RELEASED Niswander waived

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Although I liked what Niswander did last year in eight games, we shouldn't make too big of a deal of this. Niswander averaged 44.6 yards per punt while playing in the XFL before joining us, so we don't know if he can consistently provide the 47.2 average he had last year. In the first couple of preseason games, he average 50.3 in the first one and 41.5 in the second. Of course, he also was handling place-kicking duties.

Anger has steadily averaged more than 45 yards a kick over nine seasons, including 46.5 and 46.4 the past two years. He also has quite a few downed inside the 20. Fassel might like his hang time, his directional kicking, etc., better than Niswander's. All things being equal, I would have gone with the younger player, but I don't know if all things were equal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Stupid move, this guy averaged 47.2 yards last year in 8 games...but I guess his injury did him in

Whether he was cut now with an injury or waived at the end of the season, he was done in as soon as we signed Anger.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas Cowboys= the franchise run through nepotism and cronyism.

I’m sorry, but Anger isn’t an upgrade. Niswander is a phenomenal punter. Same goes for Zuerlein. Why is he even here, other than being buds with Bones?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they would have signed a K at beginning of TC. Then Niswander may not have had the extra work as a FG and KO guy, possibly causing the injury.
My conspiracy theory says it may have been planned to warrant the release. To keep Anger. :laugh::popcorn:

dogberry

Reaction score
If a player is waived injured and doesn’t get picked up, how much does the team owe him.

All the rights of a regular if player?

Praxit

Reaction score
..wasnt he the punter with a good BOOM at the end of his kick?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prefer to remain in denial, especially this time of year.....

But we have no organizational philosophy in general.

We defer to the whims of not only coordinators but position coaches.

Then need to change things every time it doesn't work, which is always.

This entire draft and offseason was about Quinn and his defense. What if it doesn't work?

Get rid of him and bring in someone else who wants their own type of players? How many years does that set us back?

The Jones' biggest flaw is they have zero innovative thoughts of their own as to how to run the franchise.

They simply defer to the whim of whoever is close enough to be in their ear at the given moment.

They are always behind....and reactionary to what should have been obvious.

It's awfully sad, yet painfully true.
They have an organizational structure!
It's called Dis-organization.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a player is waived injured and doesn’t get picked up, how much does the team owe him.

All the rights of a regular if player?

I believe they take on the contract and the team will not owe anything but the player keeps any signing bonus.

however if he clears waivers, then he goes on the teams IR list.
Then The releasing team will keep him on IR or they come to an injury settlement. And becomes a FA.

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought he did well as the replacement punter last year.
I hope Anger is as good or better now obviously.
They have very similar stats
I’d prefer the younger, cheaper option myself
But he’s likely not lost
Since he’s injured he’s not likely to be claimed so he reverts back I believe for IR

Last edited: