NFLN Top Ten Dallas Cowboys

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Hostile;3438067 said:
That series was so much fun. Thanks bb.

Tom Landry would want the list to be all players. You can bet your butt on that.

10. Wright
9. Renfro
8. Irvin
7. Allen
6. Aikman
5. Dorsett
4. White
3. Smith
2. Lilly
1. Staubach

What's cool is that I got my Dad an autographed Roger Staubach football for Christmas awhile ago, and today I'm giving him an Bob Lilly autographed mini-helmet for Fathers Day. It was great to see those videos today.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3438074 said:
No love for Drew? How can Wright or Renfro possibly be better Cowboys than Drew?

I'm just curious is all. Everyone has their own unique set of standards for what makes certain Cowboys more important and so I'm interested to see what makes you place them higher than Drew.

WRs are just not the most important players on a team. They are exciting but they are nowhere near as important to a team's success as pretty much every other full-time position. On most plays they are decoys at best, especially on the Cowboys who have, until recently, run much more than they throw.

Emmitt Smith was vastly more important to the Cowboys' success in the 90s than Michael Irvin was. For all his excitement and getting the team fired up, Irvin was not the main offensive weapon, Emmitt was. Troy was also more important to the team than Irvin was.

Same goes for Pearson, Dorsett was the main weapon that teams had to try to stop, not Drew.

As for Irvin being our all-time leading receiver, that is only in receptions and yards, not receiving TDs. Bob Hayes still owns that record and he caught less than half the passes that Irvin did.

It is likely that at the rate he is going, Jason Witten will surpass Irvin in receptions in 3 years as he is currently 227 behind him now but he is averaging about 90 receptions a year over the last 3 seasons.

Here is how I would rank the top-15 Cowboys (players) of all-time:

1. Bob Lilly
2. Roger Staubach
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Randy White
5. Larry Allen
6. Troy Aikman
7. Mel Renfro
8. Tony Dorsett
9. Rayfield Wright
10. Bob Hayes
11. Michael Irvin
12. Chuck Howley
13. Don Perkins
14. Drew Pearson
15. Jason Witten

But of course, that is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. :D

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Zaxor;3438155 said:
Thanks a ton BBgun...

a top ten list of cowboy players is just too hard to do...I could build atleast 2 devastating teams that could beat anything else any team could come up with...

for example just skill positions and without using any players now playing

Team A
Staubach
Dorsett
Hayes
Pearson
DuPree
W.Garrison

Team B
Aikman
Moose
Smith
Irvin
Hill
Cosbie

and just for shiites and grins

Team C
Dandy Don
Calvin Hill
Newhouse
Novacek

Team D
Danny White
Herschel Walker
Ron Springs

wow just amazing

Thought I'd help you out a little. :cool:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER;3438227 said:
Thought I'd help you out a little. :cool:

LOL thanks obviously the lack of oxygen is affecting my brain:laugh2:

mmohican29

Reaction score
10. Woodson
09. Allen
08. Witten
07. Pearson
06. Dorsett
05. Aikman
04. Irvin
03. White
02. Smith
01. Staubach

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Watching that Drew Pearson retrospective makes his exclusion from the ROH all the more mystifying and infuriating.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
mmohican29;3438259 said:
10. Woodson
09. Allen
08. Witten
07. Pearson
06. Dorsett
05. Aikman
04. Irvin
03. White
02. Smith
01. Staubach

Bob Lilly would like to have a word with you .. in a dark alley. ;)

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboy greatest players list should always start with Staubach and Lilly. If you add greatest people, then 1 2 3 should be Landry, Staubach, and Lilly

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Zaxor;3438232 said:
LOL thanks obviously the lack of oxygen is affecting my brain:laugh2:

No problem. I'd add RB Don Perkins and WR/TE Frank Clarke in there as well. They were our first real stars on offense in the 60s (along with Meredith).

People overlook Perkins because he played on our early teams that weren't very good but he was! 6 pro-bowls in 8 seasons at a time when the league focused on running much more than passing. He was the 5th all-time leading rusher when he retired but has been overlooked by the HoF voters as well and now has zero chance of ever being inducted.

He is STILL the 3rd leading rusher in Cowboys history behind Emmitt and Dorsett but most Cowboys fans don't even know who he is/was. A great player and a wonderful person as well.

