NFL: two tripping penalties shouldn’t have been called

Silverz1972

Reaction score
So now what?

do they take the win away from the pats and give it to the cowboys?

both calls changed the game.

the first resulted in the pats only touchdown and the second took away a key first down for the cowboys.

The ref should be fired or fined heavily because it was such a bad call and twice on top of that.

Xeven

Reaction score
Garret should have challenged that last one. Game was near over and we were moving the ball. He had nothing to lose at that point.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And the penalties that are rarely called seem to get called on us. 7 tripping calls all year and we get 2 in one game and both aren’t even close to the intentional motion of tripping anyone. And it’s while we are in the middle of a potential winning drive at the end of the game. I remember another game (maybe a playoff) we were doing well and all the sudden they hit us with a penalty they haven’t called in years. It almost looks like the refs want us to know there being sketchy. Lol. They could just call a holding penalty if they wanted to be sly.
Brice butler. Cant remember the made up penalty they called on him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Brice butler. Cant remember the made up penalty they called on him.

It actually is a penalty but it hadn't been called in years and wasn't called correctly because Butler never entered the huddle (see gif below).

And just like these tripping calls, the league said afterward it was the wrong call..... which ended the Dallas drive by wiping out a 22 yard gain with a 15 yard penalty.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/br...ys-green-bay-packers-penalty-nfc-nfl-playoffs

iu

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I don’t believe in conspiracies.

The refs are incompetent. And the current system as constructed does not allow them to improve and be better at it.

Why are there not more officials on the field to reduce each officials responsibility and what they have to watch?
The average salary for an NFL official is $120K/season. If you added two more per game, over the course of a season, the additional cost would be approx. $61.4M. That's why the league wouldn't add more officials. The almighty dollar speaks volumes. Additionally, assuming the league already utilizes only the best officials available, the additional officials would just be more incompetent than those already at the NFL level.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Even the Patriots fans fully realize they've got the referees in their pockets!
It's hard enough beating them, without the refs joining in on the fray! :omg:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
So now what?

do they take the win away from the pats and give it to the cowboys?

both calls changed the game.

the first resulted in the pats only touchdown and the second took away a key first down for the cowboys.

The ref should be fired or fined heavily because it was such a bad call and twice on top of that.

It's not subject to fine or firing but it goes against their record, so their rating for post season work is reduced. Just a slap on the wrist.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The average salary for an NFL official is $120K/season. If you added two more per game, over the course of a season, the additional cost would be approx. $61.4M. That's why the league wouldn't add more officials. The almighty dollar speaks volumes. Additionally, assuming the league already utilizes only the best officials available, the additional officials would just be more incompetent than those already at the NFL level.

120k and they aren’t even full time
Officials? And they aren’t doing that good or a job?
That’s a problem.

61 mil is a drop in the bucket for the NFL too. Btw. That’s less than 2 mil per team. But could significantly improve the quality of their product.

Even if it’s not adding more officials on the field. I definitely don’t see why they shouldn’t have a team of refs in the office watching all the games in real time and utilizing instant replay to make sure ALL calls are correct. Including BS penalties.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Why isn’t every play reviewable? Those to blatant mistakes should have been fixed quickly during the game. NFL is a joke, but I can’t walk away!
We've seen how well reviewing PI calls has been going. If every penalty is reviewable, games would last 5 hours. The refs absolutely made 2 horrendus calls on those "tripping" penalties, but I don't want games lasting longer than they already do. Yeah, yeah, I know they need to get it right, but coaches would totally abuse the system and challenge every single penalty.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Should officials be removed from a sporting event, for making more than one bad call?

LandryFan

Reaction score
120k and they aren’t even full time
Officials? And they aren’t doing that good or a job?
That’s a problem.

61 mil is a drop in the bucket for the NFL too. Btw. That’s less than 2 mil per team. But could significantly improve the quality of their product.

Even if it’s not adding more officials on the field. I definitely don’t see why they shouldn’t have a team of refs in the office watching all the games in real time and utilizing instant replay to make sure ALL calls are correct. Including BS penalties.
$61M may not seem like a lot for an entity as large as the NFL, but the owners are very protective of their money, even if it's "only" $61M. They have officials that review challenged PI calls now, and refuse to reverse even blatant miscalls. I fail to see how having more review officials reviewing more penalties will improve the product. The officials are a close-knit group who protect their own. JMO.

HungryLion

Reaction score
$61M may not seem like a lot for an entity as large as the NFL, but the owners are very protective of their money, even if it's "only" $61M. They have officials that review challenged PI calls now, and refuse to reverse even blatant miscalls. I fail to see how having more review officials reviewing more penalties will improve the product. The officials are a close-knit group who protect their own. JMO.

So it’s business as usual. Yeah that sounds great.

LandryFan

Reaction score
So it’s business as usual. Yeah that sounds great.
You might be missing my point...I'm not saying business as usual is good, because it's not, it's atrocious. I'm only saying that adding worse incompetence to the existing incompetence would accomplish nothing. Officiating needs an entire housecleaning/overhaul, but we won't see that unless fans actually quit watching the product (in large enough numbers that matter to the NFL). There is a culture in place that has those running the show thinking that if they keep adding "clarity" and new rules to those that have been in place forever, that the product will somehow improve. If the officials were competent, things might improve. They're simply incompetent.