NFL signs new $110 Billion deal with Networks and Amazon

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
But either way, we are discussing the millionaires here that hold out because they believe they are worth millions more. It is greed and there is no getting around this.
I love when people declare their position as the only position possible. :muttley:

Their employer makes billions off their labor. The notion that the players are "greedy" for wanting their share of it sounds like an envious person. What someone "needs" in your opinion isn't an argument. It's petty jealousy.

The NFL makes billions because of the players. No one buys a ticket to watch the owners. Players should absolutely be paid well.

Aulac

Reaction score
Each teams gets in excess of 330M of tv money EVERY YEAR. So stop being pro ownership when players want to get paid. If anything, we should be anti-salary cap.

Nope I'll always be pro-owner, without owner, there would be no sport. And some of the money the owners makes goes back into the sport while money that athletes makes goes into their own pocket and doesn't benefit the sport as a whole. In fact athletes make far too much money, a deducation is what I would advocate. All they do is play sport, no one in sport should get this much money. A few millions top.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
I understand the NFL is still a huge draw, but networks make money on ads and the value of ad time is based on ratings. If ratings are down you can bet the networks are not going to be able to charge more for TV time than they charged when ads are up. The networks may have gotten too far over their skis on this deal, but we will see. If ratings continue to drop I suspect some network execs will have some "splaining" to do.

Consider the notion that ratings for NFL games were down while the country was partially, or mostly, locked down because of the pandemic. People were stuck in their homes and yet they still did no turn on football games. Should the NFL be worried this will become a trend? Should the networks?
The contracts must have stipulations or this deal could signify a huge blow to professional sports in general.

tico

Reaction score
So fans will be forced to sign up for Amazon Prime to watch games. other than the "select" games NFLN will air. This is BS. It is not like ST for games outside of your market.

I guess Disney paid the price. Especially if ESPN Plus gets the ST package fro DTV. Then they can have people sign up for their pay per view site, then pay a huge price for ST.

This entire deal is a set back IMO.
Yeah but DirectTV is overpriced garbage now. Hate their service and speaky no English customer service. My history 2000 to 2020 I pulled the plug and have Hulu.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but DirectTV is overpriced garbage now. Hate their service and speaky no English customer service. My history 2000 to 2020 I pulled the plug and have Hulu.

Looking into pulling the plug also. DTV customer service is the worst. Even if you get one from the US, such as I did in 2014, I wanted to make a change, and she insulted me, basically saying I was stupid. Becasue I wanted to go to a lower plan. So I cancelled everything. I am back with them, only because AT&T basically forced me to go back. Now DTV is be dumped by AT&T, or being spun off to its own company again. And are losing the NFL ST, as it will eventually go to ESPN+ from what I read.

Which I do not really like AT&T either. So time to switch or cut.
I had NFL ST from 97 to 2014, skipped 2 or 3 years in there somewhere though. Then had it free for 2016, 2018, and 2020 seasons.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love when people declare their position as the only position possible. :muttley:

Their employer makes billions off their labor. The notion that the players are "greedy" for wanting their share of it sounds like an envious person. What someone "needs" in your opinion isn't an argument. It's petty jealousy.

The NFL makes billions because of the players. No one buys a ticket to watch the owners. Players should absolutely be paid well.
The owners used to pay them like crap. They could again. But there’s simply too much money not to pay them more.

Some fans are so hypocritical. Fans are the reason there’s so much money . But are fussy about who gets it. It’s prejudice and more.

erod

Reaction score
The owners used to pay them like crap. They could again. But there’s simply too much money not to pay them more.

Some fans are so hypocritical. Fans are the reason there’s so much money . But are fussy about who gets it. It’s prejudice and more.
Players should be paid what the market bears.

But these salaries have ruined the sport because it's no longer about winning like it used to be. Players only really care about money.

Both statements can be true.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Players should be paid what the market bears.

But these salaries have ruined the sport because it's no longer about winning like it used to be. Players only really care about money.

Both statements can be true.
You don’t think the owners don’t care about the money too, c’mon E. And I agree. Players should earn what market will bear.

Everyone cares about the money first. Winning comes second.

In the old days winning was needed if you wanted to make more money including playoff money and endorsements.

Playoff money doesn’t pay these stars crap. There’s no incentive to win. That’s not the players fault.

The owners have the fix in. Every team making money regardless results on the field. We can thank Jethro for his contributions. He didn’t want revenue directly related to success as it had been before.

Last edited:

Jake0

Reaction score
You don't actually need Amazon prime to watch Thursday Night Football. It's broadcast for free on Twitch, the online streaming platform that Amazon bought out and is starting to expand. Half the TNF games the past few seasons have been there if you didn't notice. If you can browse to the zone, you can watch TNF, pretty much it.

erod

Reaction score
You don’t think the owners don’t care about the money too, c’mon E. And I agree. Players should earn what market will bear.

In the old days winning was needed if you wanted to make more money including playoff money and endorsements.

Playoff money doesn’t pay these stars crap. There’s no incentive to win. That’s not the players fault.

The owners have the fix in. Every team making money regardless results on the field. We can thank Jethro for his contributions. He didn’t want revenue directly related to success as it had been before.
I understand the situation. I'm just keenly aware that players are only individual brands and businesses now, and that takes precedence over all.

Roger and Drew still can barely speak to the Commanders players of the 70s. They genuinely hate each other. It wasn't kumbaya after game as it is today. It was about the game then more than anything.

It's just not like that anymore, and that's a big reason I don't really give a flip beyond my history as a fan. I still like the NFL and college football, but I've completely dumped the NBA and major league baseball. I used to watch everything.

It's also why young people don't watch sports anymore. The whole thing is circling the drain.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Right? As if owners hate the green, yucky stuff. Notice that no one cares how owners used to pay players crap. Players just banded together to get their share, following the owners lead. But of course no one cares about the history, only that players are too uppity now. The owners made it that way, yet are the ones defended when players try to get all they can like owners did. What's harder for fans to do now is look down on players. That's why they liked the old system. Change happens though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right? As if owners hate the green, yucky stuff. Notice that no one cares how owners used to pay players crap. Players just banded together to get their share, following the owners lead. But of course no one cares about the history, only that players are too uppity now. The owners made it that way, yet are the ones defended when players try to get all they can like owners did. What's harder for fans to do now is look down on players. That's why they liked the old system. Change happens though.
We have fans that view players as hurting the Cap with their greed for bigger salaries. But who created the Cap? The owners.

Ive maintained the Cap should be abolished. What do you think the owners want? And why they really don’t care as much about winning.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I could care less how much the league, owners, players make as long as it’s enough so I can keep watching football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I recommend everyone get on the payroll . I started investing in Sponsors who have increased their value with involvement with the NFL.

My stockbroker years ago suggested to invest in products I consume. So when I became frustrated with the Cowboys larger priority in revenue than winning I decided I wanted to benefit as well.

Nike, Verizon, InBev-Anhueser Busch top 3

Last edited: