Twitter: NFL: This week in NFL history, Jimmy Johnson resigned as Cowboys HC

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Passion here for history ( all kind lol).....remember your first reaction hearing/reading the news? Total shock here, remember driving 40 miles to a good friend's house just to clear my head.

https://www.nfl.com/news/this-week-...on-resigns-as-cowboys-he?campaign=Twitter_atn

This Week in NFL History: March 29 to April 4; Jimmy Johnson resigns as Cowboys head coach
Published: Mar 28, 2021 at 08:30 AM
b6ofkoxxfxfogfjc1oyp.png

NFL Research
Welcome to This Week in NFL History! Every week, the Research team will spotlight the anniversaries of notable events and birthdays.

March 29

-- In 1977, the NFL adopted a 16-game regular season, 4-game preseason, and added a 2nd Wild Card team to the playoffs (all changes began with 1978 season)

-- HOF Jimmy Johnson resigned as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1994

• 44-36 W-L in 5 seasons as DAL HC & 2-time Super Bowl Champion (Won Super Bowls XXVII & XXVIII to conclude 1992 & 1993 seasons)
-- WR Dez Bryant held a separate workout for scouts after missing the NFL Scouting Combine & Oklahoma State's Pro day with a hamstring injury in 2010

• Ran 40-yard dash times of 4.52, 4.68 (into the wind), and then 4.52 again
  • Dined with Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones the day after his workout & Jones was quoted saying "I just don't want to be sitting there on draft day with a great opportunity, and not having really done what we ought to have been doing, which is know everything about him."
  • Selected 24th overall by the Cowboys in the 2010 NFL Draft
  • Led all WRs in the NFL in total TDs (75) when playing for the Cowboys from 2010-2017
Read More

Last edited by a moderator:

aria

Reaction score
Well this is a depressing way to start off the week. It’s all food though, it gets me prepared for what every Monday will feel like during the regular season :laugh:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry hates it, but Jimmy is the reason for that dynasty and everyone knows it.

Jerry has never and will never get over that, and that kinda makes me happy for the complete lack of awareness Jerry has had the last quarter of a century.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Passion here for history ( all kind lol).....remember your first reaction hearing/reading the news? Total shock here, remember driving 40 miles to a good friend's house just to clear my head.

https://www.nfl.com/news/this-week-...on-resigns-as-cowboys-he?campaign=Twitter_atn

This Week in NFL History: March 29 to April 4; Jimmy Johnson resigns as Cowboys head coach
Published: Mar 28, 2021 at 08:30 AM
b6ofkoxxfxfogfjc1oyp.png

NFL Research
Welcome to This Week in NFL History! Every week, the Research team will spotlight the anniversaries of notable events and birthdays.

March 29

-- In 1977, the NFL adopted a 16-game regular season, 4-game preseason, and added a 2nd Wild Card team to the playoffs (all changes began with 1978 season)

-- HOF Jimmy Johnson resigned as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1994

• 44-36 W-L in 5 seasons as DAL HC & 2-time Super Bowl Champion (Won Super Bowls XXVII & XXVIII to conclude 1992 & 1993 seasons)
-- WR Dez Bryant held a separate workout for scouts after missing the NFL Scouting Combine & Oklahoma State's Pro day with a hamstring injury in 2010

• Ran 40-yard dash times of 4.52, 4.68 (into the wind), and then 4.52 again
  • Dined with Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones the day after his workout & Jones was quoted saying "I just don't want to be sitting there on draft day with a great opportunity, and not having really done what we ought to have been doing, which is know everything about him."
  • Selected 24th overall by the Cowboys in the 2010 NFL Draft
  • Led all WRs in the NFL in total TDs (75) when playing for the Cowboys from 2010-2017
Read More

Always gotta love the reminder that Jerry chose his ego over the team. Here we are 26 years later.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
As weird as it sounds to say, Jimmy Johnsons success was the worst thing to ever happen to this organization.

Western

Reaction score
Jimmy's take on Jerry's deceptive and fraudulent claim that Jerry was the GM while Jimmy was head coach:

“That is completely a bunch of crock,”
Johnson said. “Jerry started putting all those titles on himself after I left. He didn’t call himself general manager and president and all that stuff when I was there. He was just the owner. Because it was in my contract that I had total responsibility for all football decisions. It was in my contract, and he didn’t allow anybody to have that in their contract after I left.”

Johnson says that he takes more pride in what he did as the Cowboys’ general manager than in what he did as the Cowboys’ head coach.

“I was the personnel director there with the Cowboys,” Johnson said. “My pride was collecting the talent and putting together the team that won the Super Bowls (including Super Bowl XXX).”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/07/jimmy-johnson-calls-jerry-jones-g-m-claims-a-crock/

Jerry has been a complete failure for the last 27 years.

The fact is that Jerry has been riding on Jimmy's coattails for the last 27 years.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
As weird as it sounds to say, Jimmy Johnsons success was the worst thing to ever happen to this organization.
I'd rather have those memories as oppose to not having them. So the worst thing to ever happen to this organization was and is Jerry's ego, IMO. Because every horrible decision he's made has his ego attached to it.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Hearing that news shocked me to my core. I couldn't wrap my head around why such a successful tandem of Jerry and Jimmy would deteriorate so much as to come to that.

Looking back, I totally understand why.
Jerry Jones wants to be the only person responsible for the cowboys winning and doesn't want to share.

Meanwhile, every cowboys fan has to suffer.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Both he and Jerry’s ego cost us a Super Bowl in 1994.

Who knows how many championships Jimmy could have won had he stayed? We could have been the Patriots before the Patriots.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wanting Jimmy Johnson gone, not talking Johnson into staying and Jerry Jones believing his contributions separately were more valuable than the combined efforts of both men are all crystal clear examples of narcissism. Yet, it is going on three decades later and some people still think Jones' strongest motivation is greed. Only the breakup of a super-successful partnership between Johnson and Jones is more sad.