NFL Trades--what a big joke!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
The NFL should immediately revisit the rule for having such an early trading deadline?

Why is the deadline so early in the season? Tuesday, 18 Oct @ 12 midnight is the trading deadline (not verified--I could be wrong).

Anyhow, it would be nice for the Cowboys to have time to work out a fair trade for a decent LT with a team who has someone who is good they really do not need.

The point is .........the NFL trading deadline is a JOKE imo!:eek::

Trip

Reaction score
Or a team that is hanging it up for the year and wants draft picks like Houston. Not sure I would want anyone on their line, but it's impossible for teams to trade good players for draft picks, because the team that trades the player is hit with the signing bonus cap charge. This has to be looked at.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Trip said:
Or a team that is hanging it up for the year and wants draft picks like Houston. Not sure I would want anyone on their line, but it's impossible for teams to trade good players for draft picks, because the team that trades the player is hit with the signing bonus cap charge. This has to be looked at.

Good point, however, you are correct......Houston is the last place to go for OL help!

mmurray21

Reaction score
I actually like it. Football is a true team sport. You can't bring a guy in and the next day he is productive anyway. You get your team set early. Injuries happen.

Its not like baseball where you are making trades up to 15 minutes before your first playoff game.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
mmurray21 said:
I actually like it. Football is a true team sport. You can't bring a guy in and the next day he is productive anyway. You get your team set early. Injuries happen.

Its not like baseball where you are making trades up to 15 minutes before your first playoff game.

Then our Cowboys took a very big chance going into the season with only 3 tackles and Flozel the only proven one of the bunch--right?

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
How serious were the thoughts about Fonoti? Is that just wishful thinking from fans, or is it a true possibilty?

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
I think the trading deadline should end right before the thanksgiving game.

Trip

Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
How serious were the thoughts about Fonoti? Is that just wishful thinking from fans, or is it a true possibilty?

Probably wishful thinking IMO. they would take about a $4 mil cap hit if they were to trade him, for a player they wouldn't have anymore. Essentially they would be paying the signing bonus for one of our players, so it would have to be pretty sweet pot for them... at least a 2nd round pick, maybe 1st.... just guessing, but that may even be wishful thinking on my part.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
NFL playbook: Trade deadline

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

The NFL's trade deadline is at 4 p.m. Tuesday and -- and so what?

It's one of the most meaningless deadlines in any sport. The NFL's trade market has been busier in recent years in the offseason -- including teams swapping high-profile players -- but don't expect much to happen between now and Tuesday.

Most NFL trades are made around draft time and late in training camp. But the trade deadline historically comes after the sixth week of the season, with little movement.

In 2004, three trades were made before the deadline. Oakland shipped wide receiver Jerry Rice to Seattle. Cleveland sent wide receiver Quincy Morgan to Dallas for wide receiver Antonio Bryant. And Tampa Bay sent wide receiver Keenan McCardell to San Diego for two draft picks.

In 2003, no trades were made before the deadline.

Teams are more willing to fill needs and add depth by signing free agents who were cut late in training camp or during the season than they are by trading.

"It's not like basketball and baseball and the other sports," Lions coach Steve Mariucci said. "It is absolutely not like that. To trade players for players, there are some salary-cap ramifications that you have to consider. It's just too complicated."

There have been suggestions to have a second trading period closer to the end of the season -- with four or five games left -- so teams can fill voids created by injuries. But that has never been considered seriously. The NFL doesn't want playoff contenders to load up their roster at the end of the season, or to have teams out of contention shave money off their salary cap by dealing players.

"If the trade deadline is late, you're going to see playoff contenders wheeling and dealing, just to get it done," Mariucci said.

montgod

Reaction score
Fonoti would be a good addition. However, he is a guard, not a tackle so there still would be some switching around going on.

Realistically, I see the Boys resigning someone familiar like Vollers.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I am really suprised that Vollers hasnt been signed. He for sure would come in and start at LT this Sunday.

montgod

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
I am really suprised that Vollers hasnt been signed. He for sure would come in and start at LT this Sunday.

Forgot that he had an injury settlement which by NFL rules means he can't be resigned by the Cowboys till week 10. Guess we have to just wait and see....what Parcells does.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
montgod said:
Forgot that he had an injury settlement which by NFL rules means he can't be resigned by the Cowboys till week 10. Guess we have to just wait and see....what Parcells does.

I forgot too. Ross Verba is still out there I believe.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the salary cap rules currently in place it would not be any easier to make a trade if the deadline was later in the year. In season trades just don't happen.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
In 2004, three trades were made before the deadline. Oakland shipped wide receiver Jerry Rice to Seattle. Cleveland sent wide receiver Quincy Morgan to Dallas for wide receiver Antonio Bryant. And Tampa Bay sent wide receiver Keenan McCardell to San Diego for two draft picks.

If this is the best we can do...Back away from the trade table! :D

Hiero

Reaction score
ya i agree, a lot of teams that are out of the playoff race and possibly having a top 10 pick, would love to trade some players i am sure. The teams in the playoff race would love to get some guys as well, why they have the deadline so early i have no idea. they should move it back to week 10 at least.
CrazyCowboy said:
The NFL should immediately revisit the rule for having such an early trading deadline?

Why is the deadline so early in the season? Tuesday, 18 Oct @ 12 midnight is the trading deadline (not verified--I could be wrong).

Anyhow, it would be nice for the Cowboys to have time to work out a fair trade for a decent LT with a team who has someone who is good they really do not need.

The point is .........the NFL trading deadline is a JOKE imo!:eek::