Nice staff Saban is putting together in Miami: Capers to be their Def. Coordinator

jlust22

Reaction score
Ex-Texans coach Capers expected to head to Miami
ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins are expected to name former Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers as their new defensive coordinator, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Richard Smith and Will Muschamp essentially served as the unit's co-coordinators in 2005. Smith had the title of defensive coordinator, while Muschamp's title Assistant Head Coach/Defense.

Recently dismissed as the Texans' head coach, Capers posted an 18-46 record in four seasons (2002-05), including a league-worst 2-14 mark this year. He was 31-35 in four seasons (1995-98) with the Carolina Panthers, and Capers was the first head coach in the history of both teams.

In only the second season of the franchise's existence, Capers, 55, led the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game in 1996. He was unable to register the same kind of results, though, in Houston, where the Texans never won more than seven games in a season under his stewardship and regressed badly in 2005.

Capers interviewed Friday for the head coach vacancy of the Buffalo Bills.

Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Well, there goes my #1 choice as our D/C....Looks like Zimmer WILL be back..

Maybe he will look up the word "Aggressive" this off-season and learn it like he did the 3-4 last year…

This vanilla defense must go away….UNLEASH the dogs!!!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to not take a serious look at Capers. Wherever he goes as the defensive coordinator (not head coach), that units ends up top three in the league.

Hiero

Reaction score
ugh saban gets him and we don't. who is going to run the 3-4 for us. just fire zimmer and move on.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Saban's doing a nice job....not a surprise at all.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
Saban's doing a nice job....not a surprise at all.
He really is. But consider this Juke. Something tells me that the 9-7 year he had in Miami is similar to Dallas first year w/BP. Basically get people to buy into the system, reclaim the fan base, and then start bringing in his guys.

They've got some good players but they also have some glaring holes, too. It's a testament to his coaching skills that he won as many games as he did this year.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
He really is. But consider this Juke. Something tells me that the 9-7 year he had in Miami is similar to Dallas first year w/BP. Basically get people to buy into the system, reclaim the fan base, and then start bringing in his guys.

They've got some good players but they also have some glaring holes, too. It's a testament to his coaching skills that he won as many games as he did this year.

They are also getting old at some key positions and don't have a QB worth a hoot.

Saban will turn them around though, I have no doubt about that.

Loved the mind games he played with Chambers this year. Worked like a charm.

And for all those that are complaining about Zim running a "vanilla" 3-4. Ask yourself who taught him the 3-4.

The vanilla 3-4 is just as much a product of BP as Zim.

joseephuss

Reaction score
junk said:
They are also getting old at some key positions and don't have a QB worth a hoot.

Saban will turn them around though, I have no doubt about that.

Loved the mind games he played with Chambers this year. Worked like a charm.

And for all those that are complaining about Zim running a "vanilla" 3-4. Ask yourself who taught him the 3-4.

The vanilla 3-4 is just as much a product of BP as Zim.

Exactly. The Giants defensee was very simple when Parcells was head coach. They just had Lawrence Taylor as a big pass rushing force. Zimmer's defense held Denver to 14 points in regulation and 17 overall. That is the same amount that Denver scored on Pittsburgh.

Sandman52

Reaction score
Parcells could grab Henning, Haslett, and Tice to assemble his staff, but then there'd still be complaining.:laugh2:

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
What a surprise. Another team looks to get a good DC while we are left with the cream puff DC of the NFL.

Ill tell you ever since I have been watchin this team all Jerry Jones has done is give us garbage for coaches and team that is for sure. Lets all the other teams get the good ones.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wolverine said:
What a surprise. Another team looks to get a good DC while we are left with the cream puff DC of the NFL.

Ill tell you ever since I have been watchin this team all Jerry Jones has done is give us garbage for coaches and team that is for sure. Lets all the other teams get the good ones.

You are right...If I were you I would start following another team, and start posting at another message board.....

Please?:D

neosapien23

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
Well, there goes my #1 choice as our D/C....Looks like Zimmer WILL be back..

Maybe he will look up the word "Aggressive" this off-season and learn it like he did the 3-4 last year…

This vanilla defense must go away….UNLEASH the dogs!!!

You have to have dogs to unleash. Outside of Ware we have not pass rushers in the linebacking core. Hopefully we get Lawson.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

What I liked about the job Saban did, unlike our first year (and last year) is that they finished well..similar to what Jimmy did here in his second year...

Eskimo

Reaction score
Saban will be a winner in this league before too long.

Good coaches can quickly turn around moribund franchises due to the salary cap and quick roster turnover these days.

Miami has adopted the correct policy of bringing in highly qualified and gifted coaches to elevate their team to the next level.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
if miami figgures out the QB position (as in someone other than frerotte) they have the weapons to be real contenders next year. They got hurt by losing tebucky jones last year, and still won what 6 in a row.

Only problem is Zach Thomas and Junior Seau are really, really old. They dont go deep this year, they will be gone i would think.