News: No Matter the Play Caller, Cowboys Run Defense Needs Fixed

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a problem I harped on all season long, and to no surprise it was one of the many reasons they got bounced in the first round of the playoffs. The Cowboys run defense …

Photo of author

Written by: Shane Taylor
Published on: Jan 24, 2024

This is a problem I harped on all season long, and to no surprise it was one of the many reasons they got bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

The Cowboys run defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.

The Packers ran for 143 yards on the ground, and scored on all but one possession.

This had been happening well before the playoffs though. Arizona all the way back in week 3 ran for 222 yards on the ground, while the 49ers had 170 in week 5. Buffalo had a field day with 266.

That is pathetic, this should be one of the first things this team address in the offseason.

Much more: https://insidethestar.com/no-matter...-fixed/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bigE79

Reaction score
I swear every time we were getting gashed by the run, the commentators would comment on why DQ is not stacking the box.....
Hard to stack the box,with safeties,and no linebackers worth a damn..the last safeties we had that could pull that off was roy and Woody.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Stubbornness did the run defense in because I don't recall 8 man boxes, and I don't recall using much of the big guy personnel on a regular basis to stop the run.
And we played way more zone than normal. Was this an attempt to help stop the run.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Stubbornness did the run defense in because I don't recall 8 man boxes, and I don't recall using much of the big guy personnel on a regular basis to stop the run.
+1. With 6 men in the box . . . you can't cover all the gaps. Its more of a math problem than a talent problem.

DQ obviously just didn't think stopping the run was important.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well if you have great corners and a decent safety you should be able to play with 8 in the box, but that would require man to man defense and we wanted play zone the entire game for some reason.

How about just play Micah at LB on 1st and 2nd down?

There were plenty of options for DQ to make adjustments.