Noah Fant TE

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Hockenson is going to go screaming up boards soon if he hasn't already. Tape, production, measurables, he's got it all.

I need to watch Fant, because I remember hype of him being this athletic freak, next Jimmy Graham type dude last season and it really seems to have cooled off.

I could’ve have been more wrong about Hock early on.

Dude seems to be the real deal, and a sure fire 1sr round talent IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Graham and Eifert (when not injured) weren’t very good blockers were they?

You can call them whatever you want but big dudes like that can release from tight off the line and run are match up nightmares against LBs and most DBs.

I said if they can't break 4.6 in the forty.

Graham 4.53 and Eifert was a 4.68 official and 4.59 unofficial forty.

I'm not sure Eifert is a good example because he just flashed as a great receiver but never had over 52 catches in a season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya cause blocking tight ends are all the rage in the NFL.....

Blocking TE generally refers to a #2 TE whose primary job is blocking.

I'm referring to starting TEs that can block like Witten, Gronk, etc..

In his prime Witten was a great blocker relative to other #1 TEs; however, not relative to #2 TEs whose primary job was blocking.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I said if they can't break 4.6 in the forty.

Graham 4.53 and Eifert was a 4.68 official and 4.59 unofficial forty.

I'm not sure Eifert is a good example because he just flashed as a great receiver but never had over 52 catches in a season.

Blocking aside, Ertz ran a 4.7 and Kelce ran a 4.6+.

I get it, Fant has a ways to go as a blocker but there’s a lot more to be a great receiving TE than running a sub 4.6.

Fants tape is pretty darn good.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Noah Fant TE is probably gonna be our best bet if we stay we are at in the 2nd round
He really can’t block, we don’t need a TE that’s gonna be an oversized WR.

The whole point of the TE position is its ability to lineup in multiple roles in a given formation, which keeps defenses honest. Can go run on pass anytime with a complete TE, in turn makes Zeke into even a better player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m betting against the Cowboys taking a TE in the second round because unlike other positions of need, the Cowboys have the hope of young TE options that will be growing into the position. They won’t likely be the quality Fant is, but there is upside with the guys we have. On the other hand, with DT, for example, what we have is what we have. There isn’t the hope for significant growth with the guys we have.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fant won’t be there probably, but then nobody thought we’d find Witten in the third when we passed on him in the second, either.

I think we go TE in the third this year anyway unless a true top player falls.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, Daniel Jeremiah mocked Fant in the 1st round.
Hes not the only one.

Verdict

Reaction score
I haven't seen any mocks that have him getting anywhere near 58.

I'm sure that's entirely accurate, but TEs tend to fall in the draft, as do guards and fullbacks and safeties for that matter. The trench players and high value players tend to climb as the draft approaches.

Jason Witten was graded as a first round talent by us if I remember correctly, and he fell all the way to the 3rd round.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m betting against the Cowboys taking a TE in the second round because unlike other positions of need, the Cowboys have the hope of young TE options that will be growing into the position. They won’t likely be the quality Fant is, but there is upside with the guys we have. On the other hand, with DT, for example, what we have is what we have. There isn’t the hope for significant growth with the guys we have.
Im not a fan of TE at 58 but it wouldn’t shock me
Smith is a guy I’m guessing they would like because ontop of good receiver prospect he can block

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Fant may be the first TE off the board

If he falls into the second, Id consider trading up for him

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pretty sure Fant is going in the first now. His measurables at the Combine were filthy, and he's got good tape on top of it too. I think he's a high ceiling, high floor kind of guy and it wouldn't be crazy to see him go in the top 20 if some offensive coach is convinced they need a move TE.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tight Ends are the least sought after position in rounds 1 and 2 outside of fullbacks

I think we have a good shot at him honestly

I agree with you except for having a shot at him part.

QB's, DE's, OT's, Corners will get picked high.

4-3 Linebackers, TE's, Safeties, slightly above average DT's, and Interior OL seem to fall.

WR's are all over the place.