Nick Chubb, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and others call for turf to be banned after OBJ injury

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://globalsportmatters.com/heal...ty-of-athletes-which-playing-surface-is-best/

I thought that turf was getting so much better that it was starting to even out the debate versus natural grass. Here’s some studies they did which were interesting. By the way, the Cowboys n Rams have the matrix turf system in their new stadiums. Overall, Iower injuries, But still higher than grass when it comes to lower body injuries.

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This is a cute idea but it will never fly because for every injury blamed on turf there are just as many blamed on crappy grass especially late in the season as the weather send the grass into hibernation and you end up playing on dirt, mud, or frozen dirt. I don't think it's all that much safer.. but I don't play on it. If the players think their bodies would fare better on grass then that's good enough for me..

By and large grass is way safer for players. I say this from personal experience.

But I can also share from personal experience that playing on frozen grass, which is the case where I live, is no better than concrete.

I think the issue the league has to take a peek at is how "sticky" turf is, and the incidence of ligament injuries due to cleats and feet sticking to the turf. It wouldn't surprise me that this is a recent issue based on the changes in shoe design in the past 10 years, and the changes in what we used to call in the good ole days, Astro Turf.

If I was to guess it is rooted in the combination of the modern PEBAX and Carbon Fibre plates in shoes, and the new coatings in the turf resulting in a higher co-efficient of friction.

The answer to me is simple. Like golf the NFL should put a restriction of performance on the shoes and the turf. They are super engaged on the standards for helmets to prevent head injuries. Why wouldn't you extend it to protect players from lower body injuries.

Institute restrictions on the types of shoes allowed in the league and measure the CoFs for the shoes and the turf. Place a ban on the plates in shoes, and it wouldn't surprise me that we would have similar injury numbers to the late 70s and early 80s when Danny White was roaming Texas Stadium with his Nike Field Generals.

We watch the game not because of the equipment the players are wearing and the field, but because of the player's skills.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
European soccer has banned it. In fact, Aurthur Blank is swapping out the turf at Mercedes Benz stadium for grass so Atlanta can host World Cup games in 2026.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
As long as the players and the Owners can come to an agreement on how to share the additional costs I could care less what they do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lost me at the toxic gases part.....

Also many teams play inside, so how can the turf heat up to begin with. And if an outside stadium...it is open air, these supposed toxic gases are not lingering on the field. IF there are any at all.
I would think the NFL and the manufacturers would have tested all of this.

Oh I guess on a hot summer day, with the ground up rubber pellets may be warmer, if they still use that. But not any warmer than the sun on the players.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wouldn't like you just not pay to watch if a business made decisions about their product you didn't like?
On the other hand...if players don't feel safe at work....quit.

Part of these salaries are injury risks.

I am not saying don't improve the situation. But, the old saying "you only have yourself to blame" is at the core of almost everything we do. IMH "take responsibility for your own actions" way.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
On the other hand...if players don't feel safe at work....quit.

Part of these salaries are injury risks.

I am not saying don't improve the situation. But, the old saying "you only have yourself to blame" is at the core of almost everything we do. IMH "take responsibility for your own actions" way.

but that's kind of the fundamental issue with not just football but like everything. like it's a little disingenuous to talk about responsibility because the issue at hand is the lack of responsibility and power they are allowed to have and even if they leave they would still be running into the same situation in a different profession.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but that's kind of the fundamental issue with not just football but like everything. like it's a little disingenuous to talk about responsibility because the issue at hand is the lack of responsibility and power they are allowed to have and even if they leave they would still be running into the same situation in a different profession.
Correct.
I mean there is osha for a reason.

But...still....the ultimate arbiter is personal. For example if you dont want to risk cte....

phildadon86

Reaction score
I know a baseball team, I think the Blue Jays looked into it but the cost would be detrimental to do it and it's a multipurpose stadium
Yes it was the blue jays. They dug out the concrete and put real dirt in as opposed to turf colored dirt. I live 20 minutes from the Skydome so. Thanks for letting me talk about it lol

RonnieT24

Reaction score
By and large grass is way safer for players. I say this from personal experience.

