CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
NFL rushes to bad judgment in NY

spacer.gif

[size=-1]By Randy Galloway[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Star-Telegram Staff Writer[/size]
spacer.gif

Keeping it all in perspective. I swear I am.

FEMA is one thing. Football is another.

But in case of a national catastrophe, we know now the NFL reacts quicker than the feds.

Over the weekend, FEMA finally discovered that there might be a problem in New Orleans. FEMA is also now investigating media rumors that coastal Mississippi and Alabama were wiped out.

But that's about enough on death and destruction in America.

What about our fun and games?

The aftermath of Katrina may have caught Washington napping, but not Anderson Cooper, Joe Scarborough or Paul Tagliabue.

The media people, all of them, were on the scene immediately, telling and showing the true story.

As commissioner of the NFL, Tagliabue was on the case immediately.

Let's see here:

The New Orleans Saints no longer had a dome to call home. Or even a city to call home.

Seriously, Tags had a tough and unprecedented call.

But for those of us in these trying times writing something as trivial as a sports column, allow me to totally disagree with the initial decision made by Tagliabue.

Perspective again.

FEMA is an incompetent disgrace.

Tagliabue gave an extra home game to a league member.

You do notice, huh, the very wide gap between the two?

But Tags shouldn't have done that to the Saints, or to the rest of the NFL.

The Saints' home opener was Sept. 18 against the New York Giants after Sunday's season opener on the road at Carolina.

The NFL announced Friday afternoon, slipping it in as a holiday weekend was starting, the Sept.18 game was being moved to Giants Stadium.

Later, the date of the game was set as Monday night, Sept. 19, because Saturday and Sunday in the Meadowlands were already booked.

This decision could eventually impact the Saints, the division the Giants are in and the entire playoff picture for January.

Thousands are homeless, living in shelters. Thousands are dead.

But the NFL will play its games, starting tonight.

That being a fact, then the playing field and the competitive balance has to be as level as possible for all 32 teams, although that's basically impossible for the Saints.

But why do the Giants benefit?

Greg Aiello is both a longtime friend and PR man for the NFL.

His explanation Wednesday from New York was that the Meadowlands was chosen because a decision had to be made quickly for this one game, and that Giants Stadium had everything in place.

"It can be a turn-key operation as far as game-day staffing," Aiello said, "and when you looked at the alternatives, particularly San Antonio and Houston, we wanted to make sure that our game stayed the hell out of the way of the relief efforts."

Except in Houston, where thousands of evacuees have relocated, Reliant Stadium, home of the Texans, was offered by owner Bob McNair as a neutral site.

The Texans play at home Sept 18, but both the Saturday and Monday dates were open.

Aiello countered that the Astrodome is next door to Reliant, and the NFL worry was over traffic in that area disrupting the relief effort situation at the Astrodome.

San Antonio? "Again, a lot of people from New Orleans are in town," he said, "plus the Saints would have had to do the game-day operations, and those people have enough to handle at the moment."

Agree on the points about San Antonio for this first game.

But in Houston, if the people from Louisiana had been invited, free of charge, to the game, what a great boost for both the Saints and the evacuees. The only traffic problem would have been the walk over to Reliant from the Astrodome.

And why not Atlanta, which is 480 miles from New Orleans? The Falcons are on the road that weekend.

Or Texas Stadium could have been used on Sunday, the 18th, again to the delight of many evacuees in our area.

The best new home for the Saints would be Baton Rouge, but at the moment, it's not an option because that city is serving as a relief effort staging area.

No team in the history of the NFL is facing as much personal duress and emotional strain as the Saints. How does a trip to New York from their San Antonio base help the Saints in any way?

Houston would be a 30-minute plane ride. It's about 40 minutes up here from San Antonio.

The Meadowlands makes no sense. Only the Giants benefit. That's not right.

Jim Haslett, the Saints coach, indicated as much this week, but he was holding his tongue.

So are all other teams in the league, including the Cowboys, Commanders and Eagles, who play in the Giants' division.

If you complain, well ...

In these trying times, no one can complain publicly.

But was that "quick" decision by Tagliabue a bit rushed? To benefit everyone on the Saints' side, the game against the Giants should have been played in Houston, or Irving, or Atlanta, where teams are located with staffs ready to make it happen.

Such a minor thing in the big picture. But the Saints deserved better, and New Orleans' displaced football team is part of the big picture.

RedLine

Reaction score
I really like the idea of having the game in Houston. Not only would it allow some of the people hold up in the Astrodome to get a short break from the disaster, it would have allowed many of the people that are from Louisiana to come and see their team. Heck, some of them live in Houston already.

When people decide to leave Louisiana, many of them come to Texas, I know because I am one of them. The league is making a mistake having the game in NY; it should be closer to home, closer to the people that want to see it.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Think about this. with the game in N.Y. The NFL has a game they can sell out and give the proceeds to hurricane relief and look like heros. They can manage national p.r. and turn the game into a fund raiser in front of a sold-out Meadowlands crowd.

