No Emotion Football Penalties

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Still looking for a link about a ruling for penalties if a player spikes the ball or shows any outbreak of emotions upon scoring a touchdown or any other big play.

I personally heard Joe Gibbs, Commanders Coach speak on TV about about how he felt about penalties resulting from emotions and how he felt that this would remove all true emotion away from the game.

Anyone else heard about this initiative?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per John Claytong

1. In a 26-5-1 vote, owners adopted a rule change to penalize a player if he spikes the ball after a non-scoring play has ended. "You have a player celebrating a 3-yard slant play and spiking the ball on this great achievement," McKay said sarcastically. The league felt it took too much time for the officials to chase down the ball. Plus there was the question of bad sportsmanship. In case you are wondering, the Raiders were the team that didn't vote.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2816090

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1441664 said:
Per John Claytong

1. In a 26-5-1 vote, owners adopted a rule change to penalize a player if he spikes the ball after a non-scoring play has ended. "You have a player celebrating a 3-yard slant play and spiking the ball on this great achievement," McKay said sarcastically. The league felt it took too much time for the officials to chase down the ball. Plus there was the question of bad sportsmanship. In case you are wondering, the Raiders were the team that didn't vote.

This is actually an alright rule...however, I also thought it included spiking the ball in the end zone after a score...

Apparently not....

:confused:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1441664 said:
Per John Claytong

It mainly has to do with the play this season where the guy spiked the ball when he wasn't actually down by contact. The opposing players thought they had recovered a fumble but the ruling on the field was that since he spiked it forward, it was an illegal forward pass resulting in a 5-yard penalty.

It has nothing to do with emotion and everything to do with not being stupid. If stupid players stop doing stupid things then it won't be an issue.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Oh i think it has a LOT to do with the "in your face" attitude most of these guys have. They can't seem to do anything without taunting and trash talking.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
THUMPER;1441706 said:
It mainly has to do with the play this season where the guy spiked the ball when he wasn't actually down by contact. The opposing players thought they had recovered a fumble but the ruling on the field was that since he spiked it forward, it was an illegal forward pass resulting in a 5-yard penalty.

It has nothing to do with emotion and everything to do with not being stupid. If stupid players stop doing stupid things then it won't be an issue.

Good post...

:starspin

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1441664 said:
Per John Claytong

Thanks WG!:)

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1441664 said:
Per John Claytong

Appreciate the link WG!:)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1441710 said:
Oh i think it has a LOT to do with the "in your face" attitude most of these guys have. They can't seem to do anything without taunting and trash talking.

It's been that way for a long, long time now, and I never have understood it... when I was playing basketball, I went up against the trash talkers right often... my response was always to shut up, and play twice as hard, just abuse the motormouth...

I always figured if you're REALLY good, you won't HAVE to blow your own horn... to me, the sweetest moment in competition was when I was running back down the court after having scored, and I heard somebody on the other team holler "who's GUARDING that little (expletive deleted)??"

Those were the moments I lived for... :D

Yes sir, if you're baaaaad, if you're really, really baaaaad, then the other guys will let you know about it... doesn't take any skill to tell the world how great you are, but it surely does take game to get them to tell you how great you are...

And as far as I'm concerned, the ultimate in "cool" is acting like it's no big deal after you score a TD... just toss the ball to the ref, and run off the field, as if to say "ho hum, another TD"... naturally, that means no celebrating after catching a 3 yard slant, LOL...

Tony Dorsett was pretty cool that way... Darrell Royal had it right when he grabbed one of his hotdogging players after a score, and told him "son, the next time you score, I want you to act like you EXPECTED to"...