News: NFL Twitter Roasts Cowboys for Final Play Call Vs. 49ers

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why do they have no blockers infront of Dak, just Zeke snapping the ball?

I get that its a desperation play and there is a 99.9% chance it doesnt work, but I am trying to understand why you would draw up a play like that?

I mean, Zeke gets instantly bulldozed and another defender has a clean path straight to your QB. I was thinking maybe like throw a screen to one side and then lateral it back like the Titans did to the Bills that one time in a playoff game. Maybe that was what they were thinking:huh:

zeke21

Reaction score
They had to try something unconventional. What else was goig to work? Dak sure the heck wasn't going to toss it to the end zone for some miracle play.
I'd actually, truly, love to see what the play design actually was.. because it looked really bad. Like I don't even see a way that works. A quick throw under to your smallest guy.. with the QB under pressure because your RB is playing centre and does a lousy snap and then gets pancaked?? Like.. if you look at the field even when Turpin receives it.. there is not wave of runners or blockers.. it is almost like they were expecting Turpin to break 9 tackles and run 80 yards for a TD?!! It was ugly.. whatever it was.

Cmac

Reaction score
That would be the play that gets Big Mike fired......coaches huddled for that mess. It was SNL-type stuff. KMoore and Philbin should be available for any team this morning.

Cmac

Reaction score

I get that its a desperation play and there is a 99.9% chance it doesnt work, but I am trying to understand why you would draw up a play like that?

I mean, Zeke gets instantly bulldozed and another defender has a clean path straight to your QB. I was thinking maybe like throw a screen to one side and then lateral it back like the Titans did to the Bills that one time in a playoff game. Maybe that was what they were thinking:huh:
KMoore saw a 6 year old run through his peers on Youtube. C'mon Man......it was so embarassing, it was too funny.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Naked center plays are bad design.

Hail Mary is a better bet because you might either get lucky with the catch or draw a P.I.

Actually, scratch that last part. Dallas won't get that call, but the strategy still applies for other teams.

zeke21

Reaction score
Naked center plays are bad design.

Hail Mary is a better bet because you might either get lucky with the catch or draw a P.I.

Actually, scratch that last part. Dallas won't get that call, but the strategy still applies for other teams.
I think this is where the shultz moment REALLY hurt.. I don't think Dak has the arm to launch from there.. so it took the hail mary out of it.

Shultz puts his foot down.. and then 100% that is the play. I still think you either go with a formation screen and try to get enough blockers.. or a hook and ladder.. or a go route hail mary and hope for PI so that you get another shot.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
We're like the nfl's comedy team. All I can do is smh and say well Jerry has his headlines and media attention he craves.

Wizarus

Reaction score
I'm honestly more upset by how we got to that point. 3 and out followed up by that terrible last drive.

EST_1986

Reaction score

Kellen the idiot, sets up a long developing play down field with one lineman who turns out to be the starting running back

zeke21

Reaction score
I'm honestly more upset by how we got to that point. 3 and out followed up by that terrible last drive.
The last play was so bad.. that it will get the laughs.. but that entire last 'drive' (and I use that term very loosely) was an epic fail. Like all time bad drives.

You have 42 seconds on the clock. Now you might think.. that isn't enough time. Remember that Manning drove 70 yards in 19 seconds in 2007. Rodgers has had two game winning drives against us that were both with less than a minute when he gained possession. 42 seconds is actually long enough.

The key is to maximise your time. You want short, quick decisions. If the pass isn't there.. if the play isn't there.. then you toss that ball out and save the clock.

So.. our first play.. from the 10 yard line.. we have Dak take a deep drop back.. and play a long developing pair of flare routes.. Dak flushes out but is now in the end zone.. he panics and can't give the safety so he tucks the ball and makes a spin move before tossing it out of bounds. So this play had zero chance of success.. and instead we a) nearly lost the game there and then with a safety and b) it took 10 seconds (or almost a quarter) of the time off the clock to achieve nothing.. no yards.. nothing. This is an horrendous play call and bad play by the QB. This needed to be a quick out route or wide screen. You needed to gain 5-10 yards and use around 5 seconds before stopping the clock out of bounds. So we lost 5 seconds and 10 yards on this stupid play.

second play.. Dak drops back again.. waits in the pocket.. and then hits the flat out to shultz.. who allows the defender to make contact backwards and the clock is running. We chew 8 seconds of game clock to hit a 9 yard out route. Standard play call but Dak needs to have a better clock in his head. He needs to count to four and release the ball on the four count. That gives him time for 3 progressions.. look at the your left go runner, right go runner and then lock in your check down/out route and hit it. Shultz is just a dumb dumb play. Dak cost us about 4 seconds, Shultz cost us about an extra 9 seconds.

So far.. in two plays. We have used 18 seconds and gained 10 yards. Remember how I mentioned that Manning drove his team 70 yards in 19 seconds? Yeah. So far in those two plays we have wasted about 18 seconds for no reason other than stupidity.. that is almost half our time.. wasted for no purpose or gain.

We elect not to clock the ball and instead run our third play. Dak never sets his feet, SF drop off the blitz.. and allow Dak to chew the seconds.. he misses gallup who had separation. We again have burned 9 seconds on a play. We now have around 19 seconds left. This is just a bad play by Dak.. this could have been a legacy builder pass.. it could have been the highlight reel. It could have made the last two plays really interesting. I can't call these wasted seconds though as the play was right.. just the execution failed.

We run our fourth play.. which is very similar to the second play.. dak drops back and waits, and holds.. before finally going to shutlz on the open out route. The catch is made with 5 seconds on the clock. The play is reviewed.. and shultz never touched both feet. The clock stops and they give us an extra second but we are still on 80 yards away. Again Dak just holds the ball far too long and has no game awareness. Shultz with mistake 2 and just woeful.

We only have time for 1 play.. and we run the stupidest looking play you could imagine.

So.. it probably won't ever be analysed properly.. but the last drive highlights why Dak is not a 40M QB.. I'm not saying he should have won the game in that 42 seconds.. far from it.. it would have been a miracle.. but the fact is.. he didn't even give us a shot. He had no ability to understand the situation and then execute. It showed he has not learnt a single thing about clock management since the loss last year. That is why he is not elite.

I'm not sure even Tom Brady could have achieved that last drive.. but I feel pretty confident to say he would have given it a much better crack.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'd actually, truly, love to see what the play design actually was.. because it looked really bad. Like I don't even see a way that works. A quick throw under to your smallest guy.. with the QB under pressure because your RB is playing centre and does a lousy snap and then gets pancaked?? Like.. if you look at the field even when Turpin receives it.. there is not wave of runners or blockers.. it is almost like they were expecting Turpin to break 9 tackles and run 80 yards for a TD?!! It was ugly.. whatever it was.
Yeah I would be curious to see it as well. I'm sure they've ran it in practice, and well, it must've worked there. I'm guessing it must've been some hook-and-ladder type play and SF just sniffed it out right away. That stuff can work for you in college football, not so much the pros. lol