers receiver-returner Tim Dwight said last week that one of the teams he would like to play for is the Packers.

The Jaguars remain in discussions with Derrick Mason's agent, Peter Schaffer, but team officials indicated a deal before the start of free agency was unlikely. Mason is 31 years old and looking for a deal with an average salary of $5 million, both of which are making the Jaguars pause.

A source close to the six- time Pro Bowl fullback confirmed Mike Alstott and the Bucs agreed to a new contract Monday morning. The deal, reportedly a one-year contract with an option for a second, provides salary-cap relief for the Bucs as tonight's deadline looms.

Watching the heavy snow fall yesterday, Gary Baxter said it's unlikely he will be able to leave his Baltimore home anytime soon, much less the Ravens. Considered the top priority of the Ravens' 12 pending unrestricted free agents, Baxter remains optimistic about staying with the team and wouldn't rule out striking a deal before hitting the market tomorrow. According to a league source, the three-year starting cornerback and the Ravens are about $4 million apart on a signing bonus. "I still think a deal will still get done with the Ravens," said Baxter, who declined to talk about specific contract numbers. "I know talks are being intensified. But I'm not an expert at this." This offseason could be a different one for the Ravens. Four starters - linebacker Ed Hartwell, center Casey Rabach, right guard Bennie Anderson and receiver Travis Taylor - are expected to go elsewhere.

Brian Levy, Jay Fiedler's agent, told The Post yesterday that the Giants and Bears have both been extremely aggressive in pursuing his client and lists them as the front-runners. The Jets, he said, are thus far not in the game. "I've been hearing that they are interested but I haven't made contact with them yet," Levy said. "I think Jay might be their second option. They might be waiting on the Holcomb situation." That would be Kelly Holcomb, who at the moment is locked in a contract squabble in Cleveland. If that situation isn't rectified, Fiedler would be interested in the Browns, as that would present a chance for a starting job, something Fiedler, 33, was accustomed to in Miami before he was recently released by the Dolphins.

Free agent cornerback Fred Smoot -- who has declined a $10 million bonus -- still has a chance to return to the Commanders for his fifth NFL season. "Fred's desire is Washington, but there's a whole lot of fish out there in the sea," Smoot's agent, Bus Cooke, said Monday night. "We've had amicable talks with Mr. Snyder and Mr. Gibbs. We'll see how it plays out."

The Packers informed the representatives of three of their most prominent restricted free agents - running back Najeh Davenport, tackle Kevin Barry and quarterback Craig Nall - that they would be receiving the lowest of the three tender offers before the opening bell for free agency Wednesday. Another, quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan, is also expecting to receive the low offer. Davenport might be the most intriguing prospect because he has showed some starting running back potential. Primarily a backup to Ahman Green and a kickoff returner, Davenport rushed for 178 yards in 19 carries in his only start last season against St. Louis. He has a career rushing average of 5.1 yards per carry and a career kickoff return average of 25.6 yards. His biggest obstacle will be overcoming a reputation for being injury- and fumble-prone.

Once the free agency signing period begins, the Bears will be looking for a veteran backup quarterback and an offensive lineman, particularly one who can challenge Qasim Mitchell for a starting job at right tackle. Among the quarterbacks, the Bears have expressed an interest in former Miami starter Jay Fiedler. The most intriguing, affordable tackle on the market appears to be Fred Miller, cut by Tennessee in a salary-cap move.

Sources said the Washington Commanders might miss a self-imposed deadline to restructure left tackle Chris Samuels's contract by Tuesday at 4 p.m. -- when all NFL teams must be under the salary cap. The timetable involving Samuels, who is close to an agreement with Washington, was largely artificial because the two sides can continue talks after Tuesday without being penalized.

