No more NBA Owners

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
This is really stupid. They own the team. So, say I own a small business and I have 15 employees...
I shouldn't say that I own my business because that would be insensitive?
Isn't there something else actually important that this same time & focus could be spent on?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
guvnor-1.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say we get rid of this thread before it gets out of hand
:laugh:Valid precaution but let us first wait-and-see if it does just that.:thumbup:

In my opinion, political correctness, which has been practiced in some form or other for millennia, is necessary for promoting positive change within ever evolving civilized society. Unfortunately, it is also a practice human beings, around the world and throughout recorded time, have often used inappropriately. This particular NBA-centric topic is an example of inappropriate application of the practice.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
:laugh:Valid precaution but let us first wait-and-see if it does just that.:thumbup:

In my opinion, political correctness, which has been practiced in some form or other for millennia, is necessary for promoting positive change within ever evolving civilized society. Unfortunately, it is also a practice human beings, around the world and throughout recorded time, have often used inappropriately. This particular NBA-centric topic is an example of inappropriate application of the practice.
Maybe. I don't necessarily have a problem with the use of the word owner, but I would also say that if a large minority group has a problem with it, and the offending party agrees to change it, what's the big deal. People hate political correctness because they want to preserve their right to say whatever they want. People have also made the comparisons that many of the players own businesses and call themselves owners. Nuance is needed. The primary product in the NBA are the players, 75% of them black. I can see where it might be sensitive to refer to yourself as an owner of people in a country where it was a big blemish in the country's history. That's very different than being an "owner" of a restaurant or a car dealership where those are different products being bought and sold and not people. Either way, I think people should listen to other people and not be so quick to argue for your right to offend them. The league listened to its players (the NBA is far more progressive than any of the other major leagues) and made a change. I think we should applaud them for keeping their relationship with the players solid, verses the NFL and MLB who seem to be fighting with the players at every turn. Before someone chimes in with "not wanting the league to give in to player's demands every time", they don't. The players had an issue with the dress code, and the league stood firm.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
***** (Brown Shirts) used this practice to gain power in Germany. Communist did it too. The problem is that it can be weaponized. Common sense should always rule the day but all too often, you see people allowing themselves to join the herd mentality and it gets abused.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Maybe. I don't necessarily have a problem with the use of the word owner, but I would also say that if a large minority group has a problem with it, and the offending party agrees to change it, what's the big deal. People hate political correctness because they want to preserve their right to say whatever they want. People have also made the comparisons that many of the players own businesses and call themselves owners. Nuance is needed. The primary product in the NBA are the players, 75% of them black. I can see where it might be sensitive to refer to yourself as an owner of people in a country where it was a big blemish in the country's history. That's very different than being an "owner" of a restaurant or a car dealership where those are different products being bought and sold and not people. Either way, I think people should listen to other people and not be so quick to argue for your right to offend them. The league listened to its players (the NBA is far more progressive than any of the other major leagues) and made a change. I think we should applaud them for keeping their relationship with the players solid, verses the NFL and MLB who seem to be fighting with the players at every turn. Before someone chimes in with "not wanting the league to give in to player's demands every time", they don't. The players had an issue with the dress code, and the league stood firm.

But it's not different from any service based business where there isn't a physical product, but the people or service is what's being sold. Companies like a modeling agency, Uber, construction company, plumbing company, temp staffing agency, house cleaning or make ready services, etc Any kind of service based company don't own the employees, but own the company that employs them. Those companies and their owners make money from the talent, expertise or ability from their employees and not from a product. They "sell" the skill, time, talent, etc of their employees.

There are black owners in the NBA of varying percentages, David Robinson owns a piece of the Spurs, Tony Parker owns a French basketball team, Jordan owns the Hornets, etc. If that many of the players are offended they should listen, you want to make sure the players/employees are happy and feel appreciated for the work they do. Personally it seems that some go out of their way to find something to be offended about and I'm normally pretty liberal in my viewpoints. What's next? Are Native Americans going to take offense at the title CEO?

rags747

Reaction score
“What can we be offended by today”. Love that expression. How about everybody just worries about their own crap, stop worrying about other people.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
But it's not different from any service based business where there isn't a physical product, but the people or service is what's being sold. Companies like a modeling agency, Uber, construction company, plumbing company, temp staffing agency, house cleaning or make ready services, etc Any kind of service based company don't own the employees, but own the company that employs them. Those companies and their owners make money from the talent, expertise or ability from their employees and not from a product. They "sell" the skill, time, talent, etc of their employees.

There are black owners in the NBA of varying percentages, David Robinson owns a piece of the Spurs, Tony Parker owns a French basketball team, Jordan owns the Hornets, etc. If that many of the players are offended they should listen, you want to make sure the players/employees are happy and feel appreciated for the work they do. Personally it seems that some go out of their way to find something to be offended about and I'm normally pretty liberal in my viewpoints. What's next? Are Native Americans going to take offense at the title CEO?

One thing we can do is get rid of words and just use numbers to describe things. But numbers are comparable to other numbers so I guess you could build a hierarchy out of that too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? How does a person owning a business get twisted into meaning or even suggesting a person owns slaves? That’s idiotic.

And the term “governor” is just as idiotic as an alternative. These people don’t just “govern” or manage the business, they actually do own it.