NO! NO! Dallas Cowboys don't take Thomas Howard

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
WOW! I just read where the cowboys might be interested in Thomas Howard, smaller type linebacker, about 6-3, 235 but with superior speed. LIke 4.49 to 4.45 in 40. Only thing, he doesnt make plays, he gets lost in traffic and just doesnt make hits like he did a few years back. Now, I was wondering though, just maybe, like he might be able to make transition to safety, he does have that speed, just like Darren Woodson did.
Yet, I remember watching Darren Woodson his senior year at linebacker, and he made plays, Thomas Howard just didnt.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
WOW! I just read where the cowboys might be interested in Thomas Howard, smaller type linebacker, about 6-3, 235 but with superior speed. LIke 4.49 to 4.45 in 40. Only thing, he doesnt make plays, he gets lost in traffic and just doesnt make hits like he did a few years back. Now, I was wondering though, just maybe, like he might be able to make transition to safety, he does have that speed, just like Darren Woodson did.
Yet, I remember watching Darren Woodson his senior year at linebacker, and he made plays, Thomas Howard just didnt.
You've probably watched alot of UTEP games huh? He ran a 4.42 40, and was all over the field at the Senior Bowl playing with the best of the best.

So since I didn't watch any UTEP games, and I can only go by his stats (which were pretty good) I can say I like him until someone who watched him play gives me more insight.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I saw him play in person last season. His athletic ability is obvious ... he just looks like an NFL player.

While he had more tackles in 2005 (85, compared to 62 in 2004), his TFL numbers (14 to 7) and his sack totals (8 to 3) dropped during his senior year. Not sure why.

He's an interesting guy for sure, but I think he would be too much of a gamble in the first round.

On a side note, Parcells coached Howard's dad in the 1970s at Texas Tech.

ddh33

Reaction score
The Parcells connection is always interesting and bears watching, in my opinion.

Everyone uniformly agress on his athleticism. It seems like Howard could be a little raw though. Of course, the same folks brag about his ability to blitz and speed to cover TEs, backs, and play sideline to sideline.

I just don't see Howard at #18 though, and I'm not completely sure I see him as a first rounder at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
No way he last til round 3. Im thinking round 2. I think we already got a Howard in Burnett.
No way Burnett is that fast, and his coverage skills are no where near what Howards are. IMO

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd take him in the 2nd if for some reason we didn't take Lawson/Wimbley/etc. in the first.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
theogt said:
I'd take him in the 2nd if for some reason we didn't take Lawson/Wimbley/etc. in the first.
I would be all for that.

Woods

Reaction score
From Ourlads on Thomas Howard,

"3 year starter. Athletic and can run. Can stick his foot in the ground and drive on the ball in front of him. Good coverage. Lacks strength to stack at the point of attack. Rare lateral quickness. Questionable instincts. If he sees the ball he can burst to it. Bends his knees. Has long arms. Plays with a good base and plays on his feet. Quick twitch player that does everything fast. A former walk-on that has improved and developed every year. He still needs overall physical strength to hold-up as an edge player and pass rusher. Does a solid job of locking out a tight end or tackle and stringing the play to the sideline. An extremely gifted and talented player that has a huge upside. First round speed, second round talent."

They have him as 6032 (height), 239 lbs, 4.42 40-yard, bench press 21 times, SShuttle 4.29.

Hope this is helpful.

felix360

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:

What a joke, how many games did u see or go to watch howard play. give me break, this guy is one of the reasons the Miners had a good season, now i wouldnt take him in the first round but hell if he is there in the second, than pick him up, but to say he doesnt make plays is just plain wrong.

with all that said, i seriously doubt he ends up with dallas.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have a feeling if we trade down in the first round, Howard would be our target, not Carpenter.

He has all the looks of a surprise first round pick, very late however. I would be quite happy with the choice if we were able to get a solid group of choices for the 18th choice.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I have a feeling if we trade down in the first round, Howard would be our target, not Carpenter.

He has all the looks of a surprise first round pick, very late however. I would be quite happy with the choice if we were able to get a solid group of choices for the 18th choice.
That's certainly true if we're trading down past #25. Carpenter isn't getting past the Giants.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt said:
That's certainly true if we're trading down past #25. Carpenter isn't getting past the Giants.

Well, that's what I suggested. If we trade down, we probably aren't counting on Carpenter being there and we aren't that dead set on him.

In 2004, when we traded down with Buffalo, we wanted Julius Jones or Tatum Bell. We could very easily have Howard as part of a group we would be content with if we trade way down within the round.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
That what I was pointing to, reports have him going 31st to 2nd round pick. Not 18th, now if we trade down, pick up an extra 3rd and 6th pick, then trade down again, past 25th pick, because the Giants are sure going to take Carpenter if he is there.

I have read where Manny Lawson could go from 15th pick to 30th pick or so, but stay in 1st round. Whereas Thomas Howard is a late, late first round pick or high second round pick. I dont have problem with trading down, not to far mind you, you can get to cute, and lose out on a superior player.

Yet, at same time, the strength of the draft is in the 2nd round to 3rd round. If you do your homework, go by what your scouts tell you. Not what you as head coach thinks in second round. We all know Parcells history in 2nd round, not good, he has taken players he shouldnt have. Good example is Jacob Rogers, scouts told him, dont he is injury prone, but Parcells is stubborn. And we all know what happened, Rogers was a big bust. Reports are about the same in 2003, when scouts told Parcells to take Jason Witten in 2nd round, he drafted Al Johnson in 2nd round, luckly Jason Witten was still there in 3rd round since we were picking high in 3rd round.

Again, dont get too cute by trading down too much, but if you can get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I would love to take Howard....not sure #18 is the right spot though.....a little high for him IMO

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I love how people have a definitive opinion on players and follow it up with comments like "Now I've never seen him play" or "Just looking at the numbers"

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
I love how people have a definitive opinion on players and follow it up with comments like "Now I've never seen him play" or "Just looking at the numbers"
Echo that.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
junk said:
I know people in general do this, but who did that here?