No one talking about Matt Rhule this morning?

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I don't the loss as Georgia's defensive line dominated the game. However, there were some clock management issues and other issues that gave me pause about hiring him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I am surprised there is not more chatter about Matt Rhule this morning after Baylor was defeated by a banged up Georgia Bulldogs team last night. I admit I haven't watched much college football this year and this was my first real look at Baylor and their head coach, Matt Rhule. Its one game and I will keep that in perspective, but as I watched the game I tried to picture Rhule as the Cowboys Head Coach. The parallels to the Cowboys were inescapable. Georgia was missing a bunch of injured starters yet they dominated. Does that sound familiar? Baylor made a lot of dumb mistakes, like encroachment penalties, dropped passes, and a really bad decision to go for it on 4th and 4 around mid-field early in the 4th quarter. They failed, gave Georgia momentum and a short field. Georgia drove for a TD to basically ice the game. I wonder if Rhule had a Maher-type kicker, would he have tried a 60 yard FG instead of going for it? This was all too reminiscent of the Cowboys 2019 season.

Again, it was one game, but maybe it was a sign that Matt Rhule is not the guy for the Dallas Cowboys.
I'm not a big advocate of bringing in Rhule but come on.

Georgia backups were higher rated recruits than most of Baylor's starters.
Yes, you need to gain some perspective.

The fact that Baylor--whose average recruiting class rank the last 5 years is 40th---was able to put together the season they did is all about coaching.

GMO415

Reaction score
NY midgets reported to be all over that smock wearing clown.

Sydla

Reaction score
No matter who the guy ends up being, fans will turn on him the same way as losses happen. It’s inevitable.

Hahaha.

You are so salty your boy has failed.

I suspect most fans will give any new head coach a couple of years to figure things out. But if we get into Year 4 or so, and like Garrett, there is little progress, criticism would be justified. It shouldn't take a coach four years (let alone 9) to build a legit franchise.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Matt Rhule wont be coaching anywhere in the NFL IN 2020...he's got a sweet gig and they like him there.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rhule wont leave Baylor where at least right now, he is a King of that city. He goes to the NFL, that's all gone. BIG GAMBLE. He aint leaving college.
I do think he could easily go NFL. He seems more like an NFL coach than a lot of college coaches. He's not just a great recruiter or an Xs and Os offensive guru.

I do think any hot college coach could choose to stay in college, though. Those guys make just as much money now and they have much more control. At a blueblood program a coach can stay on top for years. A Penn State if it came open would be really appealing, maybe even more than the Giants depending on what you value.

Whatever happens I'd be surprised if he were at Baylor much longer.

MikeB80

Reaction score
He's got to want to leave as well. I'm sure he will interview but leaving Baylor for any NFL team is a big risk for him.

there are two sides to that though. One bad Baylor season and all of a sudden you are not a top coaching candidate in the NFL and also then your job at baylor gets questioned.

If his intentions are to coach in the nfl its the perfect time an NY is perfect for him. The fan base and the media in NY are about where we are as a fanbase, they feel hopeless and have no faith in the owner or GM. A guy like Rhule represents a fresh start and new hope, at the worst he will bring all the fans back to the organization and kill the apathy.

obviously its always about winning and losing and if he fails there he will be hated and dismissed in few years also.

cowboyec

Reaction score
probably because he's staying at Baylor.
not a fan personally.
done a helluva job there tho.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Assuming some huge name like Belichick or even Payton isn't an option, my order would be..........

1) Greg Roman - Roman's resume is impressive. I think he could really work with Dak.
2) Matt Ruhle - I am big on outside the box thinking and Ruhle is outside the box. I also think he's a fantastic coach. What he's done at Baylor is impressive. He runs a more NFL style program compared to someone, like Riley.

Those are my two guys.
Mine too, yet the writing on the wall tells me its Rhule, and he already has agreed under the table.