Niners close in on Turner as offensive coordinator

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Cross Turner off our list as if he ever was.:D

Turner accepts 49ers coordinator gig

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

The Raiders may not have a new head coach yet but their old head coach has a new job.

FOXSports.com has learned that former Oakland head coach Norv Turner has accepted a job as the 49ers offensive coordinator. Niners coach Mike Nolan, ironically, was Turner's defensive coordinator in Washington with the Commanders from 1997 to 1999. Turner replaces Mike McCarthy, hired last week as head coach of the Green Bay Packers. Turner has not yet signed the deal but has accepted according to those close to the two-time head coach.
Turner grew up in the Bay Area in the community of Martinez.

The former Raiders head coach also has one of the best names as an offensive coordinator in the NFL after stints in Dallas, San Diego and Miami.

Turner was on Jimmy Johnson's Dallas coaching staff from 1991-93, where as the offensive coordinator he helped lead the Cowboys to two straight World Championships. He also had quite a successful stint as the coordinator in San Diego where the Chargers had running back LaDainian Tomlinson lead all NFL rookies with 1,236 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns and an NFL rookie best 59 catches.

In that same season quarterback Doug Flutie threw for 3,464 yards and wide receiver Curtis Conway had 71 receptions for 1,125 yards.

Turner's coaching career began in 1975 at the University of Oregon, Nolan's alma mater.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
They will be set on offense. Turner is an offensive genius.

Major gaff not getting him in here.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score

Niners close in on Turner as offensive coordinatorBy GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
January 17, 2006

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Fired Oakland Raiders coach Norv Turner was negotiating a move across San Francisco Bay on Monday night to become the 49ers' offensive coordinator, a team source said.
The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't complete, said Turner is expected to be introduced later this week as coach Mike Nolan's replacement for Mike McCarthy, who became the Green Bay Packers' head coach last week after one terrible season with the Niners.

Turner, who also coached the Washington Commanders for nearly seven years, was fired by the Raiders on Jan. 3 after two losing seasons. But the Bay Area native still is considered one of the NFL's top offensive minds, with a career highlighted by his work as the Dallas Cowboys' offensive coordinator during two Super Bowl-winning seasons.
Nolan was Turner's defensive coordinator in Washington from 1997-99, and he put his former boss high on his list of candidates for McCarthy's replacement last week.
Turner went 49-59-1 with just one playoff berth in Washington before getting fired with three games left in the 2000 season. He took over the Raiders in January 2004 but won just nine games, leading to his dismissal by owner Al Davis.
Turner will take over for McCarthy, who presided over one of the worst offensive seasons in NFL history in Nolan's first year in San Francisco. The Niners (4-12) managed just 3,587 total yards -- the fewest in the league, the franchise's lowest total since 1963 and the fifth-fewest since the NFL began playing 16-game schedules in 1978. With a talent-thin roster and four starting quarterbacks, including No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith, the Niners averaged fewer than 15 points. Smith didn't throw his first touchdown pass until the season finale -- after 11 interceptions and seven starts. San Francisco finished with franchise lows in offensive touchdowns (17), first downs (191) and yards passing (1,898).

Ashwynn

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:

Niners close in on Turner as offensive coordinatorBy GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
January 17, 2006

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Fired Oakland Raiders coach Norv Turner was negotiating a move across San Francisco Bay on Monday night to become the 49ers' offensive coordinator, a team source said.
The source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't complete, said Turner is expected to be introduced later this week as coach Mike Nolan's replacement for Mike McCarthy, who became the Green Bay Packers' head coach last week after one terrible season with the Niners.

Turner, who also coached the Washington Commanders for nearly seven years, was fired by the Raiders on Jan. 3 after two losing seasons. But the Bay Area native still is considered one of the NFL's top offensive minds, with a career highlighted by his work as the Dallas Cowboys' offensive coordinator during two Super Bowl-winning seasons.
Nolan was Turner's defensive coordinator in Washington from 1997-99, and he put his former boss high on his list of candidates for McCarthy's replacement last week.
Turner went 49-59-1 with just one playoff berth in Washington before getting fired with three games left in the 2000 season. He took over the Raiders in January 2004 but won just nine games, leading to his dismissal by owner Al Davis.
Turner will take over for McCarthy, who presided over one of the worst offensive seasons in NFL history in Nolan's first year in San Francisco. The Niners (4-12) managed just 3,587 total yards -- the fewest in the league, the franchise's lowest total since 1963 and the fifth-fewest since the NFL began playing 16-game schedules in 1978. With a talent-thin roster and four starting quarterbacks, including No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith, the Niners averaged fewer than 15 points. Smith didn't throw his first touchdown pass until the season finale -- after 11 interceptions and seven starts. San Francisco finished with franchise lows in offensive touchdowns (17), first downs (191) and yards passing (1,898).
He might be a good pick up for them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
That little weasel Payton has ruined everything. Damn!

Wow, San Fran moving away from the WCO. Never thought I'd see the day. That would be like Dallas scrapping the 43.

:bang2:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
This is great news for Alex Smith. Turner is the one who taught Aikman how to be an NFL QB; if he can do that for Smith the Niners could become a force again...******!!

JGalt

Reaction score
This is the end of the West-Coast offense in the city that started it all. The 49ers are going to try to run the Don Coryell offense? Never thought I would see the day.:star:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
JGalt said:
This is the end of the West-Coast offense in the city that started it all. The 49ers are going to try to run the Don Coryell offense? Never thought I would see the day.:star:

Pretty easy choice in my book. He doesn't even have to move.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
JGalt said:

well you beat me to it.... weird to see them change offensive style

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Norv doesnt make any sense going to that team to me. I expect the 9ers to draft a day one RB.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
49ers | Turner discusses offensive strategy
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:18:41 -0800

SF49ers.com reports newly hired San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner said he wouldn't categorize his offense as a West Coast offense. Turner has a history of successfully blending together different parts of various offenses into his system and anticipates doing the same for the 49ers. "There's no question that the style of the offense has been about being able to run the ball and make big plays in the passing game," said Turner. "I always smile when I read things like does the run set up the pass or does the pass set up the run, but I think it changes every week. Ultimately, the more things that you get really good at, the harder you are to defend. That's our goal from day one. We want to find out how many things that we can be good at and that we can do consistently."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
They will be set on offense. Turner is an offensive genius.

Major gaff not getting him in here.

how? why? Turner hasn't done anything of note on offense since our Dynasty years, hell, I could have coached that offense

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This is great news for Alex Smith. Turner is the one who taught Aikman how to be an NFL QB; if he can do that for Smith the Niners could become a force again...******!!

he couldn't teach Jake Feely to be a QB, hell, Payton did a better job with Kerry Collins than Norv did

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
how? why? Turner hasn't done anything of note on offense since our Dynasty years, hell, I could have coached that offense

The Commanders offense hasnt come close to playing at the level they did when Norv was HC there and that was with Brad Johnson.

He was doomed in Oakland with that sorry bunch of malcontents.

I think he's a great OC, probably top three in the league.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JGalt said:

Actually, the city that started it all is Cleveland. It's Paul Brown's Ohio Offense. Walsh just let everybody believe it was his early on and ESPN was more then happy to proclaim it as such.