But I can also share from personal experience that playing on frozen grass, which is the case where I live, is no better than concrete.

I think the issue the league has to take a peek at is how "sticky" turf is, and the incidence of ligament injuries due to cleats and feet sticking to the turf. It wouldn't surprise me that this is a recent issue based on the changes in shoe design in the past 10 years, and the changes in what we used to call in the good ole days, Astro Turf.

If I was to guess it is rooted in the combination of the modern PEBAX and Carbon Fibre plates in shoes, and the new coatings in the turf resulting in a higher co-efficient of friction.

The answer to me is simple. Like golf the NFL should put a restriction of performance on the shoes and the turf. They are super engaged on the standards for helmets to prevent head injuries. Why wouldn't you extend it to protect players from lower body injuries.

Institute restrictions on the types of shoes allowed in the league and measure the CoFs for the shoes and the turf. Place a ban on the plates in shoes, and it wouldn't surprise me that we would have similar injury numbers to the late 70s and early 80s when Danny White was roaming Texas Stadium with his Nike Field Generals.

We watch the game not because of the equipment the players are wearing and the field, but because of the player's skills.

You touched on something here. The league could pretty much end non-contact knee injuries with one simple change.. Ban high top cleats and "spatting" other than for players recovering from lower leg injuries. All that extra protection around the ankles means that the kinetic energy from stops and starts and change of direction on the leg gets transferred to the knee. I played on both grass (wet, dry and frozen)and astro turf (yeah um that old) and I wholeheartedly agree that playing on astro turf was not much different than playing out in the parking lot. It was just prettier. It hurt like hell to fall on it and you generally left a good deal of skin when you did. I got a serious case of road rash the first time I was tackled on it. Lost all the skin on one side of both arms. I've never played on FieldTurf but have been on it many times while coaching. It's definitely stickier and plays faster than grass. It's also a lot friendlier to play on in the rain. A wet ball on a rainy day with some mud mixed in!?!?! An absolute nightmare.. On a freezing day? May as well go home..

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is officially time for exciting offseason conversation!
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-advocate-for-banning-turf-field-in-stadiums/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-advocate-for-banning-turf-field-in-stadiums/

“There's a lot of support for natural grass fields, but what is the "Flip The Turf" campaign? Half of the league's teams play on artificial turf, which is why players are pushing for change. There are statistics in the campaign to back up why fields should switch from turf to grass.

In the petition, turf fields have:

• 28% more non-contact lower body injuries.
  • 32% more non-contact knee injuries and 69% more non-contact foot and ankle injuries occurred on turf.
  • Turf can get up to 60 degrees hotter than natural grass, increasing the rate at which toxic gases are released and ingested”

Those statistics (although not perfect and I would like to see some more numbers if I was calling the shots) seem to speak for themselves. If grass fields preserve player health they should be made the norm.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why, consumers are paying for their salaries, yet nobody asked for our opinions

This makes absolutely no sense when we are talking about a simple regulation that does nothing to impact the product on the field other than limit non contact ligament injuries.

quickccc

Reaction score
This is a cute idea but it will never fly because for every injury blamed on turf there are just as many blamed on crappy grass especially late in the season as the weather send the grass into hibernation and you end up playing on dirt, mud, or frozen dirt. I don't think it's all that much safer.. but I don't play on it. If the players think their bodies would fare better on grass then that's good enough for me..

i can only assume that these accounted players want to have the security of playing on the same surface that they practice on ,..
but when the training camp disasters per ACL and Achilles tendon happen,( to which virtually every year) ... it's always on grass surfaces .

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Artificial turf has always been an abomination. Indoors maybe you can't help it, but every outdoor stadium should have real grass.

But then if I had my way we'd still be at the Cotton Bowl or other outdoor stadium. The elements should be part of the game.