With the game in Houston or S.A. or Baton Rouge they have a hard to organize-less- than-sellout $80.00 ticket no local fan wants to buy. They have only 10 days to sell out w/o a season ticket base. They be under pressure to give away tickets to the evacuees for free, when what they really need is money-not a ticket to a Saints game.
Galloway is a pedestrian local-yokel with no sense of the big picture.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RedLine said:
I really like the idea of having the game in Houston. Not only would it allow some of the people hold up in the Astrodome to get a short break from the disaster, it would have allowed many of the people that are from Louisiana to come and see their team. Heck, some of them live in Houston already.

When people decide to leave Louisiana, many of them come to Texas, I know because I am one of them. The league is making a mistake having the game in NY; it should be closer to home, closer to the people that want to see it.

Are the proceeds from the extra Monday night game in a major media market being donated to the relief effort? Probably. Nobody will say it, but the attention generated from this thing on opening weekend is a PR bombshell for the NFL.

You can bet if the Saints were playing, say, the Panthers, the game would have been on a neutral field.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It is not about fairness, and it will never be. It is all about the money. The Saints should be given the gate revenue for the game and let them decide what to do with it. It is their "HOME" game and as long as they get the ticket revenue, I really have no big problem with the decision. Yes the NYG have one more home game, but that will not matter one bit if the "irritated and with something to prove" Saints go up there and whip them - which I think they will.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
My big thought is just wether or not the league has put any meaningful thought (not just lip service) to a long term arena for the Saints home games. I know it wouldnt be ideal as far as proceeds go, but LSU is just up the road, and they have a pretty good sized stadium for a college team. I mean, you cant take the Saints out of Louisianna, IMO. If you do, there is no point in calling it a home game, cuz its not at home. Thats wat I find ridiculous about this whole thing! I say they should have tacked the Saints opener on at the end of the season. That way, they would have one less thing to worry about, and by the time their "home opener" came around the next week or week after, maybe the Astrodome would be cleared up enough to get folks in their for some football. That would also have given them almost a moth to promote it!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:
My big thought is just wether or not the league has put any meaningful thought (not just lip service) to a long term arena for the Saints home games. I know it would be ideal as far as proceeds go, but LSU is just up the road, they have a pretty good sized stadium for a college team. I mean, you cant take the Saints out of Louisianna, IMO. If you do, there is no point in calling it a home game, cuz its not at home. Thats wat I find ridiculous about this whole thing! I say they should have tacked the Saints opener on at the end of the season. That way, they would have one less thing to worry about, and by the time their "home opener" came around the next week or week after, maybe the Astrodome would be cleared up enough to get folks in their for some football. That would also have given them almost a moth to promote it!!

Many of the big college teams stadiums hold a lot more people than many of the NFL stadiums

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The Giants are going to make some money off this game, it appears to me.

The plan is to collect donations as fans enter the stadium, than match the total of whatever those are and send it all to relief.

Since the Giants charge $10 for parking, they'll probably be able to shift the parking revenue to match whatever the fans have left over to donate (after paying for parking, etc.).

If a carload of fans donates another $10 on top of the parking fee, that means that group of fans will have spent $20, while the Giants will have spent nothing.

gkdaboys

Reaction score
And don't forget, now that its being played in New York. The people in the NY/LO area won't see the start of the Cowboys/Commanders game. WE may also miss the Ring of Honor.

bula

Reaction score
OK SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY THE NFL DIDN"T DO THIS.

It took me 5 minutes of schedule shifting to figure this out. Don't tell me the NFL was too rushed to come up with this solution.

NFL schedule adjustment affects 3 teams - NY Giants, NO Saints and Minnesota Vikings.

Previous Schedule:

Week 2 - NYG at NO
Week 5 - Vikings and NYG have byes
Week 10 - Vikings at NYG, NO has a bye

Revised Schedule

Week 2 - NYG and NO have bye
Week 5 - Vikings at NYG
Week 10 - NYG at NO, Vikings have bye

This way NO gets an early bye week (which I know they could use for team and planning issues), all road and home teams games are in tact, and the only sacrifices being made are NYG and Minnesota move their bye weeks. No other teams are affected for feel shorted by the NYG getting an extra home game. All NFL revenues are secured.

Someone please tell me why this wasn't considered. It was very easy to figure out.

Bula

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
bula said:
OK SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY THE NFL DIDN"T DO THIS.
There are probably a couple dozen other ideas that also would have been more fair than what they came up with. The excuse is that, by holding the game at Giants Stadium, the league can generate a lot more revenue by filling the stadium.

The catch is, most of this extra revenue goes to the Giants, (a little to the Saints) the NFL, and East Rutherford area businesses.

