RELEASED Nick Ralston we hardly knew ye

Motorola

Reaction score
Feel for these players, must be really hard to be cut...
especially like 2 days after arriving at camp.
Got a season in with the Cowboys. Still could latch on to another team.
Going to have to do it on special teams, however.
FB use in NFL offenses, in even a package set, is almost nil. And on goal line plays, they just put in the OLineman with the fastest burst, quickest feet, or best hands to block, carry, or catch the ball.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Got a season in with the Cowboys. Still could latch on to another team.
Going to have to do it on special teams, however.
FB use in NFL offenses, in even a package set, is almost nil. And on goal line plays, they just put in the OLineman with the fastest burst, quickest feet, or best hands to block, carry, or catch the ball.
Yep,
Great read.
FBs are a dieing position.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I guess they like McGovern in that role now.
But they don't use a FB all that often, so I can see why they made this move.

Ryan Nall was signed to be the fullback, possibly the third running back (since he's shown "some" single-back ability) and play a special-teams role. Ralston was going to have a hard time beating him out if the Cowboys decided to keep a fullback, which is questionable.

I did expect us to keep two for preseason purposes, but realistically, whoever is the fullback isn't going to get worn down in the preseason games because he's not going to get that many snaps.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We do. It’s gonna be Rico dowdle now that he is healthy.

I'm not sure. Unless he returns kickoffs, he doesn't really help us on special teams. Dallas will be looking for someone who shines on kick and punt coverage to fill that third-back role. That's why I think Nall has the edge (fullback, third back, special-teammer).

Mannix

Reaction score
More proof that they have no clue how to use what good they have right under their noses...this guy got ZERO shots in game....gotta save room for Noah Brown and his 3-4 bone crushing blocks per year. This organization is more afraid to experiment....and in other cases, cut bait, then ANY other team in the NFL,,,,and it isn't even close.

Praxit

Reaction score
..yep, yep, .. days of the FB have been a mirage for years now.