Twitter: NFL: This week in NFL history, Jimmy Johnson resigned as Cowboys HC

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this cost us fans was the possible 4 in a row and uncontested GOAT team title. But this was inevitable from the beginning.

Johnson was not going to be away from the sea for over 5 years and Booger didn't have the ego to share credit. Johnson was already talking to JAX about running that team. And he would have been more successful there than in MIA with a scared cow QB.

The fact that Johnson made the HOF before, and in spite of, not making the ROH shows just want a petty pos Booger is. He's not man enough to recognize the man that made all of this possible. Think Booger even had the staying power of Bright without that unprecedented turnaround? Most fans didn't hate Bright, Booger wanted to make them puke.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Soon Barry Switzer would be hired (BARRY SWITZER?!) and I immediately began to question the horse sense of this Jones fellow.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Passion here for history ( all kind lol).....remember your first reaction hearing/reading the news? Total shock here, remember driving 40 miles to a good friend's house just to clear my head.

https://www.nfl.com/news/this-week-...on-resigns-as-cowboys-he?campaign=Twitter_atn

This Week in NFL History: March 29 to April 4; Jimmy Johnson resigns as Cowboys head coach
Published: Mar 28, 2021 at 08:30 AM
b6ofkoxxfxfogfjc1oyp.png

NFL Research
Welcome to This Week in NFL History! Every week, the Research team will spotlight the anniversaries of notable events and birthdays.

March 29

-- In 1977, the NFL adopted a 16-game regular season, 4-game preseason, and added a 2nd Wild Card team to the playoffs (all changes began with 1978 season)

-- HOF Jimmy Johnson resigned as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1994

• 44-36 W-L in 5 seasons as DAL HC & 2-time Super Bowl Champion (Won Super Bowls XXVII & XXVIII to conclude 1992 & 1993 seasons)
-- WR Dez Bryant held a separate workout for scouts after missing the NFL Scouting Combine & Oklahoma State's Pro day with a hamstring injury in 2010

• Ran 40-yard dash times of 4.52, 4.68 (into the wind), and then 4.52 again
  • Dined with Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones the day after his workout & Jones was quoted saying "I just don't want to be sitting there on draft day with a great opportunity, and not having really done what we ought to have been doing, which is know everything about him."
  • Selected 24th overall by the Cowboys in the 2010 NFL Draft
  • Led all WRs in the NFL in total TDs (75) when playing for the Cowboys from 2010-2017
Read More

giphy.gif

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Nate Newton
Mark Tuinei
Ken Norton Jr.
Kevin Gogan
Michael Irvin
Jim Jeffcoat
Bill Bates
Herschel

If you're wondering what this is.. it's the list of future pro bowl players who were on the roster when Jimmy got to Dallas.

Emmitt
Troy
Stepnoski
Moose
Big E
Woody
Russell Maryland
Lett

That's the list of Jimmy's pro bowl draftees.

Novacek
Haley

This is the list of pro bowlers acquired through trade/FA.

So Jimmy inherited 8, drafted 8 and traded for 2. Not bad. Given the number of picks he got out of the Herschel trade he had a lot of picks to work with. 15 in 1989, 2 in the supplemental draft, 6 in 1990, 20 in 1991 and 15 in 1992. 58 picks in 4 years.. Which is double what they do now. I would think he was a complete boob not to hit on some of those picks.

Jimmy's memory of his greatness is like most people.. The older he gets, the better he was. Her is also talking out his arse with all the "I had full control on football decisions" because he said himself before the 1989 draft that he didn't want to draft Troy Aikman because "He never won anything in college." That's why he went and got Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft. He didn't believe in Troy.. Jerry overruled him and drafted Troy.. and years later Jimmy presents it as "Troy was a no brainer pick." Yeah he was for most people, but not for Jimmy. And anybody that believes Jimmy negotiated the Herschel deal with the Vikings or the trade to acquire Haley without Jerry's involvement I have some beachfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. People are free to believe what they want.. but that doesn't make it true. I believe Jerry picked Haley up at the airport when he arrived in Dallas. Ironically I was at Ronnie Lott's nightclub with coworkers the night the trade went down and Charles was there drunk and "I'm free" making a complete anus of himself. So much so that Ronnie Lott and Keena Turner (Lott's co-owner) had to be called to the club to calm him down and keep him from starting fights with all the guys in the club because he was feelin up all the girls there. But I digress.

I will go to my grave believing that Jimmy and Jerry succeeded together because they complemented one another perfectly. One needed the other to fill in the holes in himself. That's why neither has never come close to the same level of greatness without the other. But with two egos of that size, their breakup was inevitable. Crying over it 30 years later really makes no sense to me. But a lot of things people whine about makes no sense to me..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jimmy's take on Jerry's deceptive and fraudulent claim that Jerry was the GM while Jimmy was head coach:
“That is completely a bunch of crock,” Johnson said. “Jerry started putting all those titles on himself after I left. He didn’t call himself general manager and president and all that stuff when I was there. He was just the owner. Because it was in my contract that I had total responsibility for all football decisions. It was in my contract, and he didn’t allow anybody to have that in their contract after I left.”

Johnson says that he takes more pride in what he did as the Cowboys’ general manager than in what he did as the Cowboys’ head coach. “I was the personnel director there with the Cowboys,” Johnson said. “My pride was collecting the talent and putting together the team that won the Super Bowls (including Super Bowl XXX).”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/07/jimmy-johnson-calls-jerry-jones-g-m-claims-a-crock/

Jerry has been a complete failure for the last 27 years.

The fact is that Jerry has been riding on Jimmy's coattails for the last 27 years.

Jimmy did 3 jobs, now consisting of Jerry, Stephen, and the coach du jour who can only offer opinions on personnel.

He did more in 5 years than those jokers have done in 25, and they'll spend the rest of their lives trying to match him.

Mannix

Reaction score
-------Jerry hates it, but Jimmy is the reason for that dynasty and everyone knows it.

That is why there is NO WAY he puts Jimmy in the ROH.....UNLESS, Dallas suddenly lucks into a great season real soon and Booger's popularity rebounds.....the ONLY reason Booger is resists the ROH induction, is to spare himself the absolute embarrassment of 100,000+ fans going Ape S crazy when Jimmy is introduced down on the field.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So, this is the 27th anniversary of his resignation?

let me mark my calendar for next year so we can talk about 28!