Frank Clarke is 11th in receptions for the Cowboys but he is 6th in yards and 4th in receiving TDs! Another guy younger Cowboys fans never heard of but he was a great player who scored a lot of points for us in those early years. He had 1043 yards and 14 TDs in 1962 and he only played 12 games that year!.

His receiving TD record wasn't broken until Terrell Owens did it a few years ago with 15 (in 16 games). Think about that for a minute... Hayes never scored that many TDs in a season. Pearson didn't, even Michael Irvin didn't and he played in 16 game seasons!

Clarke was a stout guy too at 6'1" 215 lbs but the guy was outstanding for us back in those early days. He averaged over 22 yards per catch a couple of seasons. He scored 50 TDs on only 291 receptions. Compare that with Witten who has 27 TDs on 523 receptions, or nearly half on almost twice as many catches.

For some reason, the pro-bowl selectors back then tended to go by number of receptions rather than average yards or TDs so he was overlooked for some of his best seasons even though he outperformed some of the receivers who were selected to the PB. He was selected as 1st team AP in 1964 when he had 65 receptions but his 1961 & 1962 seasons were better IMO.

Clarke was another outstanding person as well as a great player. He has lived as a live-in "nanny" for the past 27 years, helping other people raise their kids. You can read about it here: http://www.**********.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/062908dnspocowclarke.4374c53.html

Sorry to get on my soapbox but I think these two Cowboys greats deserve to be remembered and recognized by the fans. :starspin

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER;3438269 said:
No problem. I'd add RB Don Perkins and WR/TE Frank Clarke in there as well. They were our first real stars on offense in the 60s (along with Meredith).

People overlook Perkins because he played on our early teams that weren't very good but he was! 6 pro-bowls in 8 seasons at a time when the league focused on running much more than passing. He was the 5th all-time leading rusher when he retired but has been overlooked by the HoF voters as well and now has zero chance of ever being inducted.

He is STILL the 3rd leading rusher in Cowboys history behind Emmitt and Dorsett but most Cowboys fans don't even know who he is/was. A great player and a wonderful person as well.

Frank Clarke is 11th in receptions for the Cowboys but he is 6th in yards and 4th in receiving TDs! Another guy younger Cowboys fans never heard of but he was a great player who scored a lot of points for us in those early years. He had 1043 yards and 14 TDs in 1962 and he only played 12 games that year!.

His receiving TD record wasn't broken until Terrell Owens did it a few years ago with 15 (in 16 games). Think about that for a minute... Hayes never scored that many TDs in a season. Pearson didn't, even Michael Irvin didn't and he played in 16 game seasons!

Clarke was a stout guy too at 6'1" 215 lbs but the guy was outstanding for us back in those early days. He averaged over 22 yards per catch a couple of seasons. He scored 50 TDs on only 291 receptions. Compare that with Witten who has 27 TDs on 523 receptions, or nearly half on almost twice as many catches.

For some reason, the pro-bowl selectors back then tended to go by number of receptions rather than average yards or TDs so he was overlooked for some of his best seasons even though he outperformed some of the receivers who were selected to the PB. He was selected as 1st team AP in 1964 when he had 65 receptions but his 1961 & 1962 seasons were better IMO.

Clarke was another outstanding person as well as a great player. He has lived as a live-in "nanny" for the past 27 years, helping other people raise their kids. You can read about it here: http://www.**********.com/sharedcon...oys/stories/062908dnspocowclarke.4374c53.html

Sorry to get on my soapbox but I think these two Cowboys greats deserve to be remembered and recognized by the fans. :starspin

no doubt Clarke and Perkins are great additions...and obviously in my rush to finish that post I left them out....also there is Preston Person maybe one of the greatest 3rd down backs ever. and if you ask pete gent he had the greatest hands ever :D

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe NFLN has Florio on there.

Crazy how a guy can run a rumor mill, most of which are snagged from other sites, and just weasel his way into a pretty nice position.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
mmohican29;3438259 said:
10. Woodson
09. Allen
08. Witten
07. Pearson
06. Dorsett
05. Aikman
04. Irvin
03. White
02. Smith
01. Staubach

Sorry, a list that doesn't include Lily cannot be taken seriously by ANYONE.:bang2:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
percyhoward;3438280 said:
1966-69 is evidently a very underappreciated era for this franchise.

