Nolan and points allowed

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Seeing that there is a lot of concern or hesitation about McCarthy making Mike Nolan his defensive coordinator, I went back and looked at all of Nolan's stops as a DC paying attention to what I consider the most important stat for the position: points against.

Nolan has been defensive coordinator for seven teams before now. At all but his two one-year stops (New York Jets and Denver Broncos, he had at least one top-10 defense in points against). NOTE: I did not check if any of these teams had a defensive-minded head coach who might have been propping Nolan up.

At his first stop with the New York Giants, he had the No. 1 defense in points against his first year, following by the eight, 16th and 10th. He then went to the Commanders and had the eighth before a bad drop-off to 28th and 29th. (Not sure what happened there.)

In his one year with the Jets, his defense was 13th in points against. Then, he went to the Ravens and had the 19th-ranked defense in that category before being sixth the next two years.

One year with Denver, produced the 12th-ranked defense in that category before he moved on to the Dolphins. There, he started with the 14th-ranked defense in points against before improving it to sixth the next year.

In his last stop as a DC, he had the Falcons fifth in the category his first year before a drop-off similar to the one he had in Washngton (27th the next two years).

So, the good news is that he's had eight top-10 defenses in points against, including the No. 1 defense his first year. The bad news is he's had nine defenses ranked outside the top 10, including four near the bottom of the league.

Again, there can be a lot of reasons for the disparity in his success, but it seems like he's mainly hit and miss. About half the time, we can expect his defenses to clamp down on scoring. And about a fourth of the time, we can expect his defenses to be really porous. (They were middle of the pack five times.)

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Seeing that there is a lot of concern or hesitation about McCarthy making Mike Nolan his defensive coordinator, I went back and looked at all of Nolan's stops as a DC paying attention to what I consider the most important stat for the position: points against.

Nolan has been defensive coordinator for seven teams before now. At all but his two one-year stops (New York Jets and Denver Broncos, he had at least one top-10 defense in points against). NOTE: I did not check if any of these teams had a defensive-minded head coach who might have been propping Nolan up.

At his first stop with the New York Giants, he had the No. 1 defense in points against his first year, following by the eight, 16th and 10th. He then went to the Commanders and had the eighth before a bad drop-off to 28th and 29th. (Not sure what happened there.)

In his one year with the Jets, his defense was 13th in points against. Then, he went to the Ravens and had the 19th-ranked defense in that category before being sixth the next two years.

One year with Denver, produced the 12th-ranked defense in that category before he moved on to the Dolphins. There, he started with the 14th-ranked defense in points against before improving it to sixth the next year.

In his last stop as a DC, he had the Falcons fifth in the category his first year before a drop-off similar to the one he had in Washngton (27th the next two years).

So, the good news is that he's had eight top-10 defenses in points against, including the No. 1 defense his first year. The bad news is he's had nine defenses ranked outside the top 10, including four near the bottom of the league.

Again, there can be a lot of reasons for the disparity in his success, but it seems like he's mainly hit and miss. About half the time, we can expect his defenses to clamp down on scoring. And about a fourth of the time, we can expect his defenses to be really porous. (They were middle of the pack five times.)
Go look at the teams and qbs of those teams he was on. His defense was prolly on the field for 40 minutes a game lol. Not much talent on the defense either

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a link somewhere on this site...I think I've seen it a couple times. If only we could get it one more time :)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many factors can play into it as to why certain things turn out the way they do with stats.
Look at our offense, they were 1st in yards, but still failed to produce points when really needed.

But then look at the defense they were not nearly as good as being ranked a top 10 D most of the season. For ST's play, and defense not setting up the offense or defense in good field position. Dallas offense had to go over 80 just about every drive, so the numbers add up.
The defense did not have opposing offenses go on as long of drives, so the numbers were low.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Go look at the teams and qbs of those teams he was on. His defense was prolly on the field for 40 minutes a game lol. Not much talent on the defense either
You're right. Points allowed doesn't account for how many possessions you have to face.

Avg rank: points allowed per drive
1993-96 NYG 11th
1997-99 Was 20th
2000 NYJ 9th
2002-04 Bal 6th
2005-08 SF (HC) 26th
2009 Den 13th
2010-11 Mia 10th
2012-14 Atl 24th

Nolan was the Giants' DC in '93 when Emmitt gained 229 yards with a separated shoulder to lock up home-field advantage on the way to their 2nd SB win.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not convinced that Nolan is the best guy for the DC role. I would rather have seen some fresh blood and fresh perspective. But I do think this team needed a change and will benefit greatly from that change. There are some good pieces in place and all I am asking is that Nolan get more out of what he has. Just simple thing like being more aggressive on defense would make me happy.

McCarthy's greatest success will come from getting all the pieces of this team to compliment each other.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's a schemer and will attack the offense. For that alone i'm a fan of his.

I remember when we played Denver years ago and I was watching it again after we played them and just couldn't believe all of the coverage looks he was making Romo deal with.

I'm a big fan of this hire. Go get him some pass rushers and hopefully find a way to keep Byron and this thing should turn around pretty quick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
im not really putting any stock in any of the new coaches past.. lets give them a shot here its different team, different players , different era and for sure who they had as an offense that could have kept them on the field more etc. etc

way too many factors good or bad to use past stats as a predictor for whats to come here..

they doo have unique situation where I think 18 defensive players are FAS so now they can keep or release the ones that dont fit the new vision of scheme here and get a lot of new pieces to make it work.. they also have our offense which was successful we can run and pass to help the defense.. this isnt a total rebuild and have enough to be successful..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So your saying Dak vs average to good defenses will be a factor as to why Nolan's defense will get exposed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think the 2012 Falcons are, by and large, the type of team the Cowboys are trying to create. Smith/Nolan's defense that year wasn't particularly talented, but it was opportunistic. 5th in takeaways, 5th in points. Throw the ball A LOT.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will say dak is better than all of the qbs that Nolan was the DC of.
Yes that includes Matt ryan

They are all about the same to me. We have a chance as long as we keep the ground game going and not try to win through the air too much. Efficiency is key and keeping our defense off the field.

ondaedg

Reaction score
They are all about the same to me. We have a chance as long as we keep the ground game going and not try to win through the air too much. Efficiency is key and keeping our defense off the field.

My Michigan Wolverines have been using that offensive philosophy and all it does is gets them L's against good teams. In today's NFL it's about attacking a weakness with what you have and not about trying to stick to some type of offensive theme. Whatever their weakness is what you do and if anything that is the change that I'm hoping McCarthy brings vs the Garrett system of we do our thing no matter who the opponent is.

kskboys

Reaction score

Using points against to gauge a D is mostly inaccurate. You're not considering ST's, starting field position, type of O being run, etc... when you use points as a rating system. That's why the NFL uses yards, it's a more accurate evaluation tool because every yard given up was given up by the D.

kskboys

Reaction score
My Michigan Wolverines have been using that offensive philosophy and all it does is gets them L's against good teams. In today's NFL it's about attacking a weakness with what you have and not about trying to stick to some type of offensive theme. Whatever their weakness is what you do and if anything that is the change that I'm hoping McCarthy brings vs the Garrett system of we do our thing no matter who the opponent is.
College ball and NFL ball are two different animals. TENN just won two playoff games using this formula.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

We have 2 major weaknesses. Our defense and daks arm vs average or better defenses. Running helps with both issues.

ondaedg

Reaction score
College ball and NFL ball are two different animals. TENN just won two playoff games using this formula.

My Dallas Cowboys have been using this system and all it does is give them L's against good teams. There fixed it.