For example, if the Giants were to simply donate all parking proceeds to the relief effort, that would amount to $250,000. Instead, they choose to pocket this money, and match whatever the fans have left over that they can donate. That's just one example.

If the argument is that holding the game in New Jersey will make a lot of money, then send all the profits toward the relief effort. Nobody should make one penny off of this.

aikemirv

Reaction score
percyhoward said:
There are probably a couple dozen other ideas that also would have been more fair than what they came up with. The excuse is that, by holding the game at Giants Stadium, the league can generate a lot more revenue by filling the stadium.

The catch is, most of this extra revenue goes to the Giants, (a little to the Saints) the NFL, and East Rutherford area businesses.

For example, if the Giants were to simply donate all parking proceeds to the relief effort, that would amount to $250,000. Instead, they choose to pocket this money, and match whatever the fans have left over that they can donate. That's just one example.

If the argument is that holding the game in New Jersey will make a lot of money, then send all the profits toward the relief effort. Nobody should make one penny off of this.

I agree that no one should make a penny off of this disaster, but thjat is not the way things work.

-How much more water could have been sent if the water companies asked for donations and sent the water at cost?

-How much more gatorade could be sent if they did the same?

-How much more canned goods?

But the American people are asked to give generously for full priced products to be sent to these areas. It is pretty ridiculous if you ask me but that is the way things are. All thesee companies should be doing there part and not making money off this tradgedy but that is not the way it is! Why is the NFL any different. Don't hold them to a higher standard.

kmd24

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:
My big thought is just wether or not the league has put any meaningful thought (not just lip service) to a long term arena for the Saints home games. I know it wouldnt be ideal as far as proceeds go, but LSU is just up the road, and they have a pretty good sized stadium for a college team. I mean, you cant take the Saints out of Louisianna, IMO. If you do, there is no point in calling it a home game, cuz its not at home. Thats wat I find ridiculous about this whole thing! I say they should have tacked the Saints opener on at the end of the season. That way, they would have one less thing to worry about, and by the time their "home opener" came around the next week or week after, maybe the Astrodome would be cleared up enough to get folks in their for some football. That would also have given them almost a moth to promote it!!

The problem with LSU is that even the Tigers aren't playing at Tiger Stadium because the field house and PMAC (basketball) are full of evacuees. It is also difficult for the city and parish to provide security because they are working double shifts to handle the suddnenly burgeoning population (my wife's school just added new sections of kindergarten, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade, and every open slot in the exisiting classes has been filled in the last week.)

Tiger Stadium holds over 90K, so it is more than big enough to host the game. In fact, the Saints would be hard pressed to sell the stadium out.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
All thesee companies should be doing there part and not making money off this tradgedy but that is not the way it is! Why is the NFL any different. Don't hold them to a higher standard.
You're right. The league shouldn't be held to a higher standard than any other large corporation. Why not hold all of them to a high standard?

It was mentioned on another board that the Giants needed to make some money of of this in order to cover expenses. Fine, but who are the Giants paying? FirstEnergyCorp, which owns Jersey Central Power and Light, netted $880 million last year. That company does not need to charge the Giants for the electricity used at the game. Again, just one example.

When it comes to making money off of other people's suffering (and deaths), the NFL can't use the excuse of "Well, everybody else is doing it." That excuse didn't even work for me in kindergarten.

aikemirv

Reaction score
percyhoward said:
You're right. The league shouldn't be held to a higher standard than any other large corporation. Why not hold all of them to a high standard?

It was mentioned on another board that the Giants needed to make some money of of this in order to cover expenses. Fine, but who are the Giants paying? FirstEnergyCorp, which owns Jersey Central Power and Light, netted $880 million last year. That company does not need to charge the Giants for the electricity used at the game. Again, just one example.

When it comes to making money off of other people's suffering (and deaths), the NFL can't use the excuse of "Well, everybody else is doing it." That excuse didn't even work for me in kindergarten.

I agree we should, and I don't agree with the way it is being taken care of. These companies should have agreements with the American Red Cross and such that they can buy mass quantities in bulk at cost from certain producers. Disasters such as this could be taken care of in a much quicker and efficient manner and supplys would be delivered directly from the manufacturer and avoid uneccessary delays. It could really work!

I think we are in agreement here!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw a story this morning on the news where Wal-Mart was donating around $15 million.
They were also hiring anyone who had been in the Hurricane (NOLA for sure not sure about Bama or Miss) and giving those employees $250.00 just to get a little starting cash.

Thought that was nice of them....considering the amount of money Wal-Mart hauls in.

They also have areas in some stores for things like wedding registration where people can enter their names and put things on a list they would like for a wedding gift...well they were turning those machines into things for hurricane survivors to enter stuff they need so anyone could go there and see the list and donate items.