I agree. Our defense was truly amazing in that span and our offense was so explosive. It's a shame we couldn't seem to win the big games in that timeframe, those players deserved a title.

I still believe that our 1968 team was the best we ever had when compared with the competition and that we would have beaten the Jets in the SB that year. The dump we laid against the Browns in the playoffs broke my heart. :cry2: (Hey, I was 10 at the time.)

10 players from that team were named to the PB or 1st team AP. We were #1 in offense and #2 in defense (the Colts were the opposite, #1 def, #2 off). Several of our 2nd string players would have started on other teams.

In all 3 losses that year (2 in the regular season and 1 in the playoffs) Meredith threw 3 INTs. He had an excellent season but laid a turd in those 3 games, particularly the playoff game.

Our run defense in particular was amazing. We allowed only 2 rushing TDs that year (and 3 in 1969) and 3.2 yards per carry by our opponents. That was in an era when teams ran the ball much more often than they passed.

These kids nowadays don't know what REAL football was like! :geezer: :D

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hostile;3438067 said:
That series was so much fun. Thanks bb.

Tom Landry would want the list to be all players. You can bet your butt on that.

10. Wright
9. Renfro
8. Irvin
7. Allen
6. Aikman
5. Dorsett
4. White
3. Smith
2. Lilly
1. Staubach

Love Landry too, but I have to completely agree. And Meredith would not be in my Top 10 either:

10. Bob Hayes
9. Mel Renfro
8. Larry Allen
7. Troy Aikman
6. Tony Dorsett
5. Mike Irvin
4. Randy White
3. Bob Lily
2. Emmitt Smith
1. Roger Staubach

Rayfield Wright, Chuck Howley, Harvey Martin, Cliff Harris, Drew Pearson, Charles Haley & Erik Williams all deserve Honorable Mentions IMO. Both Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens should be 1st ballot HOFers, but not sure if either makes the Top Ten Greatest Cowboys.

Witten, Ware and likely Romo will break into the top ten someday.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3438074 said:
No love for Drew? How can Wright or Renfro possibly be better Cowboys than Drew?

I'm just curious is all. Everyone has their own unique set of standards for what makes certain Cowboys more important and so I'm interested to see what makes you place them higher than Drew.

I love Drew Pearson, but Mel Renfro was a better athlete and football player. He excelled at safety when brought into the league, and solved a long-standing problem the team had at right corner when he was moved to that position. He shut down the dangerous Paul Warfield in SB VII. He also was an excellent kick and punt returner. 10 Pro Bowls, 5 time All-Pro. Pearson I would argue belongs in the ROH, but doesn't have the record to be in Canton.

It's harder to explain a lineman like Wright since stats on blocks made and sacks prevented aren't as popular as TD's and yardage made, but he was probably the best offensive lineman of his day....(even if I am a Cowboys homer)....and he was named to the NFL All Decade Team of the 1970s.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Man, I don't know Roger Staubach and have never met him, but if he told me to do anything right now, I probably would do it.

BTW, Hos is right when he bags on soccer because it doesn't take much skill like it does to play football. All you have to do is look at Don Meredith. Dude, looks like Dean Martin, rather than a football star, but he had mad skills.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
BAT;3438365 said:
Love Landry too, but I have to completely agree. And Meredith would not be in my Top 10 either:

10. Bob Hayes
9. Mel Renfro
8. Larry Allen
7. Troy Aikman
6. Tony Dorsett
5. Mike Irvin
4. Randy White
3. Bob Lily
2. Emmitt Smith
1. Roger Staubach

Rayfield Wright, Chuck Howley, Harvey Martin, Cliff Harris, Drew Pearson, Charles Haley & Erik Williams all deserve Honorable Mentions IMO. Both Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens should be 1st ballot HOFers, but not sure if either makes the Top Ten Greatest Cowboys.

Witten, Ware and likely Romo will break into the top ten someday.

I agree about Sanders and Owens. Hall of Famers for sure. Great football players for sure. Top 10 Cowboys? Nope. Not with us long enough, and not even during the top portions of their careers. Erik Williams is interesting. Had it not been for his car accident, he might have gone down as the best tackle in the history of the NFL. He was THAT dominant before he got hurt. Plus, he was nasty as hell. Great player.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I love what Dan Reeves said about Bob Lilly.

Dan Reeves said:
Bob didn't have a mean streak in his body. If he were mean, they would have had to outlaw him.