The Raiders gave themselves wiggle room by placing a "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Charles Woodson, a designation that will allow the four-time Pro Bowler to negotiate for a long-term contract with other teams beginning Wednesday, when free agency officially begins. That tag ensures the Raiders the choice to match another offer or receive two first-round draft picks. That is, unless the Raiders strike a deal to trade Woodson to another team. As long as he is tagged, he remains their property. Given the frosty relationship between Poston and the front office, it's expected the Raiders will find another home for him soon. Meanwhile, the cornerback has a relatively short window -- from Wednesday until March 15 -- to negotiate with other clubs. After that, no team is permitted to discuss a contract extension with Woodson until June.

The Bucs are expected to release cornerback Mario Edwards and linebacker Ian Gold. By restructuring, Alstott saved the team about $1.35-million. Tampa Bay has been unable to restructure the contract of linebacker Derrick Brooks, who counts $9.6-million against the cap this season. In fact, that's why the team is not expected to exercise its option on Gold, who wants to return to his natural position of weakside linebacker. Given the cap situation, coach Jon Gruden knows it's inevitable he will lose players to free agency. "You know, I'm tired of talking about the cap," he said Sunday. "I don't know how it works. I just want some guys who want to play some g--d--- football."

Falcons officials --- with help from the NFL --- did more than needed Monday to get under the league's projected salary cap limit of $86-plus million before tonight's deadline. They created enough cap space to shop when free agency begins Wednesday. But even after Travis Hall --- a 10-year veteran and the senior member of the team --- was one of three players cut, including starting defenders Ed Jasper and Cory Hall, the Falcons might eventually re-sign him. "Their situation is they had to get cap space by [today] for sure," said Travis Hall, who was owed a $1 million bonus this month if on the roster plus a $3 million salary next season, residues of his days as a starter. "I told them I'd love to be back. I know I've been in the league 10 years and have a big cap number."

The Bengals have drawn a line in the sand, and two unrestricted free agents — wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and center Rich Braham — are standing on the other side. Houshmandzadeh's agent, David Dunn, who also represents Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, left the NFL Combine in Indianapolis without a deal, but talks continue with Bengals negotiators Troy and Katie Blackburn.

It appears the Browns will lose another member of their secondary with cornerback Anthony Henry, a starter for three of his four seasons, set to become a free agent Wednesday. His position has become the highest-paid in the league, and Henry is among the top unrestricted free agents available. ``I do anticipate he'll hit the market,'' Henry's agent, Jerrold Colton, said. ``They made a significant effort to keep him. I never say never, but once you hit the free-agent market, it's rare to go back.''

Philadelphia DE Hugh Douglas- The veteran, recovering from shoulder surgery, told The Times last week he expects to be back with the Eagles and was willing to take another one-year deal loaded with incentives. It makes sense for the team, since Douglas is worth that much just for what he brings to the locker room.

Jeremiah Trotter and his agent, Jim Sexton, can negotiate with the Eagles and only the Eagles until midnight tonight. Then he's fair game. Kansas City is one team that is ready to jump in fast, according to a report.

The Jets remain optimistic they can re-sign NT Jason Ferguson, but are wary that the Cowboys will get involved tomorrow. Ferguson's agent, Jimmy Sexton, also represents Dallas coach Bill Parcells

The Jets' revived interest in Derrick Mason shows how quickly things can change in NFL free agency. When it appeared the Jets had all but completed the Moss-for-Coles trade Friday, one team official was lukewarm when asked about Mason. Though Mason led all wide receivers with 96 catches for the Titans last season, most scouts would agree there's a dropoff from Coles to Mason. The Giants are interested in Mason, who reportedly has talked to the Jaguars and Ravens.

The Pats released veteran linebacker Roman Phifer after four years of exemplary service. Phifer came to the Pats from the scrap heap in 2001 and wound up playing a key role in three Super Bowl championships. However, Phifer turns 37 Saturday, and he said late in the season that retirement had crossed his mind.

The Ravens may also need a cornerback. According to a team source, Gary Baxter has turned down a $12 million signing bonus. There are a number of cornerbacks available like Ty Law, Samari Rolle and Fred Smoot, but if the Ravens waste a bundle on a receiver, there might not be enough to go around, especially if they want to trade up in the draft to acquire a receiver.

im sorry im off topic but Clockwork Orange rules