NFL scouts are privately concerned about the fragility of Santonio Holmes

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
NFL scouts are privately concerned about the fragility of Santonio Holmes.
The 5-10 and 5/8 wideout weighed in at 179 pounds at Ohio State's pro day, which was nine pounds less than his measurement at the Combine. Holmes didn't miss a collegiate game for which he was active, and blamed the recent weight loss on the flu.

Apr. 1 - 10:10 am et
Source: ESPN.com

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
NFL scouts are privately concerned about the fragility of Santonio Holmes.
The 5-10 and 5/8 wideout weighed in at 179 pounds at Ohio State's pro day, which was nine pounds less than his measurement at the Combine. Holmes didn't miss a collegiate game for which he was active, and blamed the recent weight loss on the flu.

Apr. 1 - 10:10 am et
Source: ESPN.com

Holmes is a poor mans T. Glenn, and IMO isn't worth a 1st. People like to compare him with S.Smith but Holmes isn't nearly as explosive.

Someday he may be a great #2 but in a draft were quality WR's are few and far between, the best value will be found between the late 1st and early 3rd.

Woods

Reaction score
Actually, going on memory, I thought Holmes weighted 198 lbs at the Combine? He lost more than 9 lbs . . . . .

Manster74

Reaction score
179 lbs. ??? No thanks. Please, please, please do not take Holmes.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Holmes is a poor mans T. Glenn, and IMO isn't worth a 1st. People like to compare him with S.Smith but Holmes isn't nearly as explosive.

Santonio doesn't have the body type of a Steve Smith either, or a Joey Galloway. He's looser limbed and not as tightly muscled. He does best resemble Terry, and I agree with the 'poor man's' idea, because he doesn't have T's hands or agility. He's not as Santana Moss on-field fast either.

The more sturdily built Joey has had a long time groin pull issue, and even the Adonis TO loses time to that injury.

Still, it remains to be seen just how 'fragile' Holmes is. Will he suffer the recurring hammies Terry did early in is career? Is he brittle boned? Or are the nervous nellies in front offices going to let/make him slide, forgetting it's usually luck, or the lack thereof, that sits a stud the size of Braylon Edwards for his rookie year?

Holmes probably is what someone said in this thread..a complimentary #2, but my guess is he can also be a high impact player in the right environment. I sure wouldn't shy away from him in favor of any bigger galoot who has one tenth his abiity to separate.

scottsp

Reaction score
There's nothing private about it. It's been a real concern.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I don't have the feeling wide receiver is our first round agenda at this point.

If it turned out to be so, Santonio Holmes is the only wideout I'd want.

We will almost certainly try to trade down and probably look to add the missing piece we need at outside linebacker, IMO.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If they were going wr in the first round the only name I want to hear is Chad Jackson. I would rather they go Lawson or Wimbley, with a possible trade down.

ravidubey

Reaction score
People get too caught up in measurables. Holmes was productive against good competition and that matters more than how high he can jump in February in Indianapolis. The question is whether he's Terry Glenn or Desmond Howard, and no one knows the answer.

When was the last "sure thing" at WR in the first or any round? Braylon Edwards was the 3rd pick overall-- what did he do last year besides get injured and drive the more productive Antonio Bryant out of town? He could be the next Michael Irvin... or the next Michael Westbrook.

In 1996 Keyshawn Johnson became the most expensive possession WR in NFL history, 88 picks and nearly four rounds later the best WR in the draft, Terrell Owens, was taken. In that same draft Eddie Kennison was taken ahead of Marvin Harrison and busted on three teams before settling down as a Chief; Harrison became one of the most prolific WR's in history. Who knows?

scottsp

Reaction score
I don't think people are gettting too up in arms over measurables here. This, to me, would be a case of taking him vs. not taking him at 18. And given what else may be on the board at that point, a WR of that size is not something I feel we'd be getting good value with.

Holmes may turn out to be a quality wideout in this league. Indictments regarding his size only speak to where he might be taken, IMO.

MiStar

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Holmes didn't miss a collegiate game for which he was active

How could you possibly infer that someone is fragile, when they have never missed a game due to injury? Not to mention that he breaks more tackles and does a better job of blocking downfield than Chad Jackson or any other high profile reciever in this draft.

What a B.S. article.

Pokes28

Reaction score
It isn't BS if the scouts really are talking about a potential durability issue. Now, you can say that if the scouts are saying this that they are wrong, but that isn't the fault of the reporter.

But there are no WRs worthy of a first round pick in this year's draft.

If we take Chad Jackson I think I'll vomit.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh