Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Pillsbury "I don't Know" Boy ...

or to simplify ..

The Pillsbury "uh-oh" Boy ...

:)

ddh33

Reaction score
How about "scapegoat" because I'm afraid that's where it's heading.

I think Wade is the biggest, easiest target for a lot of fans who don't want to believe that their team isn't that much better than everyone else. They want to blame Wade because they really like a lot of those players they cheer for, and they don't want to believe they would just quit.

I don't know if Wade can or will turn this thing around. But i know that he has a long resume that says he is a fine defensive coach. Bill Parcells said it. Bill Belechick has said it. For some reason, a lot of the guys who are struggling right now are some of the same guys who had problems under Parcells. You can talk about the variables, but the constant through a lot of these problems have been the players.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ddh33;2359324 said:
How about "scapegoat" because I'm afraid that's where it's heading.

I think Wade is the biggest, easiest target for a lot of fans who don't want to believe that their team isn't that much better than everyone else. They want to blame Wade because they really like a lot of those players they cheer for, and they don't want to believe they would just quit.

I don't know if Wade can or will turn this thing around. But i know that he has a long resume that says he is a fine defensive coach. Bill Parcells said it. Bill Belechick has said it. For some reason, a lot of the guys who are struggling right now are some of the same guys who had problems under Parcells. You can talk about the variables, but the constant through a lot of these problems have been the players.
The problem is that coaches are responsible for the actions of the players they coach. I think if you go back and read most anti-Wade posts, you will find that the fans are just as mad at the players.

However, you cannot realistically make dramatic player changes during the year. You can make one change that would affect all of the players though and that is the head coach.

Ask Rams fans how much happier they are now than they were 3 weeks ago .. the only thing that changed for them was the head coach.

-Reality

ddh33

Reaction score
Reality;2359360 said:
The problem is that coaches are responsible for the actions of the players they coach. I think if you go back and read most anti-Wade posts, you will find that the fans are just as mad at the players.

However, you cannot realistically make dramatic player changes during the year. You can make one change that would affect all of the players though and that is the head coach.

Ask Rams fans how much happier they are now than they were 3 weeks ago .. the only thing that changed for them was the head coach.

-Reality

I see that point. That's a legitimate conversation, in my book.

Unfortunately, I haven't been reading enough of the right posts though. I see a lot of people who just want to blame Wade for everything. While he may be at fault for some things, I don't think that it's accurate or fair to blame him for everything.

Look, I'm more than willing to admit that it's possible that the head coach has cultivated an atmosphere where it's too lax, and it's okay to fail as long as you think you did your best.

But I also see a guy in Wade Phillips who has a long, impressive resume as a coach (not necessarily a head coach, I admit). I think Wade's approach could even serve the team well over the next few days if they understand they aren't the worst team in the world. They need to execute better. They need to play a lot smarter and harder too. Wade and his coaches need to do a better job of using the personnel, getting guys in the right places, etc, etc.

But I don't think firing Wade right now would solve the problems. In a week or two, you may not have much choice. But I think this team is either going to learn how to fight through adversity, or they are going to be the laughing stock of the entire league. The choice is up to them - all of them.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ddh33;2359392 said:
I see that point. That's a legitimate conversation, in my book.

Unfortunately, I haven't been reading enough of the right posts though. I see a lot of people who just want to blame Wade for everything. While he may be at fault for some things, I don't think that it's accurate or fair to blame him for everything.

Look, I'm more than willing to admit that it's possible that the head coach has cultivated an atmosphere where it's too lax, and it's okay to fail as long as you think you did your best.

But I also see a guy in Wade Phillips who has a long, impressive resume as a coach (not necessarily a head coach, I admit). I think Wade's approach could even serve the team well over the next few days if they understand they aren't the worst team in the world. They need to execute better. They need to play a lot smarter and harder too. Wade and his coaches need to do a better job of using the personnel, getting guys in the right places, etc, etc.

But I don't think firing Wade right now would solve the problems. In a week or two, you may not have much choice. But I think this team is either going to learn how to fight through adversity, or they are going to be the laughing stock of the entire league. The choice is up to them - all of them.
The sad thing is that Wade has shown he can be a good coach. I think the problem in this case is that the players we have now need someone who is a little more firm and demanding. Now, I'm not talking Parcells "my-way-or-else" style .. just someone more in control.

I think Wade's style works well when the players respect him but when things go bad, players look to their leaders and if they feel the leader is not in firm control, it affects their performances and they become sloppy and lackadaisical with their effort.

-Reality

es22

Reaction score
Reality;2359310 said:
The Pillsbury "I don't Know" Boy ...

or to simplify ..

The Pillsbury "uh-oh" Boy ...

:)

Exactly.

A loser in Buffalo, and a loser in Dallas.

wick

Reaction score
StayPuftMarshmallowMan.png