Twitter: NFL to add another Christmas Day game this year

Motorola

Reaction score
This is just smart business but my goodness, no respect for the NBA (lol). Don't be surprised if this becomes a regular tradition like T'giving Day games.
Adam Silver cannot be happy about this.
Since its inaugural season (1946-47), the NBA has always had games on Christmas; and since 2008, they've put on the 5-game nationally televised slate that had the games mostly starting and ending one right after from early afternoon through past midnight.
Now the NFL wants to horn in on their longstanding holiday broadcast tradition.
Likely some resentment from the Association's brass surfaces now, and again as Christmas draws near later this year.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love it.

I love seeing all the melt downs over every bit of news this time of the year.
I mean everything announced most everyone hates.
:lmao:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the teams that get the Christmas Day game, will get 10 or 11 days rest going into the last 2 weeks of the season. Depending if they play on a Saturday or Sunday the next game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Since its inaugural season (1946-47), the NBA has always had games on Christmas; and since 2008, they've put on the 5-game nationally televised slate that had the games mostly starting and ending one right after from early afternoon through past midnight.
Now the NFL wants to horn in on their longstanding holiday broadcast tradition.
Likely some resentment from the Association's brass surfaces now, and again when as Christmas draws near later this year.
+1......but this doesn't happen w/o the networks also. (lol)

blueblood70

Reaction score
It definitely will be the Cowboys. Of course, they will play a red hot team. On the road. Prime time audience. Makes for an appetizing slaughter on national TV.
How are they supposed to assume who the red hot team is gonna be when they put this on the schedule ?? are you telling me it's going to be a flex schedule ,where they flex somebody on Christmas?? I doubt that ,

so, they're not gonna know what the matchups going to be like other than hope that it's a good match up but you're saying that they already know ahead who the red hot teams going to be??? Somehow they see the future??lol :facepalm: :popcorn:

Motorola

Reaction score
So the teams that get the Christmas Day game, will get 10 or 11 days rest going into the last 2 weeks of the season. Depending if they play on a Saturday or Sunday the next game.
Was thinking about that also.
So usually the NFL December Saturday games start on the month's third weekend, so it would be-

Week 16: Th 12/19, Sa-Su 12/21-22, Mo 12/23

Week 17: We 12/25, Th 12/26, Sa-Su 12/28-29, Mo 12/30

Week 18:Sa-Sun 01/4-5

Wildcard: Sa 01/11, Su 01/12, Mo 01/13

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

lol! I would have the follow-up question: "Commissioner, does that mean there will be future injury concerns every year Christmas falls on a Wednesday?"

Sure, it will be a rare occurrence when the turnaround is four days but exceptions will be made if the league warrants it--just like this holiday exception.

What happens when the next blizzard hits Buffalo and possibly creates a four-day turnaround? How will Goodell answer? "Blizzards do not usually hit on regular gamedays." Well duh.

Bagman

Reaction score
How are they supposed to assume who the red hot team is gonna be when they put this on the schedule ?? are you telling me it's going to be a flex schedule ,where they flex somebody on Christmas?? I doubt that ,

so, they're not gonna know what the matchups going to be like other than hope that it's a good match up but you're saying that they already know ahead who the red hot teams going to be??? Somehow they see the future??lol :facepalm: :popcorn:
Im not advocating any conspiracy theories. Of course it's too early to assume "hot" teams. I'm just saying, with Dallas' luck, they'll get a hot team on their field on Christmas Day. And 75% of the TV audience will be hoping